Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,358,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, I agree. We shouldn't be making a reference to an entire nationality a pejorative term. FYI, all the AA's in my extended family call Hispanics, "Spanish" - as in "some Spanish people moved in next door to me".

Yep. I've heard the term "Spanish people" many times. Its like asking someone if they speak "Mexican"!

They're confusing nationality with language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,032 times
I am African American ,been here in Phoenix Az for seven years.
Was ready to move After one year here, my wife beg me to stay on.Now we are off to Atlanta Ga.
It;s horrible here for African Americans ( pop 5.3 Percent )The Mexican Are racist toward us and some white peoples are OK.
Please take it from me don't come. P.S. Diversity is only for Mexicans

Last edited by mikegee1564; 12-14-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yep. I've heard the term "Spanish people" many times. Its like asking someone if they speak "Mexican"!

They're confusing nationality with language.
Hispanic culture is White supremacist---------the standard of beauty in both Mexico and Spain is fair skin and blue eyes----------AKA stereotypical Nordic looks.

That stated: calling a Mexican a Spaniard is a backhanded compliment........but, calling the latter 'Mexican' is fighting words.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,736 times
Default moving to AZ soon

Hello there

and welcome to Arizona! Arizona is a great place to live. I live in Gilbert, a fast growing family communitiy about twenty miles south east of Phoenix.

Phoenix is surrounded by new communities, built to accomodate the large numbers of people wanting to get out of crowed cities and the cold from back east.

I moved from Los Angeles eight years ago, overall I think that people here are quite open minded and are most interested in family values, and a safe commniuty to live in. I think you will love living in Phoenix.

You wouild certainly be very welcome in my neighbor hood. I have found a lot of great neighbors/families (including several African American) that all share the same desire-to be a part of the community safe to raise a family.

Arizona has always seemed to be interested in reinvesting in its own infrastructure. You can see your tax dollars at work well maintanied streets, public parks, diligent public servents.

There is an abudences of Chuches. My wife and I have vistited several Churches and have found all of them very welcoming to all people.

Good luck, travel safe and God bless!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 28,197 times
Default moving to phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
It's hard to say. We are an interracial family. People are generally, a little to themselves, in my opinion. I have met some very open minded people and then sometimes we get looks. But nothing is ever said, so I really dont know. My kids have always had friends at school so I don' think that is a problem. Of course, I always wonder what people are thinking, but I don't really let that stuff take over. I will tell you, my husband has been passed over by several jobs...and Im absolutely positive it was because of the color of his skin. That can happen anywhere though. For the most part we are comfortable here. if you want more in depth perception you can send me a direct message.
can you give me some more in depth information. i am an AA and i was just noticing that the pop. there for AA was 5%... Let me know whats really going on.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 AM

88 posts, read 253,315 times
I live 3miles south of downtown glendale (have all my life) and I have never felt much racial tension. I know there are some whites who are a bit annoyed at the hispanic population, because again the illegal alien thing...

Because I'm white I know some other white people will assume I share their racist views so I have had to hear a few racial rants (none that I cared for) So I think I can say with some authority that there are some real racists here, but they are unlikely to throw around racial slurs, or admit their prejudices in public. It isn't a popular view, and using a racial slur in school would have gotten you a black eye.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,729,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainarain View Post
can you give me some more in depth information. i am an AA and i was just noticing that the pop. there for AA was 5%... Let me know whats really going on.
Look at this way, it was 3% two years ago when I lived in PHX. Anyone moving to any city in the PHX metro should not have any preconceived notion that this area will have a double digit black population. What I can say with certainty is that if you're a black person you'll feel comfortable even though you won't see a lot of blacks.

However, you can have a good number friends from various racial groups if you vary the circles you choose to run in.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,747 times
We are in Surprise. There a number of black families in our neighborhood. I like it here. The area is all new. New schools and such. I see a lot of children of different races playing together. It seems very nice.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 14,006 times
I've wondered about race relations in AZ also. My hubby and I currently live in North Texas and while it is diverse it is still Texas. I wouldn't be caught dead out in the rural areas. My hubby and I are are always mistaken for hispanics (I'm Native American and African American) here in Texas, so I'm not sure how we would be treated there. Our families are very diverse and my hubby's grandad is German so being around different races is no problem.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee1564 View Post
I am African American ,been here in Phoenix Az for seven years.
Was ready to move After one year here, my wife beg me to stay on.Now we are off to Atlanta Ga.
It;s horrible here for African Americans ( pop 5.3 Percent )The Mexican Are racist toward us and some white peoples are OK.
Please take it from me don't come. P.S. Diversity is only for Mexicans
Best to ignore him, he has posted the same thing in 2 different threads, its like he has a keyboard shortcut for it.

There isn't much problem with racism, at my school everybody seems to mix well, except for the Hispanics, the majority kind of keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area