Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM

256 posts, read 665,106 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I are looking to relocate to the Phoenix area from Minnesota. I was wondering what people think about Apache Junction and Queen Creek?

We are looking to rent a home, and Queen Creek comes up on the websites a lot. We are looking for a safe area around Phoenix, as I would rather not have to worry too much about drive-by shootings and all that...but we aren't going to be able to afford a really expensive area (Scottsdale comes to mind).

I will be working in the paralegal field, however, I am not all too concerned about a longer drive, as I am pretty used to it. So far a consensus on Phoenix seems to be to stay away from Buckeye and Avondale. Does anyone have any suggestions, and like I said, any info about Apache Junction or Queen Creek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 PM

382 posts, read 1,356,637 times
You have to keep in mind that Phoenix is a very large area (this includes all the 'burbs). We don't build up, we build out. Apache Junction is in the far east, at least a 30 minute drive to downtown (probably at midnight), much longer depending on what time and what route you take to get there. It wouldn't surprise me if it took you almost an hour or more. Queen Creek is in the Southeast area, and traveling times are about the same, though I believe somewhat quicker with the freeways (I haven't been out that way in a few years). Both are relatively safe, though "white trash" has always been a term associated with AJ. Not sure how "trashy" it is nowadays. Chandler isn't too bad, depending on where you go. You could probably even afford a place in Scottsdale with as bad as the housing market is. Surprise is a nice area too look into and even I wouldn't mind living out there. It's picking up quite a bit, and the house prices are much lower right now, making it a decent time to buy. It's also about a 30-45 minute drive to downtown, depending on time and route.

Buckeye, South Phoenix, and generally the Southwest areas are more crime ridden. Certain areas of Downtown Phoenix as well. Phoenix is weird in how you will have a good neighborhood right next to a bad one. Sunnyslope comes to mind for that definition. Some areas are nice, and some are decidedly bad.

I wouldn't recommend moving here as I've been trying to get out for years lol but people keep coming anyhow! Besides, right now, it is extremely difficult to get a job. Make sure you have one before you come out!!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM

191 posts, read 612,258 times
Queen Creek will be an extremely long commute to Phoenix. There are no highways that run through QC yet and so the route is backroads with lots of stop signs and road construction. The city of Maricopa may be a better commute to Phoenix. There are tons of properties available there as well. Crime is not really an issue there. You may want to consider lease purchase or lease with first right of refusal instead of straight renting. That may be a better use of your rental money. Apache Junction has many trailer parks and retiree villages. Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM

256 posts, read 665,106 times
Thanks for the info! I grew up in a town of 1200 and now currently live in an area of 200 people. I am used to driving at least half an hour if not more to get to a decent place to work, and we don't have Interstates anywhere near us, but Queen Creek seems like it would be a little out of our way. I checked out Maricopa, and that seems promising as does Chandler or Surprise. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
Do check out Surprise. You can start by searching for Surprise on these very forums.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 PM

35 posts, read 96,016 times
we are relocating as well check out goodyear ! good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area