Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Arizona: great schools, rental, renting, buying a mobile home, Phoenix, weather.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,664 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone....This is some great info on here. I posted this in a response as well but thought I might get a better response if I started a new thread. Sorry for repeating all this info in a new thread.

My wife and I are considering a move from Michigan to Arizona within the next 18 months. I have been checking out as much info as I can on the Phoenix and surrounding areas and have become overwhelmed.

We are looking for a nice area, decent housing prices, family/kid friendly as we have small children (2, 7 & 10), good schools, and a low crime rate. Is that asking to much...HAHAHA

The economy is TERRIBLE here in Michigan and I've heard that the economy in the Phoenix area is doing really well, especially in the employment area. Plus I am really tired of dealing with Michigan winters and looking for a warmer climate. I know it gets hot in Phoenix but I'm sure the humidity is much lower than it is here in the great lakes region.

Can anyone suggest areas that my wife and I might look at. I've read about several cities, Gilbert, Chandler, etc and they all sound great, but what would be the consensus on a city or two to look at for a couple of newbie's from Michigan with kids?

Also, would we be better off to rent a home when we first get out there or possibly buy a mobile home? In Michigan, mobile home living is a really cheap way to go. We sold our home and purchased a mobile home when I was layed off from my job and I decided to go back to school...it was definetely the right move because we found a really nice, family friendly park and our cost of living was dirt cheap.

I just don't know anything about mobile home parks in AZ. Some places (such as where we live) have really nice parks and residents. What are they like in AZ? I've looked at the lot rents at some of the parks there ($400+ per month) and it's REALLY high compared to what we pay here.

Lastly, anyone know anything about the opportunities in the Paralegal field that are available out that way? I just graduated with my Associate of Business in Paralegal and there's not much of a market where I live for that field. I plan on going back to school for my law degree and thought I could do that at Arizona State Unversity, but in the meantime, work in the Paralegal field would be great.

Making this move is HUGE because my kids are involved. I need to make a well informed decision. My wife and I are planning on flying out there this fall to check out some areas and if you kind folks could give me some input to point us in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I recently moved to SE AZ from the UP of MI. I kept hearing about people from Michigan who moved to Arizona and hated it! The strange thing is that all these people that hated it moved to Phoenix. They also all said it was hot and dirty. I figure that it was too much of a change. The people I heard from were all from small towns. I think moving from a tiny town to a huge city and from a moderate climate to a very, very hot climate was too much.

And don't discount the heat. Yes, its a dry heat, but we are also slightly closer to the sun down here, and you can feel it. Compared to Michigan, it feels like the sun is searing into you. Besides, 110 degrees is 110 degrees--I don't think you care about humidity at that point, its hot!

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm not happy here, and I live in an area that is at least 10 degrees cooler (on average) than Phoenix, and near a smaller city (40,000), and I am definitely living in the nicest house we have yet, on a beautiful .5 acre with views of the mountains all around. I tell you this because I'm still unhappy. I miss the trees and water, especially Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Don't take the change in scenery too lightly--if you have spent your whole life in Michigan, it will (most likely) weigh on you after awhile. I felt horrible during June, when it gets the hottest, right before the monsoon season.

You should try to come out to visit NOW, when it is hot. At least around here, I understand Fall is the best season of the year--it has cooled off but is still warm (like MI summers), and the rains, at that point over, has made every green. Of course you are going to like it then.

Like I said, I don't want to discourage you, but I want to let you know how it has been for me so far, since I have recently made the relatively same journey. And although I have only passed through Phoenix, I would suggest looking somewhere else, just based on what I have heard from other Michiganders. Maybe somewhere smaller, in the high desert instead of the low desert, and within an easy drive to one of the mountains, so you can escape the heat and enjoy water and trees.

Oh, and disclaimer for all those living in Phoenix: I'm not saying your city is horrible or anything close to that, just that the Michiganders I have met have not been happy there.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Some of our new friends are from MI and they love it here. I would rent first to see if AZ is a good fit for you. I would also stay on the east side to avoid a freeway comute every day. Our neighbor is a paralegal and she found the best jobs are in downtown Phoenix area. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times
Crazyme is right on about the sizzling sun at 110F and above. I one time chose to walk from Chandler Mall to a strip mall across the street (Frye St.) In less than 3 min and I could feel my skin tingling from exposure to the sun. While crossing the 2 mall parking lots, I could definitely feel the intense heat reflecting off the pavement.

So to realistically gauge how you would like this place, you'd better come before end of Aug and see and feel for yourself.

Gilbert and Chandler are nice areas to look. We are also looking in both cities currently. We like them because they have nice parks, park districts, schools and seem to be family friendly.

If you could rent for 6 - 12 months that would be the best. That would allow you to learn about the area while you live here. I have looked at no less than 60 homes in 8 weeks and only in the last 2 I started to feel I am getting to know the area better.

Could not help w/ mobile home living nor work. Let's hope someone more knowledgeable would comment.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM

45 posts, read 194,464 times
The only mobile home areas that I can think of are retirement or places you wouldn't live unless you had to. Maybe someone knows different. You should definitely search through some rent prices. Arizona is not a very cheap place to live if you want a nice family area with good schools.

The economy here as a whole isn't that great. I would try to have something lined up. My husband has a bachelors degree and has been looking for a new job. One of the sites he's been using tracks jobs & searchers and said that over the last 45 days the number of job candidates has stayed the same, but the job listings have dropped by 20%. He's in upper level sales/management. Could be different in the law field.

Chandler, Gilbert & N. Scottsdale are all nice family areas. Where you would look would depend on where you work. Parts of the west valley are nice as well.

We just rented a home in McDowell Mtn. Ranch in N. Scottsdale. There are plenty of rentals since no one can sell their house. I think your idea of renting first is a good one. The average rent in North Scottsdale for a house is about $0.75 - $1 per sqft. I'm not sure about other parts of the valley or apartments.

Schools are hit and miss here. There is a lot of debate on AZ's education system so just do a search. Greatschools.net is a good place to get reviews and test results.

Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Mobil parks that I know of, one on Priest and Baseline and one across from the AZ mills mall are pretty gross and run down. They are in the city, lots of asphalt and garbage and I wouldn't live in one. There are also a couple on Main in Tempe and Mesa and the same goes for those. I'm afraid as the other post said the only nice ones I have ever seen here are retir. motor villas out in Apache Junction, or Sun City. 400 rent is cheap here actually. It's probably a dump. That's about all I know of.

I feel so bad I don't have good news in that area, other than that I think you would like at least 1/2 the year here. If you like the heat then you will love all year here! You can deal with it though just like you deal with winter. Just stay in a get comfortable, board game it, computer until the weather gets better.
There are a million rentals here, so many it would make your head spin. We had so many foreclosures here and people that just started renting because they could no longer sale it to move. You won't have any probs with that.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times
I personally would scratch the rent a house idea (unless it has a pool). I would rent an apartment close to work with a pool until you get a feel for the area. Your kids will love you and you will love it. We moved here in the middle of June a few years back (lived in ND, MN, CA,and NC) and the pool was a life saver. That first summer was a rude awakening.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,856 times
Default Honest reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I recently moved to SE AZ from the UP of MI. I kept hearing about people from Michigan who moved to Arizona and hated it! The strange thing is that all these people that hated it moved to Phoenix. They also all said it was hot and dirty. I figure that it was too much of a change. The people I heard from were all from small towns. I think moving from a tiny town to a huge city and from a moderate climate to a very, very hot climate was too much.

And don't discount the heat. Yes, its a dry heat, but we are also slightly closer to the sun down here, and you can feel it. Compared to Michigan, it feels like the sun is searing into you. Besides, 110 degrees is 110 degrees--I don't think you care about humidity at that point, its hot!

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm not happy here, and I live in an area that is at least 10 degrees cooler (on average) than Phoenix, and near a smaller city (40,000), and I am definitely living in the nicest house we have yet, on a beautiful .5 acre with views of the mountains all around. I tell you this because I'm still unhappy. I miss the trees and water, especially Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Don't take the change in scenery too lightly--if you have spent your whole life in Michigan, it will (most likely) weigh on you after awhile. I felt horrible during June, when it gets the hottest, right before the monsoon season.

You should try to come out to visit NOW, when it is hot. At least around here, I understand Fall is the best season of the year--it has cooled off but is still warm (like MI summers), and the rains, at that point over, has made every green. Of course you are going to like it then.

Like I said, I don't want to discourage you, but I want to let you know how it has been for me so far, since I have recently made the relatively same journey. And although I have only passed through Phoenix, I would suggest looking somewhere else, just based on what I have heard from other Michiganders. Maybe somewhere smaller, in the high desert instead of the low desert, and within an easy drive to one of the mountains, so you can escape the heat and enjoy water and trees.

Oh, and disclaimer for all those living in Phoenix: I'm not saying your city is horrible or anything close to that, just that the Michiganders I have met have not been happy there.
People just don't understand how hot it really is or feels. having no humidity helps when the temps aren't insanely high, but, after that hot
is hot! I have a feeling they will miss the lush green landscape.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Mobile home parks here are not that great if it's not age restricted. They are typically NOT the place to live out here.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I adjusted well moving from a cold state to a hot state. No problems at all initially. The problems comes after years of heat, it seems to have a cumalative effect (maybe like years of snowy winters).You'll be in A/C most of the day except for commutes. May is usually 95-100, very easy to take normally, June-August is always hot, hot. September can be really hot or ease up a bit (in the mornings and night times). The rest of the months are easy to take--weather wise.
I don't think the economy is a ball of fire out here, but prob. better than Michigan.
Visit for at least a week out here, then rent something would be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area