Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
This was just a ruse to p*ss off Tucson
That wouldn't surprise me, and unfortunately, it's sad.

The Phoenix area is over 4 times the size of Tucson's, yet they still need to find a way to p*ss off Tucson? It sounds a little insecure (and for what reason?) to me...

I hope Tucson doesn't become like Phoenix (not because I dislike Phoenix), but because it has the opportunity right now to be something different, and Phoenix should respect that. We do not need two cities like PHX in AZ (just like we wouldn't need two cities like Tucson in AZ).

It would be nice if more people from each city would just respect (and find value in) the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
There is a completely different vibe in Tucson than what you'll find in Phoenix. Probably has something to do with the UofA and Davis-Monthan being the two economic powerhouses in the region.

Personally, I'm glad the two cities have separate vibes. I'd hate the thought of Tucson being exactly like Phoenix and vice versa.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I can't think of anything unique or memorable about "Arizona's Urban Heart." Build the downtown, people will come, *then* it develops an identity. Not the other way around.
Exactly! Not to mention it reads almost like Heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
As a NOLA native - Phoenix couldn't re-create a Bourbon Street atmosphere or attitude if they wanted too. The French Quarter has a soul that is over 250 years old and is a one of a kind place.

Phoenix has NO soul. No vibe, no history, no pulse.
God and most around here know I'm a fan of urban environments and lively and vibrant downtowns. This being said, having recently returned from NOLA where I wasted my time and money in pursuit of my romantic notion of it even though some people had told me what it really looks like, I hope Phoenix never develops such a stinky soul (not that it can...)! Oh, yeah, and to make it clearer, I'm originally from Europe, so history and age are no excuses for stench and dilapidation!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
God and most around here know I'm a fan of urban environments and lively and vibrant downtowns. This being said, having recently returned from NOLA where I wasted my time and money in pursuit of my romantic notion of it even though some people had told me what it really looks like, I hope Phoenix never develops such a stinky soul (not that it can...)! Oh, yeah, and to make it clearer, I'm originally from Europe, so history and age are no excuses for stench and dilapidation!
Agreed! Phoenix is my home and I support it but I'm very well aware we need to diversify our economy and create an urban presence. That being said, I was just shocked that someone from New Orleans would criticize Phoenix in such a bold manner. New Orleans has major problems with poverty, unemployment, crime, disease and weather. If Phoenix had to adopt the third world living conditions of New Orleans just to acquire a cultural vibe then it's not worth it in my opinion. I want us to develop a cultural identity but not the expense of sacraficing basic human necessities.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-12-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM

150 posts, read 457,726 times
Default Very well put!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If life is too short for growling then why do you growl so much about Phoenix particularly in nearly every thread I might add. If you can't handle criticism regarding New Orleans then perhaps you should think twice before making this your personal sounding board to criticize Phoenix. I've read your posts and nearly all of them are critical of Phoenix. It's obvious, you have an agenda to vent about Phoenix. Maybe others ignored it but I'm not going to. Anyway, I was trying to be civil and let it go, but seeing the stance that you are taking, I won't hesitate to call you out on your statements regarding Phoenix seeing as you routinely make up facts about the city since are heavily biased against it. I particularly enjoyed your erroneous and contrived statements about how the IT industry doesn't grow here even during strong times which is completely inaccurate as the hardware industry exploded (which is also part of the IT industry grew) in the 90's. I just laughed when I read that but ignored it because it was obvious you had no clue what you were talking about. Unlike you, I know more than enough IT recruiters who worked at companies like Hall Kinion, Robert Half, K-Force etc who made a fortune here based on dotcoms alone. You didn't even live here long enough to qualify your opinion on that issue seeing as most of the growth in the IT industry occurred in the 90's and early 2000's when you didn't live here. I have read your other critical threads in the past and ignored them out of civility. I just figured you missed home and just wanted to vent. I felt bad for you. However, you are no longer getting a free pass from me. Just like with your inaccurate statements about the IT job industry, the next time you choose to contrive some rubbish about Phoenix, I'm going to call you out on it. Guess what, you can't just make up whatever you want about Phoenix any longer.
Great job!!!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Too bad the city didn't save the tax payers $160,000. The city could have used the money to keep the library hours from cut-backs or maybe bought some paint to cover up all the UGLY graffiti...sad, sad, sad.
Sad and misinformed. The money did not come from the City, it came from the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area