Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM

59 posts, read 241,441 times

Advertisements

I've been renting for the past three years in AZ. I've lived a year each in Gilbert, Mesa (ghetto), and Tempe, and by far my favorite was Gilbert (friendly people, safe, clean). So since the real estate market is going to be down for a while and I know wherever I buy I will be stuck for a while, I really am trying to make sure I'm not moving into an area that has a problem that I am unaware of. My wife works in Tempe by ASU, and I only travel once a week to work out at the airport. We wouldn't mind living in Tempe (south of th 60) but we want to stay under 300k. We both really like Gilbert but we don't want to be WAY out there, so were thinking of buying a house in the 85233 zip (north of elliot). Anybody have any comments on the area? Good, bad, ugly? I've never lived or known anyone who lives there so anybody's comments are much appreciated, also if anybody has any comments about any other area that we should be looking at, I appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Hootie, there is a really nice lake community called The Islands that runs between Elliot and Warner (and a little south) to the east of McQueen, all in 85233. I checked the MLS and there are quite a few homes in there in your price range.

The area to the north of Elliot and east of McQueen is also nice, and there is a ski lake up there also.

Val Vista Lakes is a little farther west starting at Val Vista Dr and Baseline, and it has a few homes in your range.

Bill

Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,233 times
I live in 85233 near Gilbert Rd and Ray Rd...great area.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie View Post
I've been renting for the past three years in AZ. I've lived a year each in Gilbert, Mesa (ghetto), and Tempe, and by far my favorite was Gilbert (friendly people, safe, clean). So since the real estate market is going to be down for a while and I know wherever I buy I will be stuck for a while, I really am trying to make sure I'm not moving into an area that has a problem that I am unaware of. My wife works in Tempe by ASU, and I only travel once a week to work out at the airport. We wouldn't mind living in Tempe (south of th 60) but we want to stay under 300k. We both really like Gilbert but we don't want to be WAY out there, so were thinking of buying a house in the 85233 zip (north of elliot). Anybody have any comments on the area? Good, bad, ugly? I've never lived or known anyone who lives there so anybody's comments are much appreciated, also if anybody has any comments about any other area that we should be looking at, I appreciate it. Thanks!

If you think you might be stuck for awhile don't buy just yet.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Hootie, there is a really nice lake community called The Islands that runs between Elliot and Warner (and a little south) to the east of McQueen, all in 85233. I checked the MLS and there are quite a few homes in there in your price range.

The area to the north of Elliot and east of McQueen is also nice, and there is a ski lake up there also.

Val Vista Lakes is a little farther west starting at Val Vista Dr and Baseline, and it has a few homes in your range.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I really like the Islands but I'm not comfortable in some of the areas around there. It's mostly pleasing to the eye but sketchy as you go father south. I would chose Val Vista Lakes over the Islands, although no area is crime proof these days.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 PM

89 posts, read 326,727 times
I live near Gilbert and Warner.. Great area right next to Gilbert Towne Center. Lots of nice restaurants, movie theaters, and shops. We've been able to kick Walmart out now for three years... I think they finally got a hint. Elliot/Cooper is nice also.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM

89 posts, read 326,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Hi Bill,
I really like the Islands but I'm not comfortable in some of the areas around there. It's mostly pleasing to the eye but sketchy as you go father south. I would chose Val Vista Lakes over the Islands, although no area is crime proof these days.
I agree...You know your neighborhood is going downhill when Goodwill moves in....lol

The worst lake community I've seen is south of Chandler Blvd, between Gilbert and McQueen. Not sure if there is an HOA in that subdivision...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
I live in 85234 right on the border of 85233. I love it here. Not too far out, like you said, and despite living on a horse property (lots of space, rural environment), there are a lot of entertainment businesses around. I also like it because it's not as pretentious as some areas of Gilbert, and a bit more homey.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I live in 85234 right on the border of 85233. I love it here. Not too far out, like you said, and despite living on a horse property (lots of space, rural environment), there are a lot of entertainment businesses around. I also like it because it's not as pretentious as some areas of Gilbert, and a bit more homey.
Funny I was trying to decide between a rental at the Islands today(85233) or Val Vista Lakes(85234). I guess we are sticking with Val Vista Lakes. If they go for what I offered in rent

Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
I agree...You know your neighborhood is going downhill when Goodwill moves in....lol
Oh please. I have a Goodwill right down the street, and I wouldn't call my area sketchy. Where would we all take our excesses if it weren't for Goodwill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area