Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a short trip to check out Spring Training again this year. I've been 4 times before over the past 12 years, so I have a good idea what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised to actually take in a couple of practice games for free before a "real" Spring Training game in Peoria last trip. We were able to just walk over to the practice fields and hang out. I actually enjoyed this more than the actual "real" game.

My question is, does anyone know the best time of day to look for the practices at the various facilities? I don't remember how early we were out there before game time.

Are there any other good Spring Training tips that a local might be able to provide?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

25 posts, read 106,291 times
We've always just gone and bought tickets last minute, but if you want to view the free practices I would suggest calling the sports complex directly. I don't have time to list all of them, but here are a few to get you started. I used google maps to get the direct phone number. Send me a DM if you need any other info, or cant find the number for a specific sports complex. Hope this is helpful.

Peoria Sports Complex‎
16101 N 83rd Ave
Peoria, AZ 85382
(623) 773-7110

Scottsdale Stadium‎
7408 E Osborn Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(480) 312-2586

Diablo Stadium‎
2200 W Alameda Dr
Tempe, AZ 85282
(480) 350-5205

Surprise Stadium‎
15850 N Bullard Ave
Surprise, AZ 85374
(602) 222-2222

Last edited by piratepilot; 01-22-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 142,124 times
You can watch the Giants practice at Hayden and Camelback Rd in Scottsdale. We used to watch them in the afternoon, especially in the days leading up to the first games.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,853 times
Generally, you are more likely to see the best players in Spring Training in games during the second half of the month-long season. Also, avoid split-squad days if expecting to see certain players.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,101 times
Bring a cute kid, they will give him baseballs. I use to watch the Cubs practice and me and my friends would sit by the out fields fence and get the home run balls or sometime the person playing outfield would throw the balls to us.

I haven't been in about 8 years or so, so not sure if it has changed.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
However, I was pleasantly surprised to actually take in a couple of practice games for free before a "real" Spring Training game in Peoria last trip. We were able to just walk over to the practice fields and hang out. I actually enjoyed this more than the actual "real" game.
Hi Mark, I always like to check out all of spring training rather than just the games. Just like you did, I just wander around the practice fields during the morning before the game. I like watching the drills they do and batting practice. You get a good feel for all the fundamentals involved in the game. They work for hours on stuff like pitchers covering first base, turning double plays, hitting the cut off man on throws from the outfield. I like being able to stand near a pitcher when he's throwing and see how fast the ball goes and how much it breaks when they throw a curve.
Most of the players and coaches are real nice and will talk with you for a long time. Hanging around the practice fields you can listen to them telling stories and talking about regular things like their families and what they did the night before. I also talk to the coaches and ask them when and where the practice games are. I used to go to Hi-Corbett field and watch the minor leaguers play games. There's always something going on at the practice fields in the morning.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Generally, you are more likely to see the best players in Spring Training in games during the second half of the month-long season. Also, avoid split-squad days if expecting to see certain players.
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I use to plan my trips late in the month of March so the younger guys would be cut by the time I got there, but now I'd really prefer to get a first look at the younger players. I'd much rather see a Trevor Cahill, Mike Moustakas, or Jarrod Parker over the more established guys.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM

96 posts, read 532,660 times
All of the teams have their minor league players in practice games all during Spring training. I have a friend whose son pitched for the Giants minor leagues and I caught him in mid morning to early afternoon games at both Peoria and Surprise. I would just walk up to their offices and see if they have a minor league schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area