Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 AM

95 posts, read 467,100 times

Advertisements

Logistic Analyst, mostly for telecom companies. Also I don't have a degree , so i know that can be a down fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is your work experience and educaton look like. Maybe I can help with some advice. I used to be a headhunter. I can't help in any real way but maybe I can provide some tips etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 AM

95 posts, read 467,100 times
Right now i'm applying for jobs online and it's 2:00am, i just kind of figured if i applied for a few hundred jobs...i have to be qualified for something. Also i try my best not apply for jobs that you need a degree, unless they'll take my work exp into consideration.

Logistic, Supply Chain, and Inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Unemployment in the Phoenix area is low, about 3.5 percent. One of the lowest in the nation (actually tied for second lowest rate of unemployment). Maybe you just weren't as qualified as other candidates that applied for those positions you were seeking...keep looking you will find something. There are many positions that require degrees that need qualified candidates. What type of employment do you seek?

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
I also have been plagued with the inability to find employment in the area. Lots of opportunities for jobs that pay a good wage. Just seem to be looked over for those jobs. I have changed my resume and focused my cover letters toward the position. Still nothing is happening. On my visits to the area many of the companies state that they only take resumes online. I read somewhere that nearly 80% of companies choose to do this. What happens is that resumes and cover letters are scanned from a data base and those that meet the requirements are forwarded to an HR rep that will then choose which ones they will send to the department that is looking for an aplicant. You could be the right choice for the job, but if you don't get through that system they will never see or hear from you.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLuv1 View Post
Logistic Analyst, mostly for telecom companies. Also I don't have a degree , so i know that can be a down fall.
The degree won't be a problem as long as you have enough work experience(at least 3 years full time) working for a reputable company. Industries generally like to hire from within meaning they like to hire someone who worked in the same industry. Nortel Networks used to have an office on Camelback and 24th. Don't know if its still there. Cisco has a presence here. Phoenix metro has a pretty decent telecom community. I would look up those companies and speak to their HR. Tell them you worked in the telecom industry and are seeking to stay within the same industry.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I also have been plagued with the inability to find employment in the area. Lots of opportunities for jobs that pay a good wage. Just seem to be looked over for those jobs. I have changed my resume and focused my cover letters toward the position. Still nothing is happening. On my visits to the area many of the companies state that they only take resumes online. I read somewhere that nearly 80% of companies choose to do this. What happens is that resumes and cover letters are scanned from a data base and those that meet the requirements are forwarded to an HR rep that will then choose which ones they will send to the department that is looking for an aplicant. You could be the right choice for the job, but if you don't get through that system they will never see or hear from you.
Yup, you are right. Companies have a lot of red tape which is why you have to somehow get past HR and find the names of individual managers. Most companies have the same e-mail format so you can guess their e-mail once you get their name.

I would not attach a cover letter since your e-mail will be your cover letter and no one reads the cover letter anyway. Keep your resume short and sweet. Don't list hobbies and other junk. Specify under each job title, exactly what your responsibilities were since that's the first thing they will read. Specify exactly what you did. Specify projects you were in. Also, specify any money saved or productivity you provided. Make sure to tell them you are not a headhunter and representing yourself for the job.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I thought last month you said you already were employed and making a lot of money or will be here in Phoenix; I'll find that posting were you boasted about your income.
I don't remember ever saying that I had a job yet. I have said that I have looked at a lot of them online, specifically on Jobing.com and Carreerbuilder. I also have said that if I didn't find one soon I would be communting 430 miles from my present job to our home in Surprise. But you have fun looking at all my former posts to see what you can come up with. I have been in the area for three interviews and one second interview, but all those are still in limbo for now. Hopefully things will change.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM

I would not attach a cover letter since your e-mail will be your cover letter and no one reads the cover letter anyway. Keep your resume short and sweet. Don't list hobbies and other junk. Specify under each job title, exactly what your responsibilities were since that's the first thing they will read. Specify exactly what you did. Specify projects you were in. Also, specify any money saved or productivity you provided. Make sure to tell them you are not a headhunter and representing yourself for the job.[/quote]

so true. it took me a long time to develop a resume that would have people call me back. I read everything I could find on the subject. Many of the online job posting services have help areas that assist in the process. Basically it comes down to what you can do for an employer, not what you do for fun. If it is not something that can help out the employer keep it off the resume. Accomplishments are a big thing. Here I am saying this and I have yet to land a job. I have worked for my present employer for the past 10 years and my resume from back then seems like something out of the stone age. Why would you use valuable space to inform the prospective employer that "References are available upon request"? Of course you will provide references and that is something that you don't need to inform them about. In addition to all this I put together a portfolio that I can bring to the interview. (Along with copies to give potential employers.) I have a hard copy and an electronic version. I know that we are way off track from the original question. So I am going to end this now.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,439,263 times
Quote:
Unemployment in the Phoenix area is low, about 3.5 percent. One of the lowest in the nation (actually tied for second lowest rate of unemployment). Maybe you just weren't as qualified as other candidates that applied for those positions you were seeking...keep looking you will find something. There are many positions that require degrees that need qualified candidates. What type of employment do you seek?

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas
Frankie my man...I know you like researching and digging up stuff but statistics is just that, statistics my frrrrriend....it does not have a pulse, does not always tell the truth and can be fudged and nudged in many ways to reflect what the person is trying to accomplish. Ask any actuary or statician. While I appreciate and read all your comments and researches, I think you might be a bit too much of a statistical kinda guy. I'm not sayin, but I am just sayin....toot a loot!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLuv1 View Post
I've been laid off for 2 months, and just within a week i applied for 70 jobs and still nothing . I applied to most of the companies on this list, and either the positionwas cancelled, and i was told by a email, or they picked someone else. So that let's me know the unemployment rate is high here in PHX.
Hoooly Shizzzoooooly.....you'd think at least you'd get a one phone call back, hey? where is the law of averages when you need it?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
This might sound odd, but the worst way to find a job is to simply respond to the public job openings. The whole cover letter/resume/job board approach is almost useless and horribly frustrating.

It's painful for job seekers, but also painful for employers. I'll post some suggestions later.
HUH??? come again? Most of my jobs that I have found are from either monster.com or careerbuilder.com. How do you hear about your job opening? smoke signals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: