Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

The only thing you need to be worried about here in Phoenix are the 'teradactyls', the 'jackalopes' and the 'humanoids'...otherwise don't lose any sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I just returned from two weeks in eastern OK. I can tell you that PHX has NO bugs compared to there. Man, oh man. I got more mosquito bites in a day than I have in decades living in AZ. They've got 3 inch long green beetles everywhere, bugs that look like leaves, ticks walking around, brown recluse spider "webs" everywhere, spiders like our wolf spiders but bigger and far more common. And then there is the noise in the trees from cicadas that would make you deaf. There is no outdoor living after dusk as you can't stay outside without bathing in DEET.

I don't know if it is like that where you live, but I'll take an occasional scorpion sighting over that kind of bug environment any time.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 19,396 times
I have a good friend and former co-worker who moved from Baltimore City to Phoenix. He and his wife absolutely love living there. I receive pictures all of the time of beautiful sunrises and romantic sunsets. The desert, from what he describes, is serene and heaven-like during the late evening hours...stars for days....oops I mean nights. Housing is very affordable and the schools, though theirs are in private school (personal choice), are exceptional. The job market we don't speak much about because they're attorneys and caucasian. There's a small percentage of minorities in Phoenix but for the most part they're not concentrated in any one area. The average income is 44k and the average household size is 5. I was seriously thinking about the move before considering Georgia instead. Just think about all of the things you'll be ridding yourself of and then consider if bugs and snakes are really a deterent. I doubt it!

By the way, he did say that ocassionally, near the house, his lab has alerted him and he has seen multiple snakes and large spiders. So, well wishes!

Last edited by sista soulja; 07-30-2007 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled words

Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Whoever bumped this thread up, thanks!

I admit, I took PHX off my relo list because of all the scorpion talk on the forum...nevermind that I grew up in PHX in the 60's, constantly climbed trees as a kid, was always outdoors - and didn't see any....nevermind that on my visit back in June I stayed in a new development in Scottsdale and didn't see any.....nevermind that I took the tour of Taleisin and other outdoor places and didn't see any.....

Nope. Just plain let common sense go out the window and freaked out from the scorpion posts here instead. Yep, took PHX off the list and replaced it with Denver (having never been to Denver, I'm still wondering why the heck I did that). I'm still checking out Denver in 2 weeks (possibly better mass transit), but happy I can now add PHX back to the list, because I really do fall back in love with it every time I visit.

Ok, back to reality. I suppose I should look for a more established apartment/condo location, with minimal to no landscaping and very little water? And keep it clean, clean, clean?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsakits View Post
Everyone on this forum talks about how if you build a new house you will have all kinds of problems, and that is what we would like to do....possibly in Queen Creek, but I just don't know if I could handle have all kinds of scorpions in my house and rattlers in my garage!!! That is the only thing that worries me about moving out there....stupid as it may be.

I don't think it is stupid to be afraid of certain things. If you really like Az you have to take the good with the bad. You will run into wild life, especially if you move into an area that was recently untamed desert.

I live north of Scottsdale in a pretty wild area. The Tonto National forest is my backyard...as it will be yours, I think. I've actually gotten fond of tarantulas and some of the other big spiders....I HATED THEM BEFORE I MOVED HERE! Google tarantula and I bet you will have a more open minded view of these creatures. They are manogomous (sp) and live to be about 50! I see the same couple year after year. No, they are not pets, but I do respect them.

Snakes are also interesting....after you know a bit about them. I won't kid you...they are frightening and you must be very careful. Still, they are not here to hurt you, only defend their life.

I liked the "get a cat" idea from a previous post. A cat will scare most creatures away.

On the plus side of living with wild things....I have a nest of eagles in my back yard! Can you believe that? I've been watching them since they were hatchlings...if that is a word. It has been a wonderful experience for me.

If you like Phx, I doubt the bugs will bug you! The heat may. I like it here!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
If your moving to Queen Creek, your going to have Scorps. I have lived in 3 homes here. I have called exterminators in the area and inquired about what they kill in the neighborhood I want to buy in. I wont live with em. I don't want to shake my clothes out and worry all night about creepy scorpions. That said, you can live here without them, if you choose. I do. It's not worth a 100 dollars less a month to worry about it to me. Certain areas have them. Not every area.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
[quote=yukon;1174678]nevermind that I grew up in PHX in the 60's, constantly climbed trees as a kid, was always outdoors - and didn't see any....nevermind that on my visit back in June I stayed in a new development in Scottsdale and didn't see any.....nevermind that I took the tour of Taleisin and other outdoor places and didn't see any.....[quote]

Were you out at night? Didnt think so. Did you carry a blacklight? How about flip rocks and garbage?

I get so tired of people saying "Ive never seen a scorpion" and yada, yada, yada. Scorpions are a FACT OF LIFE in the Sonoran Desert. Just because you havent seen one, doesnt prove a thing! My FIL said the same thing, but I still manage to turn up dozens on his property alone. Buy yourself a blacklight, set out at night in your yard/wash/etc. Walk slowly, most scorpions are very small (sometimes only 1" with metasoma extended), another reason why most people dont see them, not to mention the fact that theyre tan in the Sonoran Desert (xeric morphs). It takes time and patience to comb over your yard/home with a blacklight, but if you do, I guarantee youll find scorpions somewhere. If you dont see any, youre not looking hard enough. You could stand right next to one and not see it, thats how extremely well they blend into their environment, theyre VERY cryptic!

But please, just because you havent seen one doesnt mean a thing, a lot scorpions have seen you! They cover every inch of the state of AZ (minus the direct water of course), trillions upon trillions of them.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Welcome to Az!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
[quote=Steve-o;1179744][quote=yukon;1174678]nevermind that I grew up in PHX in the 60's, constantly climbed trees as a kid, was always outdoors - and didn't see any....nevermind that on my visit back in June I stayed in a new development in Scottsdale and didn't see any.....nevermind that I took the tour of Taleisin and other outdoor places and didn't see any.....
Quote:

Were you out at night? Didnt think so. Did you carry a blacklight? How about flip rocks and garbage?

I get so tired of people saying "Ive never seen a scorpion" and yada, yada, yada. Scorpions are a FACT OF LIFE in the Sonoran Desert. Just because you havent seen one, doesnt prove a thing! My FIL said the same thing, but I still manage to turn up dozens on his property alone. Buy yourself a blacklight, set out at night in your yard/wash/etc. Walk slowly, most scorpions are very small (sometimes only 1" with metasoma extended), another reason why most people dont see them, not to mention the fact that theyre tan in the Sonoran Desert (xeric morphs). It takes time and patience to comb over your yard/home with a blacklight, but if you do, I guarantee youll find scorpions somewhere. If you dont see any, youre not looking hard enough. You could stand right next to one and not see it, thats how extremely well they blend into their environment, theyre VERY cryptic!

But please, just because you havent seen one doesnt mean a thing, a lot scorpions have seen you! They cover every inch of the state of AZ (minus the direct water of course), trillions upon trillions of them.
To most of us who live here, the scorpion posts that come up so frequently are just silly. No one is denying their existence. It is by way of reassurance to potential new residents who are concerned for their safety that we reply that we have never "seen" one. Scorpions are a much smaller part of the Arizona experience than many of your posts imply that they are. I think it is entirely possible to live in Phoenix for decades and never see a scorpion. Whether they are around and can be located with a black light is not relevant to the lives of the average resident. Seeing is believing.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
I totally agree with Ponderosa. There are scorpions, more in some areas than others, but it is just not a big deal to most of us. Steve-O seems a bit obsessive. We get it Steve, there are plenty of scorpions in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area