Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 AM

39 posts, read 111,212 times

Advertisements

Hello,We are moving down from Minnesota next week as we have jobs at St. Joes Hospital and need some insight on a few places to live. We have actually narrowed it down to 2 places but 3 different houses. 2 of the houses are in Ahwatukee and one is on N. 10th drive close to I believe it is turf paradise race track. The house on N. 10th is much larger and has everything that we really want, just not real sure of the neighborhood. It seems fine would just like to get some info from locals. All three houses are the same rental price, and as far as commute time, my wife will be working 7p to 7a and I will be 3 to 11 so I believe we will not haveto worry too much about traffic. We really are leaning toward the N. 10th just because of space and size the pool/yard. We know Ahwatukee from what we have read on here just really can't find too much info on the other area. Any and all info would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,086,806 times
I live right next to Awatukee and shop there frequently. It's a charming area, hill side. Different than most of the other vibes you get out here. A lot of shopping and fun stuff to do. Decent schools, a lot of Charter schools as well. It's rather small but packed with stuff. Small mountains are pretty and the area is clean and well kept. You get less for the money as far as housing goes, but more for your money outside of your house.
I'm sorry I am not familiar with N. 10th, or anywhere around there. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
Do you know the rest of the address? I know of the Turf Paradise up at 19th Ave and Bell, but that's up north from where the hospital is.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 PM

214 posts, read 692,145 times
Where do you currently live neighborhood-wise. Are you city people who like to walk to the neighborhood coffee shop, or do you want to drive around. Make your determination by your life style.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 111,212 times
"Do you know the rest of the address? I know of the Turf Paradise up at 19th Ave and Bell, but that's up north from where the hospital is."

The house is right by that track, N. 10th Drive is just down from bell. It is not a far commute to the hospital, it shows 14.6 miles.

"Where do you currently live neighborhood-wise. Are you city people who like to walk to the neighborhood coffee shop, or do you want to drive around. Make your determination by your life style. "

We live a short drive to most places anywhere from 2 to 15 miles. We can walk around the neighborhood however not really easy to walk to get coffee or a quick bite to eat. Would like to be at least in the same situation or better than we are now for walking, biking, and going to shops and stores.

Thank you for your replies

Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
Well, Ahwatukee would be a MUCH nicer place to live than 10th ave and Bell. Totally different atmospheres!! However, the drive from Ahwatukee is not that nice. I think the freeway situation has improved since I've done it, but we have also grown a lot since then. There are other areas to look at that would be better drive wise and location wise. If I think of something in particular, I'll post it.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 AM

307 posts, read 954,669 times
Thumbs up Which place to go?

The practical place to go would be 10th Place, however, the Ahwatukee area is generally thought of as being a nicer area to live in. If you are just renting for now, then this would be a good way to familarize yourself with the area.

Commuting from 10th Place to St. Joe's:

Best way to go is to take 19th Ave to Olive, then turn left on Olive to Central Ave; turn right on Central Ave; proceed South to either Thomas or Virginia Ave (back way in to hospital). Turn right at either street to get to hospital...

or take I-17 freeway to Thomas Rd, then exit Thomas and turn left, then proceed right to St. Joe's!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area