Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times

Advertisements

Be sure to watch from your offices...it has been too long a wait and I can't wait for December, I'll forget how to drive, LOL!

Light rail to make first appearance downtown

by Casey Newton - Jul. 9, 2008 03:22 PM
The Arizona Republic

A light rail vehicle will make its maiden voyage downtown Thursday morning as part of testing for the 20-mile starter line that opens at the end of the year.
Metro light rail is asking everyone to be mindful of the train as they are walking and driving through downtown tomorrow. They urged pedestrians and motorists to obey all traffic signals and to watch for the train as they enter intersections.
Metro will bring the train to the Central and Washington station at 10 a.m., said Hillary Foose, a Metro spokeswoman. Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and Metro CEO Rick Simonetta will be aboard the car for its first trip to the center of the city.
From there, the train is expected to travel as far north as McDowell Road before returning to Metro's operations center. Although testing will continue along the southeastern portion of the line, the train isn't expected to return to downtown Phoenix for further tests until early August, Foose said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Yea, I saw that in the online paper as well...should be cool, hopefully someone can snap some pictures.

On another note...Cityscape has a tower crane going up!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,234 times
Yea I can't wait for this thing to finally get going. Anybody have a link, Ive been checking out the www.valleymetro.org site, and I can't find one that tells where its gonna be going. Just future expansions.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM

What do you mean? Like where all the stations will be for the starter line? Here is a list of all the stations opening Dec. 27th...

19th Avenue and Montebello

Camelback and 19th Avenue

Camelback and 7th Ave

Camelback and Central Avenue

Campbell and Central Avenue

Indian School and Central Avenue

Osborn and Central Avenue

Thomas and Central Avenue

Encanto and Central Avenue

McDowell and Central Avenue

Roosevelt and Central Avenue

Van Buren and Central Avenue

Van Buren and 1st Avenue

Washington and Central Avenue

1st Avenue and Jefferson

3rd Street and Washington

3rd Street and Jefferson

12th Street and Washington

12th Street and Jefferson

24th Street and Washington

24th Street and Jefferson

38th Street and Washington

44th Street and Washington

Priest and Washington

Third Street and Mill

Fifth Street and College

University Drive and Rural Road

Dorsey and Apache Blvd.

McClintock and Apache

Smith-Martin and Apache

Price Freeway and Apache Boulevard

Sycamore and Main Street

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,234 times
Yea that helps alot, I was looking for the stops. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Videos and pictures taken by others...

It's insane how many people showed up for this! People are excited about this which is great to see!

YouTube - METRO Light Rail

YouTube - METRO Light Rail

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/CIMG0659.jpg (broken link)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/CIMG0622.jpg (broken link)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/CIMG0628.jpg (broken link)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/CIMG0645.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
I would have loved to be there today, but this thing called work got in the way. I rode on one of the rail cars at the operations center when I attended a conference there a few months ago. It's an amazingly smooth and quiet ride. It's great to see the level of enthusiasm generated by this test and also by the tests conducted in Downtown Tempe over the 4th of July.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM

The trains are amazing and the ride is smooth! Hardly made "noise" but you can tell when its moving. Sounds like a large Chevy truck on the road. Many people who did not know about the test were running to the station thinking they could ride it, LOL! They were saying, "it's already running?" And a few groups telling each other: "let's get food uptown!" Then were upset when they discovered it was just a test run. It was pretty cool.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Welcome to the modern age, PHX, pretty neat, eh? lol

j/k

Looks pretty cool. Cant wait to try it next time Im in PHX. Whats the furthest NE/E stop?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Welcome to the modern age, PHX, pretty neat, eh? lol

j/k

Looks pretty cool. Cant wait to try it next time Im in PHX. Whats the furthest NE/E stop?
The furthest "northeastern" stop is Central and Camelback, LOL! The lightrail only travels through the central areas of the valley. I don't think Scottsdale will be getting one any time soon; the residents wouldn't dream of having a train running through their hood.

The furtherst eastern stop is somewhere in Mesa...further east than Scottsdale, but again, Scottsdale doesn't seem too keen on the idea of mass transit in their fair city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area