Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:21 PM

29 posts, read 110,579 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about Estrella,Athem,Power,etc: are they just for kids or is it ok if you are over 40 and kids are gone. I'm just wondering how peaceful they are although I hear nothing but good things.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM

163 posts, read 824,146 times
Just be very careful. Look into what they mean by a Master Planned Community. We live in one. We were told that all commercial and offices, etc would be at one end or the other end of the community. Hmm, yes they lied, master planned communities sometimes have different zoning rules. If you are looking at one that is already completed, like 100%, then check it out, might be right for you. Not sure we would do this again , but some don't mind.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM

29 posts, read 110,579 times
I'm trying to find out what I can about Power Ranch everyone says its great for some reason I think it is a community with lots of small children. Now I love children but I have one in college and and one in 8th grade. Can I get some feed back on this area. We are also looking in Chandler at Valencia it seems to cost more to live there but it may be worth it not sure need help.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Power Ranch has a community directly across the street that is called Trilogy. It is developed by Shea Homes and it is strictly active adult (55+). Sometimes the two are used interchangeably, although I'm not sure why. Power Ranch definitely has a lot of families.

Anthem has a section (the country club section) that isn't strictly active adult, but all of the homes are single story and the empty nesters and retirees tend to live there v. other parts of Anthem. Anthem is pretty far out of town, so make sure you don't need to make a major commute anywhere if you decide to check it out!

Other areas you might want to look at it you're looking for less kiddos around would be the town of Carefree, and the community of Terravita in north Scottsdale. Terravita is a Del Webb community (it was completely built out several years ago) and tends to have the demographic you're talking about.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,444 times
I am also looking to relocate to a planned communuty. The problem is which one? Our household is three adults three dogs. We do not seek employment. We do NOT lay gold or tennis. We have no chilldren. We do not dislike children but prefer adult companionship. Churches are not of interest and neither are schools. We like privacy, space and a house big enough to avoid each other when we choose to do so. We are looking in the 300.000 to 500.00 range.

Suggestions polite please idea's etc would be appreciated.

Michelle2612

Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 PM

191 posts, read 611,669 times
There are many planned communities here in AZ. Trilogy in Gilbert is very nice for 55+ only. Power Ranch is reasonably priced and has a mix of ages. Many neighborhoods are smaller and gated with bargain prices right now. Many neighborhoods here have parks, walking trails, an elementary school, pools, playgrounds built within the community but are not "planned communities" per se. Fulton Ranch in Chandler is very nice, brand new, upscale and worth looking at. If you are moving here from out of state, you will be pleasantly surprised with the way the newer neighborhoods have been built in Chandler and Gilbert.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Master-Planned Communities have a unique and ongoing history in the U.S. housing market. The origins of the Master-Planned Community in the Valley can be traced to a Californian named Simon Eisner. In the mid 1960's the city fathers of Scottsdale foresaw the coming tremendous growth in the area and asked Eisner to assist the city planners in developing a "General Master Plan" for the city.
The first tangible outcome of the city's efforts was the Master-Planned Community of McCormick Ranch. The first in the Valley, it was truly a Master-Planned Community in that in addition to the housing plats, the city included office parks, recreational parks, and commercial centers. The original planners also even incorporated hotels/motels into the community's plans.
How do you know if you're in a Master-Planned Community or simply a typical subdivision? Generally, they are distinguished by the tremendous number of amenities and conveniences, and the over-all enormous land area the community encompasses in a Master-Planned Community. For example, because of their sheer size, Master-Planned Communities will incorporate extensive recreational amenities like lakes, golf courses, and expansive parks with bike paths, and jogging trails. Alternatively, the typical subdivision may have an occasional smaller park or recreation area, and the size of the local neighborhood will be much smaller than found in a Master-Planned Community.
Subdivisions will be surrounded with general shopping, strip and/or commercial centers, but these local amenities are not part of the over-all original plan for the subdivision. Builders will build and hope/assume that retail and commercial development will follow. In the Master-Planned Community all these amenities are planned and included in the initial stages by the city and developers before shovel one is turned over in the development. However, Master-Planned Communities and subdivisions do have one thing in common. Because of the sheer size of new home projects in the Valley today, most projects are simply too large for one builder or developer to handle. Usually a group of individual builders/developers will join together and develop 'localized' sections of the Master-Planned Community. One very important benefit of this 'multi-developers' concept is there is almost always a wide variety of building styles, house floor plans, lots sizes, landscaping styles, and, of course. pricing options throughout the community. In addition each 'section' that is developed by individual builders or a group of builders will have it's own unique Codes, Covenants and Restrictions (CC&R's) that maintain the quality and over-all standards of the community.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Father View Post
I'm trying to find out what I can about Power Ranch everyone says its great for some reason I think it is a community with lots of small children. Now I love children but I have one in college and and one in 8th grade. Can I get some feed back on this area. We are also looking in Chandler at Valencia it seems to cost more to live there but it may be worth it not sure need help.

Thanks
Power Ranch is a very nice community with lots of young families with young children. The elementary school is very good. My grandkids lived there and loved it until high school. They did not like the high school, which I believe was Higley High.

They've since moved and are in the Desert Ridge High School district which they love.

Power Ranch was hit with a large number of foreclosures because so many of the homes were built during the drastic increase in prices. So, home prices are lower in that area.

Chandler home prices are higher than Gilbert.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2612 View Post
I am also looking to relocate to a planned communuty. The problem is which one? Our household is three adults three dogs. We do not seek employment. We do NOT lay gold or tennis. We have no chilldren. We do not dislike children but prefer adult companionship. Churches are not of interest and neither are schools. We like privacy, space and a house big enough to avoid each other when we choose to do so. We are looking in the 300.000 to 500.00 range.

Suggestions polite please idea's etc would be appreciated.

Michelle2612
I live in Val Vista Lakes (valvistalakes.org) which is a multi-generation community. My small cul-de-sac block consists of 3 retired families, one older adult family with two elementary school age adopted children. Two other families with children, and two empty nesters with college age children. This is typical throughout the community. There are homes in your price range, and one under $500k on the waterfront, and there are activities for all ages.

Sun Lakes in Chandler (sunlakescountryclub.com) is a 45+ community. It is a large golf centered retirement community, but they have other activities also. Not everyone there plays golf. The homes in the retirement communities seem to be priced above other homes in the area outside the community, so one does pay a premium for the retirement communities.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
I visited a master planned community near Oro Valley, Rancho Vistoso I think, with my girlfriend when we were in our 30s. We didn't realize it was for retired folks. We felt uncomfortable there. Since I have no children, I'd be more comfortable in adult only communities of all ages, but not of seniors only. I'll be 50 this year and I'd not want to be with people my age only. I have few things in common with my generation since I have no children or grandchildren and I'm not a wage slave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area