Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 AM

150 posts, read 457,692 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where a good place to walk downtown phoenix?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post

Thank you.
Nowhere Downtown Phoenix is pretty much a barren wasteland

Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post

Thank you.
I would ignore the post above and start at Heritage Square -- the area bounded by Monroe, 7th St, 5th St, and Washington. This is a remnant of the first days of white settlement in Phoenix with a few Victorian houses remaining. You might want to stop in at the Arizona Science Center or have pint at the Rose & Crown, a pub in the area. After that, I'd walk northwest and see the new convention center, the Herberger Theater, and the new Sheraton Hotel. Stop in at the Arizona Center. It's not exciting from a retail point of view, but it has nice shaded gardens. From there, walk north through the ASU Downtown Campus and toward the Evans-Churchill and Roosevelt areas. Here you will encounter a lot of vacant lots because this is still an area in transition, but you'll also find interesting galleries, stores, restaurants, and bars hidden in the area. Continue west on Roosevelt St. to the area immediately west of Central Ave. Here you'll see some nice new apartment and condo areas.

If you want to keep on going, head north on Central across Hance Park. Do this in the day, though. Hance Park isn't very nice itself, but it's the gateway to Midtown. You'll pass over Hance Park on Central very quickly and can then explore the Burton Barr Central Library, the Phoenix Art Museum, and the Heard Museum. At this point, you will have traveled over a mile north from Downtown into Midtown. Celebrate with a drink at My Florist or a cappuccino at Hob Nobs. If you no longer feel like walking, catch any southbound bus along Central Avenue to get back Downtown.

Last edited by exit2lef; 10-26-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 AM

150 posts, read 457,692 times
Thank you Silverbear!!! Downtown Chicago has certain areas too that one would one to veer away from when taking a stroll so thank you for the heads up. Also, thank you for the actual detailed "map" instructions on where to walk. I will let you know how it all went. Have a great morning.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,239 times
Copper Square (http://www.coppersquare.com/about/ambassadors/ - broken link) is also a nice area. There are "Ambassadors" around 7 days a week to help guide you in the direction that may interest you.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM

26 posts, read 78,306 times
We were in copper square, and the "Ambassadors" helped us find the Heard Museum. I would check it out if I were you. It's a native american museum, just outside of copper square/downtown PHX.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM

"Copper Square" is an artificial marketing name for Downtown and doesn't really describe a specific place. The name is being phased out over the next few years. Ironically, judging from some of the replies above, the name seems to have caught on with a few visitors.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 AM

214 posts, read 691,706 times
Interesting. I've never seen Phoenix downtown as an interesting area to walk around in. There are landmark areas that are interesting to see, certainly, but I don't see it as a walking around city, like I do Chicago, or NYC, or even Minneapolis.

I see Phoenix downtown as a dangerous place, even in the day. And I work downtown. A few weeks ago I went to a community garage sale just off 7th Street near Indian School. It was a lovely, well-kept neighborhood with tons of really friendly people and I had a good time talking. I continued to walk, no longer interested in the yard sales, just enjoying the day.

I walked a mile or more. The neighborhood was still clean, the sky was still blue. But I noticed a difference--a feeling, really, nothing more. I stopped, took stock of where I was--a knot of youth standing between 2 buildings, and all watching me. I know. I know, how this sounds. I continued at a bit faster pace but more aware now. A few more bands of youth. I'm not taking shots at youth either, so don't jump me for this. I just "knew" I didn't belong there. I never felt like this in Chicago, NY, either. I just feel afraid in downtown Phoenix. I feel like things can get out of control real fast, and with minimum effort.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
Interesting. I've never seen Phoenix downtown as an interesting area to walk around in. There are landmark areas that are interesting to see, certainly, but I don't see it as a walking around city, like I do Chicago, or NYC, or even Minneapolis.

I see Phoenix downtown as a dangerous place, even in the day. And I work downtown. A few weeks ago I went to a community garage sale just off 7th Street near Indian School. It was a lovely, well-kept neighborhood with tons of really friendly people and I had a good time talking. I continued to walk, no longer interested in the yard sales, just enjoying the day.

I walked a mile or more. The neighborhood was still clean, the sky was still blue. But I noticed a difference--a feeling, really, nothing more. I stopped, took stock of where I was--a knot of youth standing between 2 buildings, and all watching me. I know. I know, how this sounds. I continued at a bit faster pace but more aware now. A few more bands of youth. I'm not taking shots at youth either, so don't jump me for this. I just "knew" I didn't belong there. I never felt like this in Chicago, NY, either. I just feel afraid in downtown Phoenix. I feel like things can get out of control real fast, and with minimum effort.
7th St. and Indian School is way outside the boundaries of downtown Phoenix. Also, according to crime stats and FBI information, downtown Phoenix actually has the lowest crime rate in the city of Phoenix. It is not a dangerous place at all.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
7th St. and Indian School is way outside the boundaries of downtown Phoenix. Also, according to crime stats and FBI information, downtown Phoenix actually has the lowest crime rate in the city of Phoenix. It is not a dangerous place at all.
Completely agree. The city's official definition put the northern boundary of Downtown at McDowell; personally, I think Downtown actually ends at Hance Park and I-10. Either way, Indian School Road is well outside any reasonable definition of Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post

A neighborhood changes from good to not-so-good over the distance of a mile? Shocking! Surely this never happens anywhere else in the country. Phoenix must be irrevocably blighted. Time to build my fortress in north Scottsdale and never venture "Downtown" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: