Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,707 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting Phoenix in a couple weeks and I'm trying to come up with a list of places to eat (I'm a vegetarian) . So far I have Cooperstown (we're huge Alice Cooper fans), Kiss the cook in Glendale, and Four Peaks in Tempe. We are mostly planning on staying in the Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale area. What about pizza? I hear a lot about Grimaldi's and pizza Bianco, any opinions? I have read about Pita Jungle and Green for veggie food... which is better? What about sushi? I LOVE taquerias any recommendations? We are looking for casual, laid back dining, nothing fancy.

We are planning to go to the bead museum, the Heard museum, the zoo, Mill Ave, Old town Scottsdale, Desert Botanical Garden and the D-backs game. Is there anything else that we are missing? Has anyone been to the mystery castle? Is it worth it? We'll be back in December, so if we can't fit everything in this time we can do some more then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Well, you've just describe a huge geographic area. Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, and Glendale combined represent over 1,000 square miles.

In response to some of your questions:

I like Pita Jungle much more than Green. Pita Jungle is not exclusively vegetarian and focuses on cooking that celebrates legumes, grains, and vegetables on their own terms. Green, on the other hand, is a more severe purely vegan restaurant with lots of meat analogs. Some people like it, but that's not my cup of tea.

Other good vegetarian choices: Cafe Lalibela (Ethiopian -- Tempe), Udupi (south Indian -- Tempe), and the Dhaba (north Indian -- Tempe)

Other good pizza: Cibo (Downtown Phoenix), Classic Italian Pizza (Tempe)

Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Pizzeria Bianco is really good! Pita Jungle is popular with vegetarians, though I'm not too crazy about them, but that was before I became one.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Well, you've just describe a huge geographic area. Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, and Glendale combined represent over 1,000 square miles.

In response to some of your questions:

I like Pita Jungle much more than Green. Pita Jungle is not exclusively vegetarian and focuses on cooking that celebrates legumes, grains, and vegetables on their own terms. Green, on the other hand, is a more severe purely vegan restaurant with lots of meat analogs. Some people like it, but that's not my cup of tea.

Other good vegetarian choices: Cafe Lalibela (Ethiopian -- Tempe), Udupi (south Indian -- Tempe), and the Dhaba (north Indian -- Tempe)

Other good pizza: Cibo (Downtown Phoenix), Classic Italian Pizza (Tempe)
That is why I put in some of the stuff we plan on doing, I figured I would narrow it down a bit. I also don't want a bunch of places in Cave Creek Mesa, etc. suggested since we are not going there this trip.

Thanks for the info on Pita Jungle/ Green... fake meat totally freaks me out, Pita Jungle it is. I love Indian food, but my husband is terrified of it, so I'll have to try that on my own... I appreciate the suggestions.

I'll look at those pizza places too... That's our "junk food" fix.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Pizzeria Bianco is really good! Pita Jungle is popular with vegetarians, though I'm not too crazy about them, but that was before I became one.
What don't you like about Pita Jungle? I have read a lot of good reviews for Pizza Bianco and a friend whose parents live in Scottsdale has recommended it highly.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
I would do Cibo over Bianco. We recently ate at Bianco, after eating at Cibo over and over, and I've got to say that personally I think Cibo tastes better.

I don't know what it was about Bianco...I think the cheese, it was an older cheese vs the fresh mozzarella that the Cibo pizza uses.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I would do Cibo over Bianco. We recently ate at Bianco, after eating at Cibo over and over, and I've got to say that personally I think Cibo tastes better.

I don't know what it was about Bianco...I think the cheese, it was an older cheese vs the fresh mozzarella that the Cibo pizza uses.
Thank you HX_Guy. I prefer fresher cheese also, so we'll probably go with that. I have to say I love your posts with all the pictures in them. Great job!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
You should check the Southwest forum at Chowhound. This question comes up constantly, and you could just do a quick serach.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
pizza Bianco
Great choice...but be prepared to wait..up to four hours.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Make sure you go to a Ranch Market. There are a few in the Phx area. My fav is on 14th Street & Roosevelt (not very far from the airport). It is just a HUGE Mexican style grocery store....really good produce and everything else you find in a grocery. However, there is a massive food court there and the food is delicious, inexpensive and fun to choose from. They have really good fresh fruit drinks, great seafood cocktails, and about any kind of hispanic food you could think of. The tortas (mexican sandwiches) are good and you could probably get them to make you one with grilled hot peppers, avacado, cheese and no meat. English is definately a second language there, but don't worry you will find a way to communicate if you can't speak Spanish. The people are very nice. It really is a great place for a casual lunch...don't miss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area