Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 42,698 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Phoenix in May from Tulsa, OK and just recently put an offer on a home at the intersection of Germann and Higley on the southeast side of Gilbert. I did a trial run from the home to my place of work on Broadway Road in Tempe (near the University) and it only took me 25 minutes in each direction (50 minutes down and back). This was Friday morning from 6:45 AM to 7:45 AM. I was wondering if this was a fluke or if this is normal. I went from the 202 to the 101 and then exited on Broadway. It didn't seem that bad after all the horror stories I have heard. I only have to travel on a mile or two of 2-lane roads within Gilbert and they were not bad at all. Just wondering if I can expect about the same or if this just so happened to be a good day with no stops in the traffic flow.

Also, what kind of impression do Phoenix residents have of Gilbert residents. I know that similar areas in Tulsa would consider perimeter towns to be full of rednecks, but then again, Oklahoma itself tends to be full of rednecks. Just curious. I currently live in a more urban area of Tulsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 06:43 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Well, I don't know about that side of town, but up north on the I-17 I am able to drive on it only Friday mornings. That may give you a clue. Many people don't work on Fridays, so I find the traffic a little lighter.

People don't care where you live. We all live everywhere and most will live out far. Gilbert is a nice place, so don't worry.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splice40 View Post
I am relocating to Phoenix in May from Tulsa, OK and just recently put an offer on a home at the intersection of Germann and Higley on the southeast side of Gilbert. I did a trial run from the home to my place of work on Broadway Road in Tempe (near the University) and it only took me 25 minutes in each direction (50 minutes down and back). This was Friday morning from 6:45 AM to 7:45 AM. I was wondering if this was a fluke or if this is normal. I went from the 202 to the 101 and then exited on Broadway. It didn't seem that bad after all the horror stories I have heard. I only have to travel on a mile or two of 2-lane roads within Gilbert and they were not bad at all. Just wondering if I can expect about the same or if this just so happened to be a good day with no stops in the traffic flow.

Also, what kind of impression do Phoenix residents have of Gilbert residents. I know that similar areas in Tulsa would consider perimeter towns to be full of rednecks, but then again, Oklahoma itself tends to be full of rednecks. Just curious. I currently live in a more urban area of Tulsa.

In Az that's called Friday light. Friday tends to bit a lighter traffic day. 25 minutes from Higley and Germann and you taking those freeways is going to depend on what's happening on the freeways that morning. Make sure when you leave your house in the morning you tune into the traffic report. Az freeways are horrible!! Everyday the freeways have accidents.

The people in Phoenix will think you are a yuppie or you have money if you live in Gilbert. You have to be from Queen Creek or Apache Junction to be considered a red neck It's really not like that in Phoenix maybe years ago it was but not today.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Hello -- Did you do the test drive this past Friday, 3/16 or was it a previous week? I know this week traffic seemed to be lighter all over -- ASU spring break and also some school districts. The previous poster was right about Fridays typically having lighter traffic in the Phoenix area. A fair number of people have the day off, or perhaps work 4/10's and get done Thursday. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 42,698 times
Thanks for your input!

Yes, it was on the morning of 3/16. I did think about the possibility of Spring Break thinning it out, but it seemed like maybe Spring Training added some traffic. I did notice that the 143 near 60 was pretty jammed up during one point in the middle of the day. In either case, I guess it just depends on whether or not someone feels like having a wreck on the freeway and tying things up. From what I saw, it looked like 202 moved along better than the 60, but I only have a couple of days experience to base that on.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:41 PM

16 posts, read 75,890 times
Yes, I think that your test run is a bit on the optomistic side, but probably not by too much. My brother is on Dobson/Ray (RIGHT by the 101) and he can't believe how long it takes to get to I-10 and Broadway. Yes, 30 minutes doesn't sound bad, but if you actually look at how close he is to there, it's ridiculous. Surface streets are so bad too in that area.

I live in Gilbert and love it here. Married, with two kids, it fits us perfectly. Someone wrote that people assume you have money if you live in Gilbert, but it's not really like that. It's nicer than the west side of course, but very down to earth people - not the snobbiness like Scottsdale. Homes can range from conservative 200's to custom 600's, so it really varies. Definitely not a redneck area though - that definitely is more like Apache Junction just because of all the trailer parks, etc.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Gilbert is very Mormon I had always heard...probably why people consider it a family place. It's a typical suburb.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:09 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoco View Post
It's nicer than the west side of course, but very down to earth people - not the snobbiness like Scottsdale. Homes can range from conservative 200's to custom 600's, so it really varies. .
Oh, please. Not to put down Gilbert, it's a nice place, but the development I live is just as nice (and more expensive)as anything in Gilbert. So is Litchfield Park, Pebble Creek, Vistancia, Verrado and more - all west side locales. Gilbert is just a burb like every other burb around here. It was the hot ticket in the late 90's and now the major action has moved to the west valley where there will be the next "Gilbert", probably Buckeye. And on and on it goes.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Gilbert nicer than the west side? Ouch. Gilbert would be a pick of ours if we had to live on that side of the jungle, but we found the west side to be more interesting. We like the newer communities and what they were offering new home buyers. I don't really consider Scottsdale snobby either and I love to shop there and have found the people we bump in to very nice. Maybe it depends on where you are hanging in Scottsdale.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
Gilbert is fabulous. It's a great place to raise kids, everything is new, and people are very nice here. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's nicer then the west valley - there are beautiful parts of the west valley too and it's all a matter of taste. Personally I prefer the east valley, but that's just my opinion. I like that we have so many highways here - the 60, 202, 101 and 10. They're also widening the 60 which will help a lot. And this is kind of dumb, but I love that the highways in the east valley are decorated with all those cool murals. It just seems prettier here, overall, to me. JMO

Are you moving into the new Taylor Woodrow development on that corner? Or the one across from it? Either way, it's a great location. You're very close to the 202, to the SuperTarget shopping center, and the two new, high-end malls at Val Vista and the 202 and Greenfield and Williams Field (santanvillage.com is the Greenfield mall).

As for the "Gilbert is very Mormon" comment - it's not a relevant issue, IMO. There are many different religions and churches in Gilbert.

Gilbert's a great place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area