Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM

51 posts, read 180,229 times

Advertisements

When do people generally stop swimming in their pools in Phoenix? What do people do with their pools during the winter? Cover them, drain them or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
Depends on your comfort level...but we swim into late September usually, maybe even October if it's still hot enough outside.

In the winter we do nothing...no cover, no draining...just regular maintenance like in the summer, but you can actually do it bi-weekly vs weekly since no one is using it. It does have to be maintained though or else it will turn green.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,469 times
If you have a heated pool, you can pretty much swim most days year round, depending on your tolerance. In winter, best at midday. In the height of summer, best in the early morning or evening. I am from Cleveland-my son and his friends swam there on Memorial Day-even if it was only 50' outside... ;-) I live in an apartment complex, and our pool is open 365.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times
I swam in my pool (without heating) from late April into early Oct. Of course, some people may have a tolerance for cooler water and extend the season. If your pool is heated, potentially you can swim all year, but you're more likely not to want to swim from Dec. into Feb.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
We just get sick of swimming around late Aug. and Sept. I mean there is only so much swimming you can do before your done for the year. We swim a lot in May, June, July and then when the monsoon comes so does the slow down. Way more cleaning and chems come with the storms.
Since there is no snow or not much rain you can just maintain your pool like always and it uses less chemicals in the winter. Not that big of a deal for us.
In our old house we had a heater for the pool but we only used it about 3 times. Wasn't worth the cost for us. We just didn't feel like swimming in the winter, it just feels like a spring and summer thing for us. Don't know why really. ha

Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew2773 View Post
When do people generally stop swimming in their pools in Phoenix? What do people do with their pools during the winter? Cover them, drain them or what?
Mine is over for the summer. The water is about 90 degrees, not even comfortable. Our pool is heated so we swim the other 9 months. Anyway I'm north for the better part of the hot season; I can cruise 5 miles out onto Lake Michigan and go swimming if I get the urge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area