Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:28 AM

6 posts, read 16,830 times

Advertisements

I lived in Plattsburg Ny, and Burlington Vt! I will never go back, I love the southwest. If you are goint to MMI, look in North Phoenix. Very nice, very new, good school system. Very different from upstate NY, but if you are looking for a change, I think you will find phoenix refreshing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 25,233 times
Thanks for everyone's advice. We are looking forward to the move( the count down begins) I don't mid the exixtence of Walmart etc. I just don't want to live in a commercially over run area. Where ever we end up will be wonderful I am sure and now I'm just hopng to survive the 3000mile road trip with the kids

Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 25,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
MMI is in the Deer Valley area. It's a pretty decent and safe area, but nowhere near a Greenwich Village feel, as I'm sure Albany isn't either. Albany is a pretty small city and it will feel different here, for sure. My whole family is from a small town between Albany and Syracuse, so I know it's night and day to compare Phx to upstate. I learn good driving manners everytime I'm up there as otherwise I stuck out like a sore thumb. Just about everything will be different here, from the people, the driving, the cost of living, ect.
Hey I'm from an even SMALLER town outside of Utica

FYI I live about 4 miles from MMI in North Phx in the new Pulte community that just went up on Bell & 19th ave, I can answer specific questions about the area once you guys get out here. You wont find that feel in Phoenix anywhere but after the initial adjustment its great! Get a good agent and keep an eye on the market, you'll find the prices to be pretty sweet compared to Albany!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:15 PM

I had family in Utica and roomates from Hamilton when I was home in Rochester! Did you find the adjustment difficult? The closer ew get to the actual move the more aware of the culture shock I become. I can't wait. I will be working for the Madison school district, it's not too far from MMI.I will take all the help I can get.I appreciate everything.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,856 times
I've been to Albany and upstate NY, and NOWHERE here, will you find anything like THAT. Albany is very different from Greenwich Village in NYC, even the downtown area is a throw back to the early Dutch and French settlements.

You won't find the ethnic foods you knew back east either here, but you can cook them at home...I love Mexican, but it gets old.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
I lived in Plattsburg Ny, and Burlington Vt! I will never go back, I love the southwest. If you are goint to MMI, look in North Phoenix. Very nice, very new, good school system. Very different from upstate NY, but if you are looking for a change, I think you will find phoenix refreshing!
Wow, Plattsburgh and Burlington are beautiful areas with trees. Here, we have these little shrubs that they prune the lower bushes off and brace them upright, planted at the end of the parking aisles to provide for some shade. I have seen them unpruned, and they are shrubs, not trees.

Upstate NY has trees.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I've been to Albany and upstate NY, and NOWHERE here, will you find anything like THAT. Albany is very different from Greenwich Village in NYC, even the downtown area is a throw back to the early Dutch and French settlements.

You won't find the ethnic foods you knew back east either here, but you can cook them at home...I love Mexican, but it gets old.
my mother inlaw is giving us trouble about moving so I have started making things up , I told her we were moving there because my kids like tacos and we couldnt get good mexican here (not necesarily true- but great fun to torture).

Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Wow, Plattsburgh and Burlington are beautiful areas with trees. Here, we have these little shrubs that they prune the lower bushes off and brace them upright, planted at the end of the parking aisles to provide for some shade. I have seen them unpruned, and they are shrubs, not trees.

Upstate NY has trees.
Yep and four feet of snow six months out of the year!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

96 posts, read 442,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalbany View Post
my mother inlaw is giving us trouble about moving so I have started making things up , I told her we were moving there because my kids like tacos and we couldnt get good mexican here (not necesarily true- but great fun to torture).
Now, this is funny!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,681,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalbany View Post

A good reason to move--distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area