Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times

Advertisements

Downtown of course. Tail-end of the construction boom...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
are these still being constructed or being left as an eye sore like the high rise in tempe?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
are these still being constructed or being left as an eye sore like the high rise in tempe?
The construction that is shown here is continuing.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times
What do you guys think will happen with the city-scape project? Obviously it's going forward but does anyone know if the residential condo's have been sold or are they still hoping to sell?
There have been several downtown condo deals that went to the $hitter with regard to not selling, such as century plaza, portland 38, Monroe.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
One side note is if I need to head to downtown Phx by myself: it will definitely be by Light Rail----------parking there is a PITA (plus I just blew the engine in my truck). I live at the Scottsdale/Tempe border so one bus will take me directly to a LR station near ASU.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
What do you guys think will happen with the city-scape project? Obviously it's going forward but does anyone know if the residential condo's have been sold or are they still hoping to sell?
There have been several downtown condo deals that went to the $hitter with regard to not selling, such as century plaza, portland 38, Monroe.
The condo/hotel tower has been scaled back significantly.

Originally it was going to be a new tallest at 515 ft. Then it was scaled back to 415 ft. and now it's at 298 ft. They have cut back on the number of condos they plan to build and even those are in limbo. The plan is to build the sales center (under construction now) and see how things go. If things go ok, then they would start on the tower late this year.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The condo/hotel tower has been scaled back significantly.

Originally it was going to be a new tallest at 515 ft. Then it was scaled back to 415 ft. and now it's at 298 ft. They have cut back on the number of condos they plan to build and even those are in limbo. The plan is to build the sales center (under construction now) and see how things go. If things go ok, then they would start on the tower late this year.
I said well over a year ago that this project would likely be scaled back ... and I based that opinion on what has happened with many other projects. It seems to be an ongoing Phoenix trend for these developments to be planned & approved, but something always happens to either significantly reduce them, or scrap them entirely. Well, CityScape isn't entirely down the drain ... but it has been downsized significantly.

I think part of the problem was the hype over condominiums. Even though I have been a huge supporter of building upward vs. outward, there were definitely too many condo towers on the books. There is a significant lack of downtown highrise hotels. That's why I was highly disappointed when the "W" Hotel proposal fell through. With downtown Phoenix becoming more active, and hosting significant national events (All Star Game, etc.), there should be more places for people to STAY while they're here!

Also, if we ever expect for downtown Phoenix to become a nationally/globally competitive financial hub (as it should be), there needs to be greater incentives to attract reputable corporations. Phoenix's business climate is actually very welcoming to private firms ... but there are other issues as to why there are few Fortune 500 companies with Phoenix HQs. This needs to change ... and our skyline needs to continue to blossom. The NIMBYs don't have to go downtown if they hate tall buildings so much. Better yet, they can leave for all I care!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
With downtown Phoenix becoming more active, and hosting significant national events (All Star Game, etc.), there should be more places for people to STAY while they're here!

Also, if we ever expect for downtown Phoenix to become a nationally/globally competitive financial hub (as it should be), there needs to be greater incentives to attract reputable corporations.
Disagree a bit on the hotels - there are tons of great places for people to stay all over the Phoenix metro area. Whether they stay downtown isn't as critical (though I agree that there needs to be more hotels near the convention center) as getting them downtown in the first place.

But totally agree on the Fortune 500 companies. It's strange, because I know there are certainly companies who would like to open major branches or even move their headquarters to warmer climates with better tax incentives and less cost than, say, a New York or a Chicago. But Phoenix doesn't push it enough. A few major companies in Phoenix building a few major skyscrapers with hundreds of young people who want to live near that work center and who tend to go to restaurants and shopping areas nearby - that would quickly redevelop the downtown like nothing else.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Disagree a bit on the hotels - there are tons of great places for people to stay all over the Phoenix metro area. Whether they stay downtown isn't as critical (though I agree that there needs to be more hotels near the convention center) as getting them downtown in the first place.
Yes, there are a lot of great hotels all over the Phoenix area...but what do you do if you do not want to rent a car while in town?

I agree that downtown needs a lot more hotel rooms so that people can stay downtown when they come to Phoenix on business or to conventions, which is usually held downtown. There are what...3 major hotels in downtown? Hyatt, Wyndham, and now the new Sheraton...that's it. The San Carlos is a boutique hotel and is not in the same class. Phoenix needs a Marriott, a Courtyard, and maybe a W at the least.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
So...what is the point of this thread exactly?

What kind of camera did you use? I assume a simple point in shoot due to the qualit... You may want to read the manual a bit, it may help you take better pictures. Your camera may even have designated features to help you in low light situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area