Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM

330 posts, read 1,979,899 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Just curious but what area/town is known to have some of the best quality school districts? Safe schools and good education wise? Some have told us Mesa , Gilbert, others said no. some said chandler, while some told me chandler has so many gangs.

Now we did hear that Scottsdale has great schools, yet we cant afford a house there.

Also are the schools there year round? Are the schools overcrowded?

Here in vegas the schools are overcrowded a bit, and alot of the schools here need trailers to be used as classrooms for the kids.

We are originally from Long Island NY where we are used to the September through June schools.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 PM

647 posts, read 3,345,972 times
Check greatschools.net which compares scores for schools nationwide.

I know that many schools in Chandler and Gilbert get great ratings. Not sure about other areas of the valley. I think most, if not all, schools are year round. Yes, overcrowding is an issue here, as it is in most cities that continue to experience such rapid growth.

We know a family who just moved here from Vegas a few months ago - they're really happy so far.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,800,230 times
I'm not sure if there are any year-round schools left. Mesa schools are not. They run Aug-May. Gilbert and the Kyrene District do also according to their calendars. I thought Chandler was, but I just pulled up the CUSD website and it shows school starting in late July, ending in May. When I attended school in Scottsdale, it started the day after Labor Day and ended around May 31st. They have so many half days and what I call teacher stress days now, that the school year is up to a month longer.

There are gangs in Chandler, but you'll find them on some level in every community from a few hard core to a bunch of "wannabes". I'm not sure how much info they'll provide, but you might try calling the Dept of Public Safety's Gang Enforcement Bureau at 602-223-2329. If they don't help, try each city's PD. They've all got officers assigned to gang enforcement.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,289,424 times
FYI, my understanding is the Cave Creek Unified School District is transitioning right now to a year round school year. That was the plan when we moved out of the district in September; not sure if they are still moving forward.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Check greatschools.net which compares scores for schools nationwide.

I know that many schools in Chandler and Gilbert get great ratings. Not sure about other areas of the valley. I think most, if not all, schools are year round. Yes, overcrowding is an issue here, as it is in most cities that continue to experience such rapid growth.

We know a family who just moved here from Vegas a few months ago - they're really happy so far.

Good luck!
Sorry - I mistakenly wrote that schools ARE year round. I meant to say that they're NOT year round....they do have summers off. At least CUSD and Gilbert - not sure about the others. Sorry about that.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Violence in the schools?

But what schools are known to be some of the best? Not only by educational grading systems, but in violence? Gangs? Safety for the kids.

Where we moved from on Long Island, gangs issues were not a problem, maybe a fight here or there, but no guns, stabbing's, gang beatings, but here in Vegas I know many teachers that tell me the gangs are a serious issue here, mostly local gangs, and a lot that are due to Ilegals.

Thanks

How are the schools in Mesa?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 AM

I personally wouldn't send my kids to a Mesa school b/c of their tax situation, but that's just me. According to greatschools.net, there ARE good schools there, it's just not something I'd want to deal with. I can't speak to specific schools in the rest of the area, but Gilbert schools are excellent and I haven't heard of any gang problems at all. Chandler overall has good schools. Gang issues are primarily in the downtown, less wealthy area.

I'll again suggest that you check greatschools.net to find out which ones are known to be the best. You can *usually* assume that a school with good ratings across the board is in a good area and that gangs aren't a problem. Gangs in these schools are like gangs in most other big cities - they're not usually in the best rated schools in good neighborhoods. Ex: Fairfax County, VA has an excellent school system, but they have gangs in their schools - just not in the better rated schools in good neighborhoods.

My personal feeling is that when you buy in a good neighborhood, you'll be fine. JMO though. School is an incredibly important decision, and definitely one that should be thoroughly researched ahead of time.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Mesa tax situation?

I'm from out of state, please tell me what exactly are you referring to when you wrote " I personally wouldn't send my kids to a Mesa school b/c of their tax situation"

What tax situation?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I personally wouldn't send my kids to a Mesa school b/c of their tax situation, but that's just me. According to greatschools.net, there ARE good schools there, it's just not something I'd want to deal with. I can't speak to specific schools in the rest of the area, but Gilbert schools are excellent and I haven't heard of any gang problems at all. Chandler overall has good schools. Gang issues are primarily in the downtown, less wealthy area.

I'll again suggest that you check greatschools.net to find out which ones are known to be the best. You can *usually* assume that a school with good ratings across the board is in a good area and that gangs aren't a problem. Gangs in these schools are like gangs in most other big cities - they're not usually in the best rated schools in good neighborhoods. Ex: Fairfax County, VA has an excellent school system, but they have gangs in their schools - just not in the better rated schools in good neighborhoods.

My personal feeling is that when you buy in a good neighborhood, you'll be fine. JMO though. School is an incredibly important decision, and definitely one that should be thoroughly researched ahead of time.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 60,625 times
to amsm196--- i live in suffolk cnty ny. want to move from l.i. my husbands mom and brother live n phx. neither have children so they are not helpful of schools and crime. i am terrified to leave n.y. where i have grown up and even bought my parents house. you mentioned friends that left l.i. how are they coping and what are the biggest struggles? do they have kids?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
I'm from out of state, please tell me what exactly are you referring to when you wrote " I personally wouldn't send my kids to a Mesa school b/c of their tax situation"

What tax situation?

Thank you
Mesa residents do not pay property taxes, and they continuously vote it down when it comes up at election time - they voted it down yet again this past year. Drastic cuts have been, and continue to be, made to the city's services, including libraries, schools, museums, etc.

A large number of retirees live there and it's my personal belief - unresearched, so take it for what it's worth - that many of them don't want to subsidize services that they don't personally use. Also, it's hard to convince many people (retirees and non-retirees alike) who don't pay taxes to start paying them - they don't think long term and big picture, they just think of the impact it'll have on them personally, which is understandable, but an educated community should be a top priority anywhere. Without libraries, museums, good schools, etc., a community will stagnate and/or deteriorate. Again - just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. As I said, according to greatschools.net, there are schools in Mesa that get good ratings. For me, though, with such drastic budget cuts, things will certainly NOT get any better and will likely just get worse.

Perhaps someone on the board who lives in Mesa will chime in with better info. I don't live there and only know what I read and hear from a few friends who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area