Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,028 times

Advertisements

I'd like some opinions on which city is better to live in. I'm looking for a city that is family friendly, affordable housing(under 200,000), excellent schools, not too far from stores/malls/restaurants, shortest commute time to Phoenix, not too big(under 100,000 people).

Any other city suggestions would be great too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,757 times
They are both nice. I was in Surprise just the other day and commented on how clean the city is. That being said, there are many nice areas throughout the valley, just depends on where you are going to work.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Goodyear's per capita income is a lot higher than that of Surprise for what it's worth. It's among the highest in the Phx metro area. I think it doesn't matter a lot just now, but I also think Goodyear is going to be the best city in the west valley over time. To give you an example of the difference, both Surprise and Goodyear are slated for new regional malls. Surprise mall announced WalMart as its big tenant while the Goodyear mall announced Macy's. Goodyear is also landing plums like Cancer Treatment Centers Hospital, the two Ohio baseball clubs for spring training, Amazon.com's distribution center, and one or two private colleges from back east that are building campuses in Goodyear. Goodyear is right on the freeway and Surprise is a long way from it making Goodyear a lot more convenient to things like the airport and downtown.

Surprise is further along the development path than Goodyear so there are more shops and more variety available there. Surprise is closer to L. Pleasant and the mountains of AZ and Las Vegas, I suppose. Surprise gets more and better monsoon storms that Goodyear and it's a couple degrees cooler in the daytime. It's safe, new and clean as is Goodyear.

You would be OK buying in either place if it works for you.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-20-2008 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
I live in Goodyear and work in Surprise and here is my two cents...Goodyear is more centrally located with easier access to downtown and the airport. I figured Goodyear would draw more people over time and be more desirable due to it's location on the freeway. Surprise seems to be more developed at this time and feels a little more "finished" than Goodyear.

Goodyear was a good fit for us but I would be happy in Surprise also.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 AM

116 posts, read 368,406 times

Been in Goodyear 13 years. I work all around the valley. Its grown for sure.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,135 times
I don't think there is a big difference. I have lived in Phoenix for 30 years and now live out in the desert north of Surprise. This area has not been at all happy with the Surprise city government as they plan expansion. They tend to ride roughshod over people. But we travel all around the northern and west part of the county and one area melts into another. It would depend on certain wants and needs that you have and what a particular city has for restrictions that might affect you. Peoria has been more responsive to answering questions than Surprise has. The Surprise City Council has had some problems but that mayor is gone and some of the council has changed.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,924 times
You won't find "excellent" schools in either IMO, and they are similar... Goodyear being a little further behind than Surprise. Surprise is safer, but Goodyear is closer to the city. Good and bad for both; I think it's just what is more important to you.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 AM

267 posts, read 898,056 times
Goodyear has much better freeway access if you're actually heading into Phoenix. Surprise is pretty much Bell Rd, Grand or the 303 back to the 10, and those can be some nightmare commutes. There are plenty of new houses in both areas, and plenty of foreclosures on almost new properties that people knew they could never afford, and bought anyways. I personally think that the schools system is better in Goodyear, but that could be debated I suppose. Surprise has more organized recreational activities done through the city than Goodyear, and better amenities. Both have spring training facilities now, which can be a lot of fun.

If I had to choose, I would pick Goodyear. I think in the long term, it's a more stable environment. Surprise is still kind of iffy, mostly because of their traffic issues - there just isn't enough room to expand the roads, to get all the people in and out of there, that try to commute everyday!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:13 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
You won't find "excellent" schools in either IMO, and they are similar... Goodyear being a little further behind than Surprise. Surprise is safer, but Goodyear is closer to the city. Good and bad for both; I think it's just what is more important to you.
Actually, much of Goodyear is in the Litchfield District which has many excelling schools. This was a concern for us and we did do some research. Before we switched our daughter to a private school, she attended Litchfield Elementary which is rated excelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area