Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 65,922 times

Advertisements

My husband and I need to move to Phoenix for just 8 months. He is in medical school so we can't afford a nice apartment. How can you find subsidized housing in Phoenix or Tempe? I don't really want to look any farther east. Even just a cheap apartment would be ok with me. It needs to be decent though, I don't want cockroaches or drug dealers living next door. We're moving from Iowa so it's all over the internet. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
You mean gov't subsidized? How much can you afford? You will probably find bugs and drug dealers in those apts as they are never that great and usually in bad areas.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hello -- You might try to find a house-sitting position, or possibly a position caring for a disabled person in their home at night in exchange for rent. I am not positive about this, but I believe that Section 8 housing programs in almost all Phoenix area municipalities have waiting lists, wait time can be as high as five+ years! If you or your spouse are already on Section 8 and need housing specifically designed for the disabled, the wait might be shorter, but there is still a wait. In fact, some cities will not accept applications of ANY kind, even transfers from another city. Typically, there are always some apartments available that are studio-size with utilities included. Housing is possibly/usually cheaper in a manufactured home community for the same square-footage. The Phoenix area has low wages and there are thousands of folks looking for reasonably priced housing. You may want to try the housing dept of the school he is attending. For example, if he will be a Medical Resident at one of the local hospitals, they may have an in-house housing department at the university. You will probably be able to afford a studio on your wages, if you will be the sole family supporter, providing you don't have a high debt-load. Good luck! Things will work out!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 65,922 times
I would like to keep our rent around $700. Since we will only live there 8 months I haven't really looked for a job. I can't transfer because I won't be there long enough. Is the area around the Phoenix VA hospital really bad (just north of downtown on Indian School)? I've seen a few decent priced places but I'm not sure about the neighborhood. I don't want my husband to be stuck in bad traffic, with long hours and hard studying, that's the last thing he'll need. I think Tempe sounds nice, not too far but so much more expensive and we don't want to live near ASU. We're past the party scene. I'm I crazy for wanting to find a two bedroom place around $700?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
That area isn't horrible, but do you really need a two bedroom? Do you have kids? That's way too cheap for an apt for what you are looking for (decent, no drugs or bugs). Personally, I wouldn't go below $850-$900 for a ONE bedroom.

My advice would be to spend that $700 on a one bedroom if it's just the two of you for 8 months.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
That area isn't horrible, but do you really need a two bedroom? Do you have kids? That's way too cheap for an apt for what you are looking for (decent, no drugs or bugs). Personally, I wouldn't go below $850-$900 for a ONE bedroom.

My advice would be to spend that $700 on a one bedroom if it's just the two of you for 8 months.
Good advice. If it's just a couple they should go for a nicer 1 br. Also, some people with condo's that have moved need to rent them...so I would look in local newspapers for this kind of situation.

I'm afraid a 2 br for $700...the apartments would be "iffy".

Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,828 times
If you can handle living in queen creek, they have three bedroom homes you can rent around 800. Homes for rent, condos, houses, townhouses, rental homes in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Goodyear, Gilbert and other metro cities.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,093 times
I need an apartment for rent for me, my daughter and son. I just had a decrease in income so I need something extremely cheap!! We have a pet to take with us as well. We need something as soon as possible perferably subsidized.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
To bradandbrit and 2cpinklotus, the subsidized housing is Section 8. Unfortunately as stated already the waiting list is more than 5 years. Here is a link to the info:

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Section 8

You might want to contact some rental agencies or any real estate agent that does rentals. They can help you try to find something in your budget. Just be aware that if your budget is very low you are going to have to make many compromises. Good luck to you all.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,009 times
Maricopa county is accepting applications for their public housing wait list. The wait can be anywhere from 1 year and up. Go to WWW.maricopahousing.gov and click on the public housing link on the left side. Or you can Google public housing in Maricopa county. They have five areas that you can apply at. As I said, there is a waiting list but that is the only subsidized housing available since section 8 waitlists are closed on all cities in Maricopa county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area