Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times

Advertisements

Last night the house down the street from us went up in flames. The entire house is pretty much gone (including their two vehicles in the driveway).

Anyways, my question is what will happen to it? Right now they have boarded up the windows and fenced off the property. I know they will be investigating it for a while, but once that is done what is most commonly done to the house? There is no way the house is livable again.. so will they leave it fenced off for a long time? Will they bulldoze it and build another one?

I have never seen anything like this before and I am curious as to what will happen..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
There really is no set answer. It is possible that the individual will re-build, but that will take some time. They may decide that it is not worth the cost/effort based on cost, insurance coverage, etc. In a relative's neighborhood in North Phoenix (mid-1980s built area), I remember a house that burned down in the early 2000s and it was surrounded by a chain-link fence for over 2 years. Eventually, it was replaced.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
It might also depend on their homeowners insurance. If they had replacement insurance then they would get enough out of it to literally rebuild the house. Otherwise, they might only get money for the current (pre-fire) value of the house. At least, that's my understanding based on the choices we were given (we went with replacement cost). Of course, replacement today might be cheaper than the purchase price a few years ago.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
No matter what the insurance coverage is, if the house is over 50% destroyed it would be taken down to the foundation and made ready for rebuild.
Depending on insurance coverage and requirements will depend on when and how long it will be built.
If you're concerned about the ppty, then contact the owner or the city inspectors for information about what will happen and for how long. If it was arson then nothing may happen for years.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If it was arson then nothing may happen for years.

That is what I am worried about. Many of us neighbors smelled gasoline a few hours before (I just figured it was a neighbor working on a car) and I guess some witnesses are saying that someone was running away from the house and got in a vehicle and drove off right before the explosion.. they are investigation, but I guess I will never find out what happened.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
The home next to our daughter's caught on fire and almost gutted the home. It sat there for over a year before the insurance company settled with the owners.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
That is what I am worried about. Many of us neighbors smelled gasoline a few hours before (I just figured it was a neighbor working on a car) and I guess some witnesses are saying that someone was running away from the house and got in a vehicle and drove off right before the explosion.. they are investigation, but I guess I will never find out what happened.
You have to hope and assume that insurance companies are very suspicious of convenient fires and will do their utmost to investigate using every means available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area