Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,525 times

Advertisements

It going up in Mesa,AZ. Around the 202 and 101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
What a waste of precious water. No wonder the natives are pissed....

Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM

235 posts, read 922,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What a waste of precious water. No wonder the natives are pissed....
I haven't heard about anyone being pissed, it's going up for a public vote in Mesa on November 6.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM

34 posts, read 130,154 times
I live in Mesa and I disagree strongly with this proposed park. What Mesa needs to do is use incentives to attract companies with high paying positions and open up an ASU campus. You generally get a lot of rentals and trailer parks around these parks and the traffic will be a nightmare. Just adding more mcjobs and the increasing number of check cashing joints. Mesa needs some decent Government and some tax revenue to invest. End of sermon.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
I haven't heard about anyone being pissed, it's going up for a public vote in Mesa on November 6.
Thats because 99.9992% of AZ are newbies and promote such wasteful propositions.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
Why would this have to go to a public vote? Six Flags isn't a government organization using taxpayer money to build an amusement park. It's a corporation which has every right to build where they choose. That's just great! Putting something like this to a public vote in Mesa will almost certainly guarantee its demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1969
I live in Mesa and I disagree strongly with this proposed park. What Mesa needs to do is use incentives to attract companies with high paying positions and open up an ASU campus. You generally get a lot of rentals and trailer parks around these parks and the traffic will be a nightmare. Just adding more mcjobs and the increasing number of check cashing joints. Mesa needs some decent Government and some tax revenue to invest. End of sermon.
I agree with your statements about Mesa needing to attract more corporations and higher paying jobs ... but I disagree with the opposition to the water park. I ask: what's wrong with Mesa being a fun place to visit as well as an attractive place to work? Both of those amenities help the economy as a whole ... not just one or the other.

It's apparent that the naysayer mentality is still alive and well. Here we are a metro area of four million residents, and the small townish NIMBY attitude continues! Many years ago, the NIMBYs were against freeways ... then they were wetting their diapers about transit and sports stadiums. Now they're opposing highrises and amusement parks. When will you anti everything types get the hell out of Dodge?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM

235 posts, read 922,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Why would this have to go to a public vote? Six Flags isn't a government organization using taxpayer money to build an amusement park. It's a corporation which has every right to build where they choose. That's just great! Putting something like this to a public vote in Mesa will almost certainly guarantee its demise.
It has to go to a public vote because the city of Mesa is offering $20 million in incentives to the developer. Per Mesa's charter that size of incentives has to be put to a vote.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
I'm confused from your posts as there are several water and amusement parks here.

Big Surf, Tempe
Waterworld, Glendale
Sunsplash, Mesa
Castles 'n' Coasters, Phoenix
Enchanted Island, Phoenix
Santa's Theme Park, Phoenix

Yes, we don't have a Six Flags, but we do have these.
I don't think they are talking about a slide park. We are talking about a Whitewater kayak, Whitewater rafting, scuba diving, and surf park.

[url=http://www.waveyard.com/faq.html]The Waveyard Project[/url]

Adventure park... not a kids park... though kids can go with their family.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,499 times
I just read the rest of the posts on this site. And I think many people think this park is going to be a slide park. It isn't!! Thank goodness! It is going to be an adventure park where adults and their families can learn sports in a safe fun environment. You can also hook up with people that have the same interest as you. For me it is whitewater kayaking. I am going to get a membership there if they are reasonable, so I can go down any time and practice. I imagine that surfers and scuba divers will also.

For one it is going to be a big will for all sports shops that are here in town. Scuba shops will get a big bump in revenue. The only kayak shop that we had in the Phoenix Metro went out of business because people were not buying there. Now I have to drive to California or Colorado to buy my kayaks. We have a lot of great rivers in AZ to have fun on... and it would be good for people to learn kayaking... so they can enjoy get out... instead of sitting in front of the TV being grumpy about a new water park going into the city!

For one, I hope it is on the light rail line!! [url=http://www.RailLife.com]RailLife.com - Your Life is on the Line[/url]

Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM

190 posts, read 571,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Theres a very good reason we don't have a genuine SIX FLAGS. Phoenix, as a market, is bad for an amusement park. You'd have to do a reverse season, where the park is open in the winter, and closed in the summer. And well, people don't really travel like they do in the summer.

That, and, we're less than 10 hours from a six flags as it is.

I heard the park proposal up in Williams is still going strong, though.

As for a water park, I'd love it. But, I haven't heard much about it, other than, as stated, the usual "I heard they're putting in a water park."
There are plenty of cities that are extremely hot in the summer that have amusement parks and rides including Las Vegas and Dallas. We have Castles and Coasters and it's busiest season is in the summer. The real reason Phoenix lacks a Six Flags is that it's metropolitan area is not as big as some of the major cities that have Six Flags and it's less economically developed. People need to realize that most of the growth in Phoenix took place in the last 15 years. The city didn't even have a major highway infrastructure until 10 years ago. Just because a lot of people move here each year, dont' think the city's ammenities and business growth coincide with the population boom in a 1:1 ratio. It's going to take time before this city becomes economically stable enough to rival those cities in the top 10. We are moving in that direction but we need to be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area