Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,309,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
the rental thing seems silly to me

the hoa would rather see an empty, forclosed home than a filled one? perhaps, in some situations, that may be better!
We agree w/ that! The very people on the HOA changing the CC&R's may very well one day need to rent out their homes and oh well. I'm just glad we got out and our place rented. Or another scenario, a lot of older people live there. Someone passes away and then the homse sits vacant cause the family can't rent it out and the property is going through probate. AHHHHHHHHHHH So many things they just haven't really considered becasue they just don't like renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM

812 posts, read 2,309,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
HOA's are made up as a whole of ALL the residents of the community. I was under the impression that when the rules (CC&R's) are to be changed, a majority vote, or approval, of those residents were needed to make the changes.
Ours is that way, is yours?
They have been talking about changing the CC&R's for several years now and the newsletters that we get monthly says that the CC&R's are at the attorney's and they are rewriting them and so there is no vote on this one. They stated in our newsletter that all homes owner occupied were going to stay that way and rentals could stay rentals until they were sold. I wouldn't think that would be a good selling point that someone (Can't rent out their property) This according to the newsletter.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,780,784 times
Some HOA's are good and some, like mine, seem to be run by people who are on meth.

About two years ago, they sent me a letter stating that I had to pay a fine and ask for approval (with drawings and all) for the extended cement driveway that I had on the west side of my house.

Well, I have rock on the west side of the house. I don't have an extended driveway anywhere. They did not believe me. Finally, my neighbor, who's on the "architectural committee", told them there was no driveway.

And no, they did not apologize.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 AM

8 posts, read 23,862 times
Before buying ask if you can sit in a meeting. I was a member of ours. You will always have a bossy person and a whiner person. But you will get a good or bad feeling just sitting through one and understanding what they feel are items of importance to be dealt with.
Landscaping is always a fun one! They can't all agree on what color flowers they want out at the entrance! But I found the people mostly caring and nice. Many are retired and need something to do. I enjoyed ours very much! (Scottsdale Ranch) ~

Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,716 times
Thanks to all who replied.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:01 PM

105 posts, read 446,658 times
It always seemed to me that there were two pulling forces that ruined an HOA community.
1.) There are people who use HOA's as insurance to increasing property values. Whatever they can compel that will make the neighborhood (and thus their home) more valuable, they are all for. The HOA could want the streets paved in gold, and they would be for it because they are only going to pay a few more months of dues, and stick everyone else with the full capital expense and maintenance.
2.) You have the outlaws and freedom fighters. They want to build a 60 ft observatory on their roof, and let their friends and cousins park their broken cars in their yard.
3.) You have everyone else, who want a nice home and neighborhood but still want to be able to enjoy it.

The big problem comes when rules are changed and / or enforced selectively. I've written before about how my street was the first one the City of Mesa garbage truck came to in the morning. The HOA said no trash cans out before 6 am. The city said the trucks would come no earlier than 6 am. But, the trash man did come before 6 am, almost every week. Fines for me for putting the trash out at 5:30; or when I knew I would sleep in, the night before. Yes, fines even for putting trash out at 5:50. Also, if you were friends with the board and architecture approval committee, petition granted. Same proposal (deck for example), and a newcomer or gasp!...someone critical of the board....denied. The most frustrating thing was the lack of flexibility, selective enforcement, and the retired busy-body who honestly enjoyed reporting violations so much that it was unhealthy.

Yes, I am sure the neighborhood looked better than it otherwise would. However, it was also much more expensive than it otherwise would be. The President's children liked to vandalize the sprinklers in one of the greenbelts, especially during HOA meetings when mommy and daddy left them alone. 3 different increases in monthly dues (nearly doubled) to pay for water used, erosion, and labor and materials for new ones).

I have also said, my parents live in a wonderful gated community where their assessments are very reasonable, and things seem to be great. I think alot of it depends on the HOA board, and the property management company (personal experience with embezzlement by one in particular).

Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,651,762 times
Personally, I think HOAs are fundamentally offensive to American notions of freedom and liberty as expressed in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

But some folks seem to like 'em.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,261,552 times
Quote:
HOA's are made up as a whole of ALL the residents of the community. I was under the impression that when the rules (CC&R's) are to be changed, a majority vote, or approval, of those residents were needed to make the changes.
That probably depends on what state you live in. I have a small place on a lake and they changed ours with out asking me. They have a board there and they can vote to change anything they want to even if you don't like it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,261,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Thanks to all who replied.
I'd say stay away from them if you can....they are for rich people that can afford to hire someone to do everything for them..

Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM

28 posts, read 87,198 times
Quote:
HOA's get their authority from the homeowners. If the CC&Rs state that the HOA board (or president or whatever) can change certain rules and restrictions, then they probably can. It's really a matter of what your CC&Rs say. If the proposed change is inconsistent with the CC&Rs, then the homeowners would have to vote. In short, it really depends on what your CC&Rs say. Certain things are left up to the discretion of the board. You wouldn't want to have to take a community vote everytime you needed a new landscaper. But is a rental restriction within their authority? That depends on your specific CC&Rs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area