Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times

Advertisements

If a live cop, even 10 live cops on motorcycles, were put where each speed camera is, they'd not write 1/4 of the tickets done by the cameras. Cops don't usually pull people over who are just going with the flow of traffic. However, the cameras will just keep on flashing if the set speed is met, even if everyone on the road is going that fast, which means it's totally safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
i would be thrilled if each camera was replaced with an officer that works only on commission he earns from writing tickets.

Speeding cameras do not enforce traffic laws. they just bring in money. Lets say right now i get drunk and take a spin down the 101 passed a traffic camera at 90 mph. i'll get a ticket in 2 weeks. but that will be too late because i may have already buried my vehicle into yours killing both of us. If there was an officer he could have stopped me and got me off the road, saving your life. what is truly better for our society?

i despise the traffic cameras. especially the day i seen someone run a red and get flashed, in front of an officer who did nothing since the automated system took care of it for him. Cameras are not making our roadways safer, officers would.
I could also make the argument that while that cop is spending 20 minutes writing someone a ticket for "nothing worse" than speeding, dozens of drunks are weaving by - drunks that he might have seen had he not been parked on the side of the road doing paperwork on a violation that can be processed by technology alone.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I could also make the argument that while that cop is spending 20 minutes writing you a ticket for "nothing worse" than speeding, dozens of drunks are weaving by - drunks that he might have seen had he not been parked on the side of the road doing paperwork.

so the cameras help this how?

the officer on the side of the road may have noticed, radioed for back up, or told the speeder he pulled over "this is your warning, get outta here" and proceed after the swerving drunk.

lets also remember many drunks get popped traveling way under the speed limit, so the cameras would never know they were there. if a live officer has his whole job revolve around that position he would have seen it.

there are many variables that a live officer is better than a camera. cameras do nothing to stop the real problem, or make the public safer.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I've got a question...

If each speed camera was replaced by a live police officer, would you be ok with that?
actually, yes i would. I would imagine something like this would detur drunk driving. In the city of Sacramento i use to live in, you better not speed like here in Phoenix or your busted, big time. Some car past me on my 2nd move to Arizona going 90 mph in a 65. Yah... guess who had 1 car pulling him over then 3 more zipping by me.

For me, i honestly don't care about the camera's.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
so the cameras help this how?

the officer on the side of the road may have noticed, radioed for back up, or told the speeder he pulled over "this is your warning, get outta here" and proceed after the swerving drunk.

lets also remember many drunks get popped traveling way under the speed limit, so the cameras would never know they were there. if a live officer has his whole job revolve around that position he would have seen it.

there are many variables that a live officer is better than a camera. cameras do nothing to stop the real problem, or make the public safer.
Too many hypotheticals here and that was my point. Cameras do slow the traffic. I travel the 101 on the west side very frequently and the slowing is noticeable, especially approaching I-10 from the north. Overall, the cams and the vans along the road have all but eliminated the a-holes going 90 and weaving from lane to lane to get by. I don't know if that translates to safety, I'll leave that to the traffic engineers (and the armchair experts of the forum who know even more because they read it on a blog), but it seems less hectic out there now at the crunch points.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd like to see the effort put into mobile camera vans instead of stationary cameras. I do think more enforcement of traffic laws (including speeding) is in the interest of public safety. I'd like to see real efforts in residential and school areas instead of the freeways.

As for using stop and ticket - having cops stop and encounter is dangerous to the cops and the people on the road, causes traffic jams, and takes way too much time away from the cops day.
Mobile speed cameras I am OK with provided they have signs indicating their presence.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,942 times
Default I never even give the speed cameras a thought

They don't bother me. and I am not sure why they would anyone else. I mean if you are a decent driver that uses the traffic laws, whats the problem? I guess if I were in court, traffic school, or had my license revolked on a regular basis I might be upset I got caught. Just drive as usual, no problem!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:33 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Here the speed tolerance is 3km/h over the limit before getting fined. And the stupid government claims it's to "save lives". What a load of crap. That is just blatant revenue raising.

I hate speed cameras, I hate the draconian rules relating to speed, and I hate the government's approach at tackling speeding drivers.

If the government and police would actually be after genuine offenders, then the public's views might change.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
They don't bother me. and I am not sure why they would anyone else. I mean if you are a decent driver that uses the traffic laws, whats the problem? I guess if I were in court, traffic school, or had my license revolked on a regular basis I might be upset I got caught. Just drive as usual, no problem!
Let me guess - you'd also consent to a police search of your car because you have nothing to hide. Right? Sheeple like you are what the gov't. wants. Just keep your mouth shut and let them protect you from yourself.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,296 times
I think I got snapped the other night doing 66 in a 65 (one of the mobile units). No ticket yet but its only been a few days. They definately do create a hazard driving at night. A car got snapped just after he passed me and the camera flashed right in my face. I lost my sight for a few seconds, which was long enough for me to start drifting into the next lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area