Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 60,181 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted earlier about parking at the US Airways center..I appreciate everyones answers.

Now I'm kinda curious about reasonable golf in the city. I am coming to Scottsdale in February, and a friend is joining me for a week. We were wondering what reasonably priced courses there were close to Scottsdale, driving even 30 mins is ok with us, as we will have a car there.

I know Scottsdale can be very expensive for everything, golf included. We are both about 10 handicaps, and like a reasonable challenge, preferably under 70 dollars a round. If anyone can make suggestions it would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,631 times
Hey Mike,
My favorite is The 500 Club at 59th ave and Pinnacle Peak. For the price, it's a really nice track. Check out the web site "the500club.com". It's probably about 20 to 30 minutes away from north Scottsdale. Have fun!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 PM

69 posts, read 221,153 times
If you're a 10 handicapper, don't be lured by Silverado or Starfire. They have good prices and are right in the middle of Scottsdale, but they're going to be too easy for you. The courses are also quite lame.

I agree with dookieboy. The 500 Club is great and not too far from where you'll be. Also, The TPC Champions Course in Scottsdale, formerly known as the Desert Course, is nice (probably around $80), and so is Wildfire (probably around $90) by the Marriott at Desert Ridge in N Phoenix. These are both close to where you'll be. My favorite is Grayhawk but that one is gonna be over the top $$$-wise, whether you find a deal or not.

Most of the nicer courses are going to be over $80 at this time of year, but check bunkergolf.com and you can probably find some deals. They have almost all the Phoenix area courses with discounted tee times, etc. Some of the courses offer "resident rates" but if you beg a little you can probably get that rate, with the economy being in the tank and all.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM

15 posts, read 60,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZParents View Post
If you're a 10 handicapper, don't be lured by Silverado or Starfire. They have good prices and are right in the middle of Scottsdale, but they're going to be too easy for you. The courses are also quite lame.

I agree with dookieboy. The 500 Club is great and not too far from where you'll be. Also, The TPC Champions Course in Scottsdale, formerly known as the Desert Course, is nice (probably around $80), and so is Wildfire (probably around $90) by the Marriott at Desert Ridge in N Phoenix. These are both close to where you'll be. My favorite is Grayhawk but that one is gonna be over the top $$$-wise, whether you find a deal or not.

Most of the nicer courses are going to be over $80 at this time of year, but check bunkergolf.com and you can probably find some deals. They have almost all the Phoenix area courses with discounted tee times, etc. Some of the courses offer "resident rates" but if you beg a little you can probably get that rate, with the economy being in the tank and all.
Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it very much! 500 Club looks just like what were looking for! Although, I was under the impression that the TPC's were membership only?

Also, any tips for using "resident discounts"? My friends mother owns the condo we're using, but she's too ill to use it this year so we are. I suppose a local address is all thats required?

Looks like theres tons of great places to play!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
There are bunch of sites that are similar to priceline or hotels.com where they search the supply/demand of tee times on the days you might be looking. Pick out the names of a few courses you'd like to play and do a google search with "tee times" and the discounters with relationships will show up in the results.

I've never been asked for proof of residency at any public course in town. If you show up on time they are more than happy to take your cash. Private courses are more picky.

On a side note, one of the original public courses in PHX is set to reopen in 2 weeks - Papago. It abuts a red rock area so it's kind of desert, but is close to town so it's also somewhat urban. It was THE place for golf back in the day when golf in AZ was somewhat new and has just been refurbished. And at 7,400 yards, it's a monster.

See here

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Here are some sites you can peruse:

Golf Arizona

Golf Hub

Golf Now

Golf Link

Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area