Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,614 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and I suppose Bin Laden is also trying to stop terrorism. It is a well documented fact that Mexico is in danger of complete collapse, not unlike what took place in Columbia, a number of years ago. Judges, police officials, and others, are being targeted by the drug cartels. In order to learn more all you need do is Google; Drug Cartels of Mexico.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM

116 posts, read 368,430 times
IMO,

The first thing that comes to mind, is trailer trash leaving their children in their car seats with the truck running, while running into the liquor store for smokes.

The second thing that comes to mind is "Illegal smuggling thugs aka Coyotes" holding illegals
to suck the ransome money out of their families.

I have lived here in the Phoenix area about 15 years, and personally have never known anyone to be kidnapped.

I would say only the Police dept officers may know of this.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
THe other thread was locked as it was a duplicate of the same topic....and I found this one..the original.

As a person interested in Arizona (in a positive way), I'm a bit curious to hear some discussion on it though, hence bumping on the thread, if there is more to say about it.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
THe other thread was locked as it was a duplicate of the same topic....and I found this one..the original.

As a person interested in Arizona (in a positive way), I'm a bit curious to hear some discussion on it though, hence bumping on the thread, if there is more to say about it.
Why you didnt get an idea from reading the other thread or this thread. Oh thats right you are looking to controversy.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
To say there is no need to fear being kidnapped unless you are involved with drugs is ridiculous. The actual number of kidnappings is some three times higher because people are not reporting all the kidnappings.

In time, if this is not stopped, ANYONE who looks like they have money will be kidnapped just like in South America.

We already have a robber working the Tempe and Mesa area holding up people as they leave banks and they can't catch him. In parking lots the thieves cruise the parking lanes in their car looking for a woman carrying a shoulder bag and grab the bag, sometimes dragging the poor woman.

Paper is put on the rear windows of parked cars, when the owner sees it and gets out to remove it, thieves jump in the car and drive off. My neighborhood has 'home invasions' once a week. Panhandlers come out of nowhere using every trick they can think of to get money out of you and stores lose business because people avoid these shopping areas.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
roosevelt-

Much of the crime you discuss is NOT kidnapping. No one is saying there is no crime here, just suggesting that all this national publicity about kidnapping in Phoenix is overblown.

Yes, it's prudent to be careful in parking lots, keep your doors locked, and not open them to strangers. That's been true not just here, but in every city of any size, for a very long time.

I don't put panhandlers in the same category as the rest of what you describe, although there is one business (a gas station) that I stay away from just so as not to be bothered by the panhandling I have encountered there many times.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
To say there is no need to fear being kidnapped unless you are involved with drugs is ridiculous. The actual number of kidnappings is some three times higher because people are not reporting all the kidnappings.

In time, if this is not stopped, ANYONE who looks like they have money will be kidnapped just like in South America.

We already have a robber working the Tempe and Mesa area holding up people as they leave banks and they can't catch him. In parking lots the thieves cruise the parking lanes in their car looking for a woman carrying a shoulder bag and grab the bag, sometimes dragging the poor woman.

Paper is put on the rear windows of parked cars, when the owner sees it and gets out to remove it, thieves jump in the car and drive off. My neighborhood has 'home invasions' once a week. Panhandlers come out of nowhere using every trick they can think of to get money out of you and stores lose business because people avoid these shopping areas.
Excellent post.

What I find most disturbing of this thread and the other is so many Phoenix residents write this off as no big deal...these things need to be dealt with.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
OF COURSE the crimes related to Mexican drug dealers moving north needs to be "dealt with" by law enforcement. Immigration related "kidnapping" is of course a problem that needs law enforcement, particularly at the federal level, to step in.

But there is a false impression being created by national media and bought into by people elsewhere that everyone in Phoenix is at a significant risk of being kidnapped. And THAT I don't believe is true, for reasons already discussed.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
And what evidence do you have to support that it's 3 times higher than what is being reported. And let's assume what you are saying is true, please provide evidence showing that a significant number of non-illegals are being kidnapped in the Phoenix area.

Yes, we are aware of that burglar. This is the 5th largest city in the United States, we are going to have thieves and murders. I'm sorry but I'm not to worry because one burglar is being covered on television.

Your neighborhood has home invasions once a week. That is unfortunate but my neighborhood didn't have one home invasion in the past year. Again, you can't assume your personal experience applies to the entire valley.

There are now three threads regarding this subject. This one was unnecessary and it's pretty obvious, some people are refreshing or starting this topic just to start controversy or get a reaction out of people. I really wish a moderator would merge all of these threads into one thread which is what typically happens on other city forums. There is nothing productive by having someone start a kidnapping thread each week.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are now three threads regarding this subject. This one was unnecessary and it's pretty obvious, some people are refreshing or starting this topic just to start controversy or get a reaction out of people. I really wish a moderator would merge all of these threads into one thread which is what typically happens on other city forums. There is nothing productive by having someone start a kidnapping thread each week.
The mods have locked the other one. This is the ONLY one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area