Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM

55 posts, read 123,692 times

Advertisements

walking in tweaker territory?
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're at the SUNS stadium
or ballpark; everything around there is gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM

178 posts, read 481,217 times
Down town does have plenty of good area to walk. Silver bear highlighted many of them. It is not tweeker territory as Hot In The City liked to call it. It truly is low in crime. Yes you will find the occasional pan handler but aside from that it really is a nice place to go and take a walk. Look at some of the houses down there and you will find architectural history unique to Phoenix. They are called sleeping porches little alcoves protruding from the attic that folks would hang drying laundry in. The wet cloth would act as evaporative coolers before the age of the air conditioner. It has more to offer than just the Ball Park and Arena. Marjle's, Alice Cooperstown, Jacksons on Third and the Hard Rock Cafe all offer a fun enviorment to have a drink. Let yourself walk down town to judge it. A drive never shows you details, it never lets you take a moment to look upon the many fountains that line the buildings lower floors. A drive does not let you say hello to the banker who is leaving from work. Nor will that drive allow you to say hi to the musician hauling his drum set into alice cooperstown before his show. A walk is a great idea especialy for those of you who have the pre-concieved notion that Phoenixs' Downtown is not a place to hang out. You all say there is no action and that it is a ghost town, well then fix it go there walk, explore, make yourself just one more person filling a corner.

Anyway enough from The Bull.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
there are plenty of places I like downtown - but it is relatively dead and not a real walkable place

i often wander around killing time to get into matts - wouldn't say that it's dangerous by any means, just not happening unless there is an event going on

it definitely doesn't have the same city vibe that places like chicago, philly, nyc, SF, denver, seattle and mpls have

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotinthecity View Post
Jesus this type of thinking gives me a headache, I swear.

What's gross about it? What...that buildings are actually older then 5 years and not covered in stucco?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotinthecity View Post
Quite similar to Wash DC E of Rock Creek Park.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 PM

214 posts, read 692,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Completely agree. The city's official definition put the northern boundary of Downtown at McDowell; personally, I think Downtown actually ends at Hance Park and I-10. Either way, Indian School Road is well outside any reasonable definition of Downtown.

A neighborhood changes from good to not-so-good over the distance of a mile? Shocking! Surely this never happens anywhere else in the country. Phoenix must be irrevocably blighted. Time to build my fortress in north Scottsdale and never venture "Downtown" again.
Get a grip on yourself for pete's sake, you must be a little boy or something to act so stupid because someone tells a story. The morale of the little story that you obviously did not get is "Be aware of your surroundings", that's all, that's the story, nothing about blight, no need for a fortress, and certainly not a fortress in north Scottsdale.

Yes, yes, I should have used better syntax separating my comment about "downtown" vs. my little story about "7th and Indian School", my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: