Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 46,677 times

Advertisements

Coldcall, you sound like the Arcadia expert! Where are the nice parts of Arcadia? Maybe a better way to ask the question is, are there parts of the neighborhood roughly defined as Arcadia that we should avoid when home shopping?

After one trip to PHX to get the lay of the land, we are going to PHoenix this weekend to buy our future home and have narrowed the neighborhoods of choice down to Arcadia and Encanto. Any information anyone can provide on either one would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,792,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Rent in an area you are thinking about. If you like Gilbert or Chandler, then rent down there for a month or two. If you can deal with the horrendous commute and like the area, then look for a house.

That's what I would do.
Excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Coldcall, you sound like the Arcadia expert! Where are the nice parts of Arcadia? Maybe a better way to ask the question is, are there parts of the neighborhood roughly defined as Arcadia that we should avoid when home shopping?

After one trip to PHX to get the lay of the land, we are going to PHoenix this weekend to buy our future home and have narrowed the neighborhoods of choice down to Arcadia and Encanto. Any information anyone can provide on either one would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I could give you current information on the Arcadia area. I grew up in SE Scottsdale and the homes there and Arcadia were built in the 50's and 60's which is a very good thing. Cox built a good solid home. Hallmark also, just smaller and more basic. I can't remember the builders in the Arcadia area though.

Bottom line from me: I loved living in Gilbert and being within walking distance of Freestone Park. It's a very family friendly city.

The Arcadia area of Phoenix and the nearby sections of west Scottsdale have a charm that's hard to find anymore in the Phoenix area. I can't express how much I miss being able to walk out my door and see Camelback Mountain. I now live close to the Superstition Mountains, which are beautiful, but for me, don't hold a candle to Camelback. That area will always be "Home".

Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM

253 posts, read 376,924 times
Arcadia is roughly defined as being bordered by Camelback Mtn on the north, Indian School Road on the south, 40th St to the west and Scottsdale Rd to the east. You will find lots and lots of reasonably priced homes built in the 50s, which is what I lived in. It was a bit small but was very nicely remodeled to be very modern inside (granite kitchen and all that), and had a beautiful yard with a nice pool - a necessity in Phoenix!!!

Now you will find many of those homes being leveled and replaced with new builds, so if you're looking for a new home, you can find one there, and still be in the old charming neighborhoods of the area.

I lived 3 blocks from Postino Winebar, a fantastic and wildly popular place in the area, along with a couple of great restaurants neighboring it including Le Grande Orange. They're all at 40th St and Campbell.

I don't know anything about Encanto, but know you definitely cannot go wrong with Arcadia. I don't have kids but I understand the Arcadia schools are very desirable. I've moved out of Arizona but Arcadia is the one area I really loved and the only area I'd live should I ever move back. I have a friend who is a realtor who lives right in my old neighborhood there, PM me if you need her contact info.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 46,677 times
Default new home

We found a house to buy just south of Indian School and a few blocks west of 40th. Technically it's not Arcadia but the neighborhood is charming (trees everywhere) and we feel like we are getting a lot of house, pool, and grapefruit trees for our money.

Despite a lot of negative things I've read on this board about Phoenix and the fact that it will be a tremendous adjustment from the north side of Chicago, I'm very excited about our move and the Arizona adventure that awaits us.

Thanks to all of you who post!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 PM

178 posts, read 801,654 times
fromwa2az: the Biltmore area between 24th street and 20th street is very nice and safe for children playing (quiet small streets), the prices are generally under or well under 700,000 and you can walk or bike to shops, including Trader Joe's, movies and a small library. This is in the madison School district which is one of the best in Phx. From 20th street and camelback west to route 51, is also a very nice quiet neighborhood with somewhat less expensive houses. This would be a closer walk to the library, post office and other things I mentioned. Same school district and if your child is in middle school it is a very easy walk to the new Madison middle school on 16th street. Your husband may be able to walk or bike to work from either location, depending on where that is. Both of these neighborhoods have nice houses w/ quite a number of large trees.
At 24th and Camelback rd. is the just finished Biltmore Fashion Square (think that's the name) which would be in the neighborhood of either place I mentioned. Also, walking along the canal at the Biltmore Hotel (ducks and sometimes fish) is very relaxing . Lots of really big trees! hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:40 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
The houses in the Biltmore area are generally $500k and up, usually more than $700k on average. This info comes from my recent search of the mls.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 AM

178 posts, read 801,654 times
According to some realtors I know in Phx., the Camelback 'corridor" ( area from 24st and Camelback west to SR 51 and north to about Bethany Home rd.) is considered to be in the "Biltmore" area. I had thought it was just the home surrounding the Biltmore Hotel, but apparently, not. within this area there are houses in the $300,000-500,000 range.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
Default Arcadia

Where exactly is Arcadia? Is it a town or neighborhood? You make it sound very appealing. I will be moving to Metro Phx w/in the next week and will be trying to locate a rental in a relatively nice & 'safe' area.
Any help is well appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
Arcadia is a wonderful area and I miss it. I lived in the Phx area for 7 years before recently moving to Newport Beach, CA, and looking back, Arcadia is the one place I lived in Phx that I have very fond memories of. It's also the only place where the neighbors were friendly (for some reason AZ is anti-social). It's green, the streets are lined with orange and grapefruit trees, and it's very safe. The schools are known as some of the best which is part of why it's a more expensive area to live, but in your price range you'll definitely find some good deals, especially now that prices overall are falling in Phx.

Stay out of north Scottsdale - I absolutely HATED living there - the people are just horrible and totally status obsessed. Kids who grow up there become snobs who look down on everyone else ... and the irony is there's no real wealth in Scottsdale, just lots of credit. Arcadia on the other hand has some very wealthy people but it's a friendly place. You'll deal with snobs from Paradise Valley (a neighboring community) here and there but still nothing nearly as bad as Scottsdale.

I also lived in north-central Phoenix which was also wonderful but very expensive old-money (John McCain lives there, for example) and a bit too residential with no shopping or restaurants really close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area