Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,980 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about how long it takes from the Power Ranch area of Gilbert to get downtown during rush hour times? My wife and I are considering a move to Gilbert from the East Coast and wanted to see how far out from downtown we could move without being too miserable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
google seems to think 55 minutes with traffic, i would guess that to be fairly accurate.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM

28 posts, read 88,695 times
Default Ouch

I live in Gilbert and I personally would not consider a job in downtown Phoenix unless I had no choice. The drive is about an hour each way and there are nice neighborhoods closer in that could save you that chore. There are some really nice areas of Tempe, central Phoenix or South Scottsdale that could make your life easier.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM

98 posts, read 286,516 times
I know it's an old thread.. but holy smokes.. I don't know how people cope with it. I'm used to an old 30 min trip one-way.

This new position/location with up to 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour 15 mins PM is killing me. But I guess a lot of people "deal with it"... especially in these harsh times.

I don't think I can do this for years on end. Hopefully, something changes in 2010... a move and/or job.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
I know it's an old thread.. but holy smokes.. I don't know how people cope with it. I'm used to an old 30 min trip one-way.

This new position/location with up to 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour 15 mins PM is killing me. But I guess a lot of people "deal with it"... especially in these harsh times.

I don't think I can do this for years on end. Hopefully, something changes in 2010... a move and/or job.

I used to hate long commutes, too, but satellite radio makes it more bearable when I have to do it, which is hardly at all anymore. Plenty of comedy/news/sports/music stations. Sometimes I drive extra slow to listen to the ending of a bit on Howard Stern.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:12 PM

98 posts, read 286,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I used to hate long commutes, too, but satellite radio makes it more bearable when I have to do it, which is hardly at all anymore. Plenty of comedy/news/sports/music stations. Sometimes I drive extra slow to listen to the ending of a bit on Howard Stern.
Yeah, I may have to subscribe to Sat Radio. I can understand how they have a "market" for their product now.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM

45 posts, read 118,153 times
Last summer I did the commute from Gilbert to downtown Phoenix and I hated it. It just makes the day feel soooo much longer to have a 50 minute commute in the morning and probably more in the evening. I know some people are fine with long commutes, but it's definitely not for me!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
Yeah, I may have to subscribe to Sat Radio. I can understand how they have a "market" for their product now.

Yep, and it's also great when you're traveling, as you never lose a signal. I can only listen to so much music on CD/Ipod, sometimes I want to hear talk on CNBC, ESPN or CNN, and it's nice to be able to do that in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area