Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,258 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Phoenix area. What areas would you suggest for good schooling? I have two that are in elementary school. We are thinking of Laveen? Probably will end up working in Phoenix.....Is the commute long? Also my husband is a meat cutter and we are wondering what the wages are down there for union meat cutters? If any of you could give us some insight that would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 AM

97 posts, read 414,754 times
Laveen is a decent district that is making a lot of upward strides. Vista Del Sur Traditional School is probably the best school, but requires a lot of parental involvement. Trail Side Point is another that is good too. Laveen is not very far from downtown and is the most centrally located suburb as opposed to Surprise and Queen Creek. Phoenix is also very large and spread out, so it really depends on where you get a job at. I currently live in Laveen, but commute to North Phoenix so it is about 24 miles one way for me.

I'm not sure what the wages are for meat cutters here.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,456 times
check out Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for whats it's worth!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 11,258 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your help....I really appreciate it! If anyone else out there has any good advice on schools/hospitals for employment/crime areas that would be great! Also in Laveen do you have many grocery stores, and other retail or do you need to go into Phoenix for that? Do you have Costco? Thanks again soon to be fellow AZ neighbors...

Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 AM

97 posts, read 414,754 times
Laveen is a bit rural, yet close to Phoenix. It is probably the closest area anywhere where you find farming being a major industry so near to a downtown area out of all of the major cities. Laveen doesn't have a costco, but there is one off of 99th Ave and McDowell which would be about 8 easy miles. There is a Fry's and Safeway located in Laveen and a few other grocery stores within a 5 mile radius. The three nearest hospitals would be Good Samaritan (7th St and McDowell), Maryvale (51st Ave and Indian School), and Banner Estrella (91st Ave and Thomas). There is plans for a 600 bed hospital at full build out, but that is at least 2 years away at 63rd and Dobbins, Laveen Community College will be an off shoot of South Mountain Comm College and will be built off of 59th Ave and Vineyard (Between Baseline and Southern), but that is still a few years away due to the economy.

I have also heard about them building a spring training facility come 2011 or 2012. If I were you I would rent first before you buy, just because you need to find a job here first and you will have a better idea what areas you like best.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
best schools are in Gilbert. Meat cutters don't make much here 16 tops, but most Grocery stores make you start at 8 bucks an hour here in Arizona, even if you have years of experience. My wife worked at a checker for 13 years making 16 an hour in Washington State, but here, same store/company says she mush start completely over. Unions are very very weak here in AZ. Most schools in Gilbert are rated 8-10 (out of 10), based on test scores from the rest of the state from Great Schools.net. Of course the rest of the schools in the state are just aweful, so Im not really sure how to gage it Not trying to be Negitive, BRW, just sharing the experience we have learned about the past 13 months We are headed back to Wa State. Just ahead of the coming 90-116 degree weather about to befall us for 5 months. Good luck to you. We well miss the sunshine very much.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 AM

345 posts, read 466,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Unions are very very weak here in AZ.
To say the least. Right to work state. Just the way John McCain likes it. Note how the post presidential election McCain 'the great American' has taken on a bitter tone and done everything in his power to subvert the Obama administration initiatives. Now that's pulling together for a better country (not).

Arizonians like to think themselves emblematic of the rugged, self-supportive, independent-minded American. Nothing could be further from the truth in my experience. Arizonians are mistaking themselves for Americans like those in New Hampshire. Arizona is, by and large a state of the 'same old same old' right-leaning cry babies who think everyone around them is getting something they are not. In parts of Tucson/Flagstaff/Sedona/Phoenix all the above applies, except substitute 'right-leaning' with 'left-leaning.'

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 02-15-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 07:40 PM

9 posts, read 20,616 times
Surprise...GO TO SURPRISE zip code 85374. Better schools, crime, violence than Phx. Trust me, my neice is a genious at a middle school in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area