Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM

141 posts, read 646,536 times

Advertisements

I stayed in Goodyear last night in a Super 8 motel near the freeway, I was so tired after an 11 hour drive that I just wanted to go to my room and left my suitcase in the car, of course when I came out this morning the window was broken and the suitcase was gone, luckily my suit was still in the car, kind of funny as that was probably worth more than everything in the suitcases combined. I realize that its my fault for leaving stuff like that in the car overnight but I am wondering if you have to be careful everywhere in the Phoenix area like if you go into a store for an hour is it a good idea to make sure nothing is in the car? (like even emptying out the glove compartment and opening it up) I guess I'm not used to this, anyways any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 PM

157 posts, read 453,257 times
Yes. Keep nothing in your car. If its visible, it will likely be stolen at some point. I have been broken into 4 times in about 3 years in various parts of the valley. I never experienced a break in in my life before moving here.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,825 times
Default Sorry that happen to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
I stayed in Goodyear last night in a Super 8 motel near the freeway, I was so tired after an 11 hour drive that I just wanted to go to my room and left my suitcase in the car, of course when I came out this morning the window was broken and the suitcase was gone, luckily my suit was still in the car, kind of funny as that was probably worth more than everything in the suitcases combined. I realize that its my fault for leaving stuff like that in the car overnight but I am wondering if you have to be careful everywhere in the Phoenix area like if you go into a store for an hour is it a good idea to make sure nothing is in the car? (like even emptying out the glove compartment and opening it up) I guess I'm not used to this, anyways any info is appreciated.
Car theft and burglary are a big problem here, I would imagine near a freeway in a motel parking lot would be more likely for such activity. Home invasion was a term new to me till I moved here, most home burglary that happen where I come from would occcur when a person was not home. It still amazes me that you can sit anything you don't want on your curb, and by dawn its gone. I wonder where do these people come from that take this stuff? Its a good tihng because you don't have to haul nothing off but still its a bit strange. Anway, Its always a good ideal to park your car in the most lite section of a motel lot and remove all your things in sight, or stash them in the truck and hopefully your car will be there come morniing.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
Default Break Ins

Are you a lot safer from home invasion and burglaries if you live in a gated community? Is it safer the farther you get away from Phoenix?

My car was broken into this last winter just outside of Milwaukee, Brookfield, WI. I had everything out of the trunk and car except my winter down coat that I stuffed far back in the trunk because the forecast was -25 below zero wind chill and we had 2 hours to drive. That was my walking coat. The cop said they were looking for GPS and computers, so definetely take those out. That is all they got. My family all chipped in and fixed my window for me. We were at a family reunion at a hotel and yes, I was not in a very visible location. I was an easy target.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM

108 posts, read 362,209 times
Default Not just Phoenix!

It is not just Phoenix where this stuff happens!

Here in Cleveland, I have had 2 break-ins in the last 5 years.

I have learned the hard way to leave nothing of value in my car!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Unfortunately, Rickca . . . a problem just about everywhere but still disgusting to hear.

As others have posted, probably no worse in Arizona than many other cities and towns around the country and you are absolutely correct . . . keep everything, valuable or otherwise, out of sight at all times.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,667 times
I got my window smashed in a parking garage in Newark, NJ about 10 yrs. ago. Scumbags left the radar detector alone and just took the registration. WTF? As it was Newark, NJ on a Sat. night, obviously, the cops were too busy to bother with me. Sure was cold driving home for 50 miles on the hwy. in January, missing a window.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM

I realize this happens a lot of other places, when I lived in San Diego it happened at my apartment, however in the town where I live (and am from originally) in northern California this has never been a problem, I leave stuff in my car all the time out in the open. I don't know why but for some reason I do get the feeling where this would happen a lot in Phoenix, I like the area from what I have seen so far but the place does have that kind of feel to it of criminals lurking around (speaking of the comment about things being taken from in front of a house and home invasions), well I guess I see why people here would carry guns.

Also speaking to the comment of "where do these people come from", I am pretty sure that it is drug users, probably people who are on meth that drive around all night looking for stuff to take, obviously a reasonable person would have something better to do with his or her time but the drugged out mental state makes for this sort of behavior, I know this sort of behavior all to well from experiences in the past with people close to me and the company they kept.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Yep, like others have said, leave nothing in your car. I have had a few car stereos stolen and my car stolen in N. Scottsdale - it happens EVERYWHERE!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about the whole car stereo thing, luckily the one I have in my car now is now removable (its a honda civic) so only a the lcd screen sticks out, you'd have to remove the entire dashboard to steal it, actually when I was in high school in my hometown my stereo was stolen.. I think these days its best to not have one at all.. just use an Ipod or something and plugin it in to the car, then take it with you when you're not in the car, the stereos are a magnet for thiefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area