Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 80,290 times

Advertisements

We are facing a transfer for my DH's work in Tempe. We lived in Scottsdale 7 years ago before moving to Colorado, but we'd like to live relatively close to his work since the traffic has increased so much in the time since we've moved. I've narrowed areas down to Ahwatukee, Chandler and possibly Gilbert. Can anyone suggest some desirable neighborhoods? We'd prefer to have a slightly larger lot with more mature landscaping, even if the house is not as big and needs updating. Schools are very important as is a gym for gymnastics since my daughter is a competitive gymnast. Can anyone suggest some specific neighborhoods? Our price range will probably be $500 - $650. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 03:44 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,853 times
I would find a realtor and ask them about gymnasiums. I found this website:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/search/index.php?state=AZ&city=&zip=&name=&program%5B%5D= &search=Search (broken link)

but I imagine it's not comprehensive. I do know there's a gymnasium in Chandler - I thought it was called Arizona Gymnastics, but it's not on that list. I wish I could remember the cross streets - I think it's around Gilbert Rd and Ocotillo - somewhere around that area. Anyway, I think a good real estate agent could tell you if there's a gymnasium close to an area you're interested in.

All 3 cities you mentioned would be nice to live. The commute from Gilbert would be a little rough, depending on where in Tempe your husband worked. I know many people who commute to ASU and to the area around Diablo Stadium, and they say the commute is tough from Gilbert. Tempe's a big area so it would really depend on where he's working. Ahwatukee will put you closer to the 10, assuming you don't live too far back in the foothills. If you go too far back, it'll take you 20 mins just to get to the 10. Also, Ahwatukee tends to be more expensive and the houses are older. The hills are very pretty though. Also, Ahwatukee is Kyrene school district, which gets very good reviews. Chandler and Gilbert schools do too though. Check greatschools.com for school info.

Chandler, for the most part, is very nice and you'll have a good selection in your price range. I would stick to southeast Chandler though - looking at a map, east of the 10 and south of the 202. There are a ton of developments - too many to name. But you really can't go wrong in that general area. Generally, lots won't be as big as in Gilbert though. You'll do well pretty much anywhere in Gilbert too, assuming the commute won't be too long. I'd try to stay away from Higley school districts. I haven't heard anything good about their schools. I'm not very familiar with Ahwatukee, so I can't give you any location suggestions there.

I can't think of any subdivisions with bigger lots, off the top of my head, in your price range. You can get big lots - half acre or acre, but they're much more expensive. I'd look for an agent's website online and just spend lots of time looking through the MLS. Also, something I've done when we thought we were moving is contact the agent directly, explain that you may be moving, tell them your criteria and have them email you a daily MLS listing. Most agents will do that for you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area