Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 27,791 times

Advertisements

Hi i am currently still in UK. I will have to get driving licence over there so will need to do driving test. Do you take this on main roads with normal on going traffic? or elsewhere. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question

MB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
They will take you around the area where the MVD is. So, find one that isn't in a busy area. I did mine at the one near the Scottsdale airpark and it was very, very calm, but they have now moved to a busier area.

It's a pretty easy test and make sure you know how to do a three point turn, which is quite easy to do. thank goodness we don't do parallel parking!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
They will take you around the area where the MVD is. So, find one that isn't in a busy area. I did mine at the one near the Scottsdale airpark and it was very, very calm, but they have now moved to a busier area.

It's a pretty easy test and make sure you know how to do a three point turn, which is quite easy to do. thank goodness we don't do parallel parking!
I believe that they used to have parallel parking as one of the tests, but they may have stopped using it today.

Another thing is that you UK'ers will have to learn how to drive on the wrong side of the street - over here across the pond!

Talk about an interesting drivers test!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
I believe that they used to have parallel parking as one of the tests, but they may have stopped using it today.
Well, I rec'd my lic in 1991 and it wasn't around then.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Well, I rec'd my lic in 1991 and it wasn't around then.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
I got my license in 1998 and I had to do the parallel parking test.

It's not so bad, and besides, everyone should know how to...I mean why not? It may come in handy once in a while, it can't hurt to know...right?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I got my license in 1998 and I had to do the parallel parking test.

It's not so bad, and besides, everyone should know how to...I mean why not? It may come in handy once in a while, it can't hurt to know...right?

Or, I could be right...

Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM

5 posts, read 27,791 times
Thanks for all the replys. 3 point turns no problems, will need to brush up parallell.

We will hopefully be taking test in Casa Grande, any ideas whether busy? also last question. Vision test, over here you stand a certain distance away from car and read the licence plate number, is it the same there.

Driving on the other side of the road is something I will have to get my head around. I will make hubby take test first:-)

Thanks

MB

Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
You will have no probs here. Mrs. Bucket.

The driving tests in the US are easy compared with the UK.

In Arizona, they might not even ask you to take an actual drive, but to simply pass an easy quiz and an eye test (where you read a chart on the wall). Even then, if you fail you can probably retake it every day until you pass.

I moved from another state 5 years ago and they didn't require a road test, but accepted the fact I had a License from another jursdiction and must have passed one somewhere along the line. I'm guessing it's been 15 years since getting a road test.

Meanwhile Arizona gave me a license that won't expire until 2034!

No wonder we have so many crappy drivers here.

As for you locals who doubt the difference, look up how much more serious a process it is to get a license in the UK. I believe they require two written tests, the main one taking an hour or so. Some video tests. Plus a road test that takes at least 45 minutes, requiring backing up around corners and other tasks. That's on top of having a Learner's permit, where you have to sport a big "L" on the car so that everyone knows you are a virgin!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 AM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
Don't worry about it. A UK licence is far harder to get than in AZ. Wait 'till you see how poorly people drive here... a magic roundabout would have the roads looking like the M25 in the morning. Welcome to the US

PS.. Mrs. Bucket!! HA.. it's pronounced 'Bouquet' ! Blast from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area