Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, my views arent radical, you need to know what a radical viewpoint is. And deporting illegals is not radical or extremist, not in any sense of the word(s). Secondly, I understand their plight, and I do sympathize with them on that part, I really do. However, there are still laws that need to be followed, regardless. And of course they dont come here to expect the highlife, thats a given. They do come here to expect a lot though. They expect us to pay for their babies (which we do). They expect us to pay for their health-care (which we do). They expect us to learn Spanish, too. I cant tell you how many times Ive been expected to speak Spanish, its ridiculous! Are those not expectations?
Your view isn't radical. I share the same view. Your attitude is radical and I don't mean that in a skateboarding sense. This is a problem but we should handle it with class and not demonize these people in the process. I'm one of those people who have delivered their babies and treat them in the hospital. Again, what would you do in their situation? Wouldn't you come here so that your child could be an American citizen and reap the benefits of being an American. They don't expect you to speak Spanish. Learning a foreign language is not easy especially when you are an adult. A lot of them are embarrassed by their English accent. I've noticed most of them try to speak English but yes they mostly speak Spanish. I don't blame these people for doing what they do. At the same time, we have to do everything we can to prevent them from coming here. I just feel like a lot of people make them out to be something less than human in the process.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-01-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Your view isn't radical. I share the same view. Your attitude is radical and I don't mean that in a skateboarding sense. This is a problem but we should handle it with class and not demonize these people in the process.
We DO handle it with class for the most part. You should learn more about the way illegal immigrant cases are handled in other countries before you call Americans and the way we view/handle illegal immigration as "radical". Do you know what the Mexican gov't does to illegal immigrants in Mexico? Yeah, its not pretty. Americans, I think, are far too nice to illegals, hence the reason many cross the border several times after being caught. Its not even a slap on the wrist here. If the USA processed and treated illegals like they do in Mexico, illegals would NEVER try to come back.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Silverbear: This is exactly why I didn't post this on immigration boards! Never wanted an argument . Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard this term and what they thought about it.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,030 times
All big U.S. cities are sanctuary cities. And I don't demonize them, but I also don't want them around me in great numbers. I demonize our American system for:

Using illegal, near-slave labor.
Fostering business conditions that require such labor.
Hypocritically blaming the individuals, and not corporations, for their presence here.
Not dealing with Mexico, whose stated goal is to export their poor and criminals here.

It's a complex issue, and unfortunately, our economy has come to depend on slaves for profits. Our nation is now little more than an exploitive corporation, and in 20 years many American will be trying to sneak over the Canadian border for livable wages.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM

133 posts, read 376,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Absolutely. If youre here and not supposed to be, youre breaking the law, regardless of where you come from.
So where is Sheriff Joe, eh? Looking for Canadians playing golf in Scottsdale and Mesa? I don't think so.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 PM

133 posts, read 376,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
GET REAL!

The problem is on our southern border. Canada is a first world country. Canadians are english speaking and middle class. Canada only has 31 million people (less than CA) and a low birth rate. Mexico has 140 million people and is exploding due to high birthrate. Mexico is a third world country mired in poverty, disease and corruption. And those problems follow the illegals when they come north – don’t kid yourself

Canadians are not driving public hospitals into bankruptcy.
Canadian women aren't popping out anchor babies like rabbits.
Canadians that overstay their visas don't number in the millions like undocumented Mexicans. And they are not joining gangs and committing crimes.
Canadians don't claim that part of the United States is rightfully theirs.
This is easy and the list could go on.
Do you have any proof for your assertions? Ever heard of B.C. Bud? Canadian pot smugglers? Anchor babies? Surely you or at least one of your grandparents, is an "anchor baby?"

What part of ""Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

don't you understand?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Silverbear: This is exactly why I didn't post this on immigration boards! Never wanted an argument . Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard this term and what they thought about it.
Yes I heard this term before and it was in reference to Austin, TX., which is supposed to be a Sanctuary City. I didn't know that about Phoenix, but I guess at one time, those in charge thought it was a good thing?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM

2,785 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Yes I heard this term before and it was in reference to Austin, TX., which is supposed to be a Sanctuary City. I didn't know that about Phoenix, but I guess at one time, those in charge thought it was a good thing?
Actually, my point is that Phoenix and most other cities have never declared themselves to be "sanctuary cities." Instead, it's a phrase used by others who believe that these cities are too welcoming toward illegal immigrants. Personally, I think the phrase "sanctuary city" is too ambiguous and too oversimplified to be the basis for an intelligent discussion about immigration issues. There should be plenty of room for thoughtful debate about immigration, but the discussion should be based on specific policies and not on a simplistic label used by outspoken media figures.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
When I deal with illegals, it reminds of an older time in America when the customer was always right. They are polite and respectful and do what they were told. I personally can't stand this new generation of American workers in the service industry. They give you attitude and act like they are too good for their job. They have no work ethic and feel its their right to be rude and grumpy.
Did you ever think that maybe the reason they're so polite and respectful is fear of being deported back to where they came from? In my own encounters, I've experienced that their children who become legal citizens by birth can be just as ungrateful and rude with an attitude as the American workers that you can't stand.

Last edited by ITChick; 07-01-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Actually, my point is that Phoenix and most other cities have never declared themselves to be "sanctuary cities." Instead, it's a phrase used by others who believe that most cities are too welcoming toward illegal immigrants.
So if Phoenix never declared itself as a "Sanctuary City", where did PhxBarb get the idea from? My understanding is a place like Austin, TX., which I understand is proud of that label, would protect illegal immigrants in case they are in trouble. Is it just an assumption out there that any city in the Southwest would do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area