Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

41 posts, read 196,717 times

Advertisements

I have been getting so much great advice here, i thought i would return the favor! I have lived in Mesa for years now and know a lot about it.

HARD FACTS:
Population: around 396,000
The average rating for schools in Mesa is a 7. But there are several 10 rated schools here. They are hard to get into if you don't live in the area.
The weather is HOT. Gets 90-100 in the summer. But it is a dry heat so you don't sweat much. Sometimes it feels like your skin is burning off tho, especially when you first get into your car that has been baking all day in the sun!

Mesa Community College is one of the largest community colleges in the nation. So many people from all over the world go to school there. They have a great program. I really loved going there.

People here are friendly enough once you can get them to slow down. Seems like most people are in a hurry to get done, whatever they are trying to get done. I have always attributed it to the intense heat.

There are LOTS of great malls here. And Mesa is only about 30 mins from Phoenix, and there you have the reputed Arizona Mills Mall. It's BIG. Lots of dance clubs and excitement to be had in Phx as well. Fun night life there. Not a very safe place to live in a lot of areas tho. But that is just based on what i have heard from friends and family. Never lived there myself.

Mesa is connected at the hip to Gilbert. Meaning you can start driving through Mesa and if you drive long enough you will soon be driving in Gilbert. It's really connected to many cities. But Gilbert is a very pretty, quaint looking city. From what i have seen of it. Mainly if you drive down Gilbert Rd. I like it. I would live there myself if it had 4 seasons.

Well, that's all i can think of for now. If you have any more questions, just ask! I will be happy to take pictures, and also to give anyone as in depth information as they would like. If i don't have the answers myself, i will find them out, since i currently still reside in Mesa.

I will also be willing to check out requests for info in surrounding cities but i prob won't be able to get as in depth info, since i am a stay-at-home mom of two toddlers. And i run my own business. My time is often limited.

But let me know if i can be of help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM

41 posts, read 191,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberyl View Post
I have been getting so much great advice here, i thought i would return the favor! I have lived in Mesa for years now and know a lot about it.

HARD FACTS:
Population: around 396,000
The average rating for schools in Mesa is a 7. But there are several 10 rated schools here. They are hard to get into if you don't live in the area.
The weather is HOT. Gets 90-100 in the summer. But it is a dry heat so you don't sweat much. Sometimes it feels like your skin is burning off tho, especially when you first get into your car that has been baking all day in the sun!

Mesa Community College is one of the largest community colleges in the nation. So many people from all over the world go to school there. They have a great program. I really loved going there.

People here are friendly enough once you can get them to slow down. Seems like most people are in a hurry to get done, whatever they are trying to get done. I have always attributed it to the intense heat.

There are LOTS of great malls here. And Mesa is only about 30 mins from Phoenix, and there you have the reputed Arizona Mills Mall. It's BIG. Lots of dance clubs and excitement to be had in Phx as well. Fun night life there. Not a very safe place to live in a lot of areas tho. But that is just based on what i have heard from friends and family. Never lived there myself.

Mesa is connected at the hip to Gilbert. Meaning you can start driving through Mesa and if you drive long enough you will soon be driving in Gilbert. It's really connected to many cities. But Gilbert is a very pretty, quaint looking city. From what i have seen of it. Mainly if you drive down Gilbert Rd. I like it. I would live there myself if it had 4 seasons.

Well, that's all i can think of for now. If you have any more questions, just ask! I will be happy to take pictures, and also to give anyone as in depth information as they would like. If i don't have the answers myself, i will find them out, since i currently still reside in Mesa.

I will also be willing to check out requests for info in surrounding cities but i prob won't be able to get as in depth info, since i am a stay-at-home mom of two toddlers. And i run my own business. My time is often limited.

But let me know if i can be of help!
Thank you so much for all the helpful info! My husband and I are getting excited to move to Mesa in just a couple short months now! Very helpful post! I appreciate it!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,113 times
I live in Mesa as well, and I like it (we are right on the verge of mesa and gilbert). There are some ghetto parts of mesa, but there is in every town It is a good place to live. We are renting right now, but are very soon looking to buy a house here in East Mesa

Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM

41 posts, read 191,305 times
Default question about apt

BTW, do of you "Mesa"nites, (haha) have any opinions (good or bad?) about Lucera Apartments on East Broadway and Lindsay in Mesa? Thanks.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 70,650 times
what areas of mesa are 'ghetto'/should we steer clear of?

thanks =)

Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM

I used to live semi-near there, on Main and Gilbert, Orange Grove Apts. I used to hear that it wasn't the best area of town. And i know the child care centers in that area aren't the best, or at least they weren't 5 years ago. I don't know much current affairs of that area.

Altho, i live on Val Vista and Southern, which actually still isn't very far from there, and i live in a very beautiful area. I really like it here. All except for the heat that is!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM

I would like to know where the "ghetto" is too!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:33 PM

35 posts, read 124,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg_emily View Post
BTW, do of you "Mesa"nites, (haha) have any opinions (good or bad?) about Lucera Apartments on East Broadway and Lindsay in Mesa? Thanks.
I know nothing of your situation, so please forgive my bluntness. I would never ever ever live near the corner of Lindsay & Broadway. Broadway has become increasingly hispanic. And, I mean illegal imigrant, coyote, drop houses hispanic. Many signs for businesses on Broadway are in Spanish. Now, don't get me wrong...I am not a racist. But given the nature of the immigration issues it REALLY is not a safe part of town. Either go farther out east, go north or south to Gilbert, but don't go there. Sorry again.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times
consider about Mesa too...it is landlocked, unable to grow it's tax base. City services have been cut to a minimum several times over that past years, even to the point of padlocking the parks because the funds for maintenance dried up. If this has changed in the last 2 years, correct me.
And I agree, the illegals have taken over large areas that were once affluent.
Of course(and this will tick some off), there is also the strong Mormon influence/prejuidice. Mesa isn't on my list of recommended locations in the valley.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 AM

35 posts, read 124,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
consider about Mesa too...it is landlocked, unable to grow it's tax base. City services have been cut to a minimum several times over that past years, even to the point of padlocking the parks because the funds for maintenance dried up. If this has changed in the last 2 years, correct me.
And I agree, the illegals have taken over large areas that were once affluent.
Of course(and this will tick some off), there is also the strong Mormon influence/prejuidice. Mesa isn't on my list of recommended locations in the valley.
There is a huge contingent of LDS here in Mesa. I am not mormon. My high school, however, was 95% mormon - back in the day . Now, the same high school is 90% hispanic and 40% English as a Second Language Learners. Just an indication of how the town has changed in 20 some odd years. Different parts of town hold different LDS populations. They are some of the best neighbors and would do just about anything for you. They aren't the worst people in the world to have as your neighbor. Word to the wise though there is a push for them to convert non mormons. So, if you have high school age children be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area