Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM

108 posts, read 362,462 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else heard of the "self-move " companies?
This is where they bring you a cubicle that you pack your stuff in,
they put it on with a semi-truck going to your city and drop it off where you want, you unload it. Then they come and pick up the cubicle.

I am going from Cleveland to Phoenix, about 2000 miles.

the cost for a uhaul truck, including a car tow is about 1900. add about
200 for insurance and it is around 2100 probably NOT including gas for the truck, which probably only gets 10-12 miles per gallon.

I am comparing THAT with the self-move companies which cost about
2300, and I am not sure if that includes any insurance.

I know I would save on gas driving my little Honda Civic instead of a Uhaul
truck.And it would much more comfortable to do.

Has anyone had experience or heard anything about these self move companies? I had never heard of them before. I am only taking with me
about 40 Boxes of stuff, so to me to pack them in the cubicle and truck transport them sounds pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

Thanks.

Bob, in Cleveland but coming to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM

24,512 posts, read 26,056,201 times
Bob,
Check the CD Moving forum. You can do a search, but if I remember correctly the some of the threads had "Pod" in the title.

General Moving Issues Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM

108 posts, read 362,462 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you. I will indeed check it out.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,078,964 times
When we moved from Chicago to Phoenix in 2001, we did the ABF U Pack. It was great ! The truck part was in my driveway and I took my time packing it. It arrived in Phoenix when they said it would and I hired a couple guys to unload it here. The rates were great and I was very pleased.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,234,731 times
We used a POD. It was very convenient in that it sits ground level, so there is no lifting. Also, you have 30 days to get it packed, moved and unpacked before paying for an additional month, so in essence you are loading/unloading at your leisure. While it may be cheaper than other methods, please know that the final price you will pay is higher than you think. They nickel and dime you to death. You need insurance (for the POD itself, add more if you want your contents insured), you need to buy their locks for the POD, (it is a funky design and any old padlock will not fit), and they added a gas surcharge way before we even got to $3/gal of gasoline. I think there was more, but offhand I can not remember what else they charged for.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM

550 posts, read 3,267,973 times
I second the recommendation of ABF's U-Pack program. We've used it for a couple cross-country moves and have had excellent experiences all the way around. And they'll also match other company's quotes. We found a no-name company quoting a couple hundred dollars less than what we'd received from ABF and when we took it back to ABF, they matched it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area