Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 AM

725 posts, read 2,323,550 times

Advertisements

I hear they want to tout this as the new Marketing slogan for Downtown Phx.

Are they crazy? Who comes up with these dumb ideas for Downtown anyway? There have got to more Urban hearts in Arizona than Downtown Phx. I'm sure Tucson, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, and Glendale consider their Downtowns to be their Urban cores - so what's up with this retarded name??????????

Hey here's an idea -----------
how about getting more things to do in Downtown Phx besides just work 8-5 and leave. Then after the place becomes hotter at all hours, develop your Marketing slogan.

I know they needed a better name than Copper Square, but Arizona's Urban heart isn't any less lame.

Sorry, try again and come back when you have something that works!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,949,361 times
I agree they need to develop an identity first then slogan it, but at the same time, it's much better then Copper Square because that was actually a name whereas this is a slogan...so it's Downtown Phoenix: Arizona's Urban Heart. The Copper Square didn't say Downtown anywhere...so unless you were in the know, people had no idea.

As for more things to do...what suggestions do you have that would make you and others frequent downtown a lot more often?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I agree they need to develop an identity first then slogan it, but at the same time, it's much better then Copper Square because that was actually a name whereas this is a slogan...so it's Downtown Phoenix: Arizona's Urban Heart. The Copper Square didn't say Downtown anywhere...so unless you were in the know, people had no idea.

As for more things to do...what suggestions do you have that would make you and others frequent downtown a lot more often?
Wasn't there supposed to be an Entertainment-bar-club district built that would have rivaled Burbon street in New Orleans? That's what I heard. Anyway what happened to that plan?????

Get City scape built to it's full potential, put in more storefronts, adult entertainment, places that people actually want to go after dark.

I just think that Arizona's Urban heart sounds lame - especially when there's a lot more than 1 Urban heart in Arizona. Phoenix alone has several districts and well-known Intersections that could be considered Urban meccas.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be an Entertainment-bar-club district built that would have rivaled Burbon street in New Orleans? That's what I heard. Anyway what happened to that plan?????
The recession/real estate bust. I think the area you're referring to was the Jackson Street Entertainment District.

This newest slogan/nickname is poorly conceived and couldn't come at a worse time for Downtown Phoenix. Besides, IMHO, Arizona's "urban heart" are found in places like Mill Avenue in Tempe, Fourth Avenue in Tucson, and maybe San Francisco Street in Flagstaff.

Notice how all three are relatively close to the major universities...

Downtown Phoenix needs to find an identity first (if a couple of breaks go its way, especially CityScape and ASU Downtown, it just might happen), and then work on a slogan, instead of creating a slogan every ten years hoping that will bring people back downtown beyond Suns and Diamondbacks games.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Downtown Phoenix doesn't need another name or catchy slogan. This one is perhaps worse than "Copper Square". Give it up, PR hacks.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Downtown Phoenix doesn't need another name or catchy slogan. This one is perhaps worse than "Copper Square". Give it up, PR hacks.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM

116 posts, read 368,667 times
I heard all about this saturday evening while driving, listening to a DJ on 92.3FM.
He invited listeners to call in and announce good sayings for Phoenix.

The DJ explained that some marketing company was paid the tune of $160,000 or thereabouts for this funny saying.

The DJ compared Vegas saying as "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas", and Callers made some really funny ones aside from the typical "It's a Dry Heat". The listeners who called in made some saying in regards to the top kidnapping capital, and others about illegal immigrants, i believe about cars stolen etc. It was pretty comical.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM

549 posts, read 1,560,320 times
The problem is nobody is going to go downtown because of this slogan. Can you really picture anybody saying, "I know what to do tonight - let's go to Arizona's urban heart!"

Downtown will recover when there are interesting things there that you can't get anywhere else that people want to go to. It will recover when more residents live there. It will recover when there are conventions and hotels and light rail and things to do downtown. Downtown Phoenix is making strides on all of those. It doesn't need a catchy slogan, frankly.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

39,090 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Arizona's urban heart was transplanted long ago - to the suburbs.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,949,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
The problem is nobody is going to go downtown because of this slogan. Can you really picture anybody saying, "I know what to do tonight - let's go to Arizona's urban heart!"
Again, it's a slogan, not a name.

Do people say "I know what to do this weekend...let's go to What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."?

No, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area