Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:52 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

I really don't get it...are you that unattentive when they drive that they have no idea what speed they are going and what speed they should be going?

I mean if its a 65MPH zone...why do people slow down to 55-60? You can go up to 75MPH without getting your picture taken, is it that people don't know that and are just trying to not go over 65 or what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I really don't get it...are you that unattentive when they drive that they have no idea what speed they are going and what speed they should be going?

I mean if its a 65MPH zone...why do people slow down to 55-60? You can go up to 75MPH without getting your picture taken, is it that people don't know that and are just trying to not go over 65 or what is it?
Do you really trust them? Actually, the braking is not as bad as I thought it would be at least on the west 101 where I get my windshield time. Seems the overall speed has slowed and most people who slow just let off the gas a slight amount. Every once in a while, though, there is some dimwit on the cell phone who has no idea of space, time, or speed who suddenly sees the camera and tromps the brake. Whatcha gonna do?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Same question about braking when there are flashing blue and red lights on the side of the road. I realized a few years ago that if you go the flow of the traffic you are not going to get tagged. However if the nutcase in front of me is braking, he or she is forcing me to brake too. I have to admit though...when I'm in the right-most lane (slow lane) and some hot shot is tailgating me, I like to mess with him and brake to teach him a lesson!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I'm finding the same problem on northbound 17. They are causing some back ups and making us all brake to 55 or less. It irritates me almost everyday.

I thought this problem would occur when they first decided to put cameras on the 101 up in Scottsdale, but I drove through there many times shortly after and it was never a problem, at least when I drove through there. So, I was ok with the idea, but the situation on the 17 is so ridiculous.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Has nothing to do with lack of attention, then paranoid. I brake all the time now after being flashed on purpose for going the speed limit.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
This is the one reason I think that the cameras are so dangerous, not the cameras themselves, but of people braking and causing wrecks.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
These are the same ar-tards who see a cop in a 45mph zone and all suddenly start going 35mph. Argh!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 AM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
This is the one reason I think that the cameras are so dangerous, not the cameras themselves, but of people braking and causing wrecks.

Most are braking because they were speeding. The Phoenix freeways are way too fast and dangerous, so anything to get people to go slower is good in my book. Because people in AZ don't drive safely they had to put the stupid cmaeras on the freeways and those stupid KGB-like side street cameras and portable speed alert signs up everywhere.

2000 Car Accident Statistics: Fatalities by State

look at those stats...AZ is one of the worst for fatalities due to car accidents. I think it's generally accepted that people in california drive like crazies....AZ has 1/3 of their fatalities and they have 6 times as many people in their state.

i've always attributed the heat/sun and sprawl (insane distances) to the speeding in AZ, so maybe no sign or camera will ever get people to slow down, but it's worth a shot.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Ain't it amazing how everybody else but we (ourselves) are the retards, nitwits, idiots, crazies, and jackasses?

Truth be told, I think we ALL have our stupid moments!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Most are braking because they were speeding. The Phoenix freeways are way too fast and dangerous, so anything to get people to go slower is good in my book. Because people in AZ don't drive safely they had to put the stupid cmaeras on the freeways and those stupid KGB-like side street cameras and portable speed alert signs up everywhere.

2000 Car Accident Statistics: Fatalities by State

look at those stats...AZ is one of the worst for fatalities due to car accidents. I think it's generally accepted that people in california drive like crazies....AZ has 1/3 of their fatalities and they have 6 times as many people in their state.

i've always attributed the heat/sun and sprawl (insane distances) to the speeding in AZ, so maybe no sign or camera will ever get people to slow down, but it's worth a shot.
Don't fool yourself these cameras have nothing to do with safety. It's an ATM for the State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area