Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM

36 posts, read 86,901 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five. Our oldest is 11 the other two are 1 and the last due in May. We live in one of the fastest dying towns in the country. It is small, nothing to do and no work unless you want to drive 70 miles each way.
We have done tons of research on different places and we are seriously considering Gilbert. We would rent before purchasing a home and are considering an apartment, any suggestionsk?
I am an uncertified phlebotomist and my husband works in transportation as a driver. Is it possible to make ends meet on those types of salariesk?
We have two small dogs that would be traveling with us. Are their certain neighborhoods that are not pet friendly.
Is Gilbert a good place to raise kidsk? We are just your typical middle class caucasion family. Nothing out of the ordinary to report. We are just looking for a more promising place to plant our roots and raise our kids. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated thanksa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
There are LOTS of threads about Gilbert already. It is a very family oriented community, and there's no area that's not pet friendly. As far as job opportunities, health care is one area that seems to be reasonably good-- new hospitals coming on line, etc. As far as working as a driver, I suppose that could depend on what type of driver. I'd check some of the job websites and see what you can see.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM

I am aware of that but none of them seem to have answers to my specific questions but perhaps I shall look again

Old 03-17-2011, 04:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The prior threads on Gilbert don't address your job/salary questions, (I don't know if they contain any apartment suggestions or not) but they will give you a lot of information about the family oriented nature of Gilbert and things like dog parks, and will give you "advice and insight" about living in Gilbert generally.

On the dog question, you should know that there is no part of any city in the Valley, except for specific apartments or rental homes that don't allow pets, that is not "dog friendly".

Good luck to you!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy View Post
We have two small dogs that would be traveling with us. Are their certain neighborhoods that are not pet friendly.
Not sure if you or your dogs are interested, but Gilbert is home to the Cosmo Dog Park, which has been named the best or among the best dog park in the U.S. America ; http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...king-asfg.html ; http://www.gilbertaz.gov/parks/popups/cosmo-park.cfm. People love their pets here as much as anywhere else in the country. No worries there!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Gilbert's clean, new, and quiet. It's a little far out from Phoenix. I'd be looking closer to PHX if I were you
considering work opportunities and gas/travel time.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM

28 posts, read 113,145 times
Interesting post. May I ask why you put a "k" before every "?" and also what is an uncertified phlebotomist qualified to do?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
A phlebotomist draws blood. Certification is legally required in two states of. I don't know if AZ is one. However most employers prefer to employ certified professionals.

I suggest the OP google the labs in the Phoenix area and contact them to see what the pay scale is, and if they will hire non-certified phlebotomists.

They may also be able to point you to someone who will hire you.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM

Norris, I apologize for the ks. We do not have high speed internet where we live so I use my cell phone and the ? Marks are on the k key and sometimes it puts the letter before the symbol.
Anyhow as PP stated I am qualified to draw blood, run a centrifuge, do some tests, etc. My current position, I just draw. Some places require certification and my employer does certify, however, I become jobless when I go on maternity leave. Thanks for the lab suggestion, that is a great idea.
Does anyone know how plentiful local haul cdl a jobs are and what their pay scale is?
Also, are there positions close to Gilbert or are we going to be having to commute? How long of a commute is it to Phoenix? I commute an hour each way but I thought moving to a larger metropolitan area would save me from that.
Any apartments anyone would suggest or not suggest?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Here's a start for apartment hunting in Gilbert Gilbert Apartments - Gilbert Apartments for Rent - Gilbert AZ

Sonora Quest is a large lab in Gilbert that we use. They may be able to answer some questions for you.

Diagnostic Tests | Cytogenetic Studies | Sonora Quest Laboratories

With normal traffic it's about 35 minutes from north central Gilbert (Baseline at Val Vista Drive) to downtown Phoenix. In commute traffic it takes longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area