Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,578,160 times

Advertisements

Agree with taking offense. I have an MSCS with a good background in mathematics. And I call Phoenix my permanent residence. I am well respected by my clients (I'm an engineering consultant). I had the same client for the last 5 years and work all over the U.S. But I love Phoenix.

I have a friend who puts down Phoenix the way that guy did. He consults in Seattle. He says all the smart people live in Seattle and sent a web link. There are very intelligent people coast to coast. There are also many dumb people coast to coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisc23 View Post
Fact is most people move to AZ because of cheap houses (NOT the weather) and the fact the under or uneducated can easily get jobs which dominate most of the AZ economy.

Boy, THAT was rude...no matter what part of the country you live in. Yes, part of the reason we moved here was because it's more affordable than the $12,000 a year property taxes we were paying in NJ but we are certainly not "under" or "uneducated". We both have college degrees and one of us is an attorney. More affordability means having to work less which means more time as a family which means a better home life. We happen to enjoy the weather here so far (and yes, we are aware that it is the DESERT) compared to the depressing gray Jersey winters. To each his own on that front, but not everyone, or even "most people" who move here are uneducated or under-educated.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,193,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Agree with taking offense. I have an MSCS with a good background in mathematics. And I call Phoenix my permanent residence. I am well respected by my clients (I'm an engineering consultant). I had the same client for the last 5 years and work all over the U.S. But I love Phoenix.

I have a friend who puts down Phoenix the way that guy did. He consults in Seattle. He says all the smart people live in Seattle and sent a web link. There are very intelligent people coast to coast. There are also many dumb people coast to coast.

Boy, THAT was rude...no matter what part of the country you live in. Yes, part of the reason we moved here was because it's more affordable than the $12,000 a year property taxes we were paying in NJ but we are certainly not "under" or "uneducated". We both have college degrees and one of us is an attorney. More affordability means having to work less which means more time as a family which means a better home life. We happen to enjoy the weather here so far (and yes, we are aware that it is the DESERT) compared to the depressing gray Jersey winters. To each his own on that front, but not everyone, or even "most people" who move here are uneducated or under-educated.
I can think of a lot worse places for just myself than Phx........

Then again; after more than 2 gray overcast days..........I crave the sun again.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM

232 posts, read 737,646 times
Okay, I know I'm going to get lots of hate mail for this, but here is what I noticed (in relation to tolerance of AZ heat). For me, I am 6'2", 150#. Very little body hair. And I realized, I'm in the wrong place (Duluth, Minnesota)! I saw very few extremely obese people in AZ. In regards to heat, I assume those with leaner or less body mass fare better? Up in MN I am always cold but of course you learn to dress for it. A lot of people say I have perfect 'build' to tolerate Arizona weather.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can only imagine it must be downright miserable to be 300 pounds there in the summer...

Old 12-22-2008, 02:09 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,186,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Okay, I know I'm going to get lots of hate mail for this, but here is what I noticed (in relation to tolerance of AZ heat). For me, I am 6'2", 150#. Very little body hair. And I realized, I'm in the wrong place (Duluth, Minnesota)! I saw very few extremely obese people in AZ. In regards to heat, I assume those with leaner or less body mass fare better? Up in MN I am always cold but of course you learn to dress for it. A lot of people say I have perfect 'build' to tolerate Arizona weather.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can only imagine it must be downright miserable to be 300 pounds there in the summer...

Well, Mesa is on the list of top 5 overweight cities. There are lots of big people here. Maybe you spend a lot of time in Scottsdale? They seem to be more weight conscious than other areas.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,692,154 times
Quote:
I saw very few extremely obese people in AZ. In regards to heat, I assume those with leaner or less body mass fare better? Up in MN I am always cold but of course you learn to dress for it. A lot of people say I have perfect 'build' to tolerate Arizona weather.

There are alot of overweight, and obese people living in Arizona. I wonder, too, how they survive the heat. It must be hard.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM

399 posts, read 556,099 times
Arizona is just in par with the California mainstream culture of being athletic and zen. You find younger as well as older people being more consious about their health.
Though if you live in Scottsdale you will find more leaner people, then that off for example. Mesa. Which has more overweight people.

It depends what part of Phoenix. Higher class people, look after their health more. This is just an average. though

Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM

399 posts, read 556,099 times
Phoenix has nice Weather, not climate.

Its always sunny, with minimal different weather conditions. But the heat. I think that's part of climate correct?

The weather part, is the sun and little overcast days. etc? Correct?

Two overcast days in a row, is too depressive for me. ugh

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,583,834 times
Quote:

Hey you're from Duluth too eh? I feel the same way, I'm in the wrong place as well!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,974,000 times
I kinda wish I was in Phoenix right now. It's been cold here in N. Texas, more so than normal, and as I get older I'm really finding that I don't enjoy the cold that much anymore. I prefer moderate temperatures with Winter time highs in the 50s and 60s rather than waking up to 28 degree weather.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
I'd rather be cold. You can always put on more clothing but how much can you take off before getting arrested! Then sunburned!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area