Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM

153 posts, read 563,228 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about a new resort/water park being planned for the Phoenix area? It's supposed to have simulated waves for surfing, white water rafting, kayaking, etc. as well as some fun but tamer water play for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Does anyone know anything about a new resort/water park being planned for the Phoenix area? It's supposed to have simulated waves for surfing, white water rafting, kayaking, etc. as well as some fun but tamer water play for kids.
I've heard rumblings about this for the past couple years but no one I talk to seems to know anything concrete - it's always "I heard they're putting in a water park" but it stops there

I would LOOOOOOVE for it to be true. We desperately need something like that. I just don't get why developers haven't built an amusement park with a water park (like a Six Flags type of thing) here. Phoenix is already such a vacation destination and an amusement park would increase tourist dollars tremendously.

Anyway, I hope someone else has some info on this.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:23 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
It's far from certain, and even the location has not yet been decided, but there is an ambitious proposal being floated (forgive the pun) in the media. See waveyard.com for more information.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
Theres a very good reason we don't have a genuine SIX FLAGS. Phoenix, as a market, is bad for an amusement park. You'd have to do a reverse season, where the park is open in the winter, and closed in the summer. And well, people don't really travel like they do in the summer.

That, and, we're less than 10 hours from a six flags as it is.

I heard the park proposal up in Williams is still going strong, though.

As for a water park, I'd love it. But, I haven't heard much about it, other than, as stated, the usual "I heard they're putting in a water park."

Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 PM

226 posts, read 999,590 times
A amusement park in Phoenix would be crazy. It' way to HOT. We really only have about 6 months the park could be open. It doesn't cool down until around Halloween and it starts getting really warm in April.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
No kidding about heat! We hit 82 today- that's most peoples highs in the summer! It's February for goodness sakes!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
I disagree that it's too hot here for an amusement park. They've managed to make amusement park type places in Vegas, and they're just as hot there. They just build most of it indoors. An amusement park could easily be done here, with a majority of the park devoted to the water park portion, and do something similar to the Mall of America's amusement "park" and the Vegas set-up for rides, etc. It could be done and people would flock there. And it looks like, based on the waveyard website, they are going to do it.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Default Water Park is called Waveyard

Hello -- The proposed water park for the Phoenix area is called Waveyard. The developers do have a website but there is not much info out there yet. They have not announced the site yet: two cites, Mesa and Surprise, are duking it out with government incentives to try to get them to build in their town. Just do a Google search for news about Waveyard and you should find a couple of articles.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,242 times
The proposed site is at the southeast corner of Loop 101 and 202 in Mesa next to the Mesa Riverview. That piece of land is mostly vacant except for a golf course. The developers state that the water usage will be on par with an 18-hole golf course, but I haven't seen any specifics.

And, as for if an amusement park will work in Phoenix or not, I believe it could. Yes, the summers do get hot, but summers are hot in Dallas and San Antonio as well and Six Flags does quite well. Sure, the summer months may not get as many people here in Phoenix than say New Jersey, but the winter months will more than make up for that. However, I don't have the money to start my own so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,660 times
I'm confused from your posts as there are several water and amusement parks here.

Big Surf, Tempe
Waterworld, Glendale
Sunsplash, Mesa
Castles 'n' Coasters, Phoenix
Enchanted Island, Phoenix
Santa's Theme Park, Phoenix

Yes, we don't have a Six Flags, but we do have these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area