Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in the beginning stages of looking for information about moving to Arizona. I am thinking about the maricopa county area only becuase I have family that lives in Goodyear.

A little about me and my family. I am a 30 yo single black woman with 2 boys ages 5 and 8. I am currently a student and I work fulltime in a hospital as a telephone operator.

I am looking to move to Arizona becuase I am just tired of this extreme cold weather and since I have family in Arizona, I thought it would be a good idea. Of course I am a little apprehensive due to the employment and financial forecast, but I am hoping that I could get some information from people that currently live and work in the area.

I have already begun online job searching and filling out job posting that are open. One of my main concerns is finding a job with decent pay...I currently do not have any formal training in anything particular and my current and last job has been as a telephone operator and that takes up almost 10 years of employment history. As I said I am currently going to school and I should have my Associates in Healthcare Administration in 8/09 and I am hoping that will give me some help when it come to employability. My passion is in the Healthcare industry but I will do anything to provide for my children and if I have to change career paths to do so...so be it.

I most likely will be renting until I find a stable job but I do have hopes to buy a home within the next couple of years. Any information about schools, housing, and companies hiring would be totally appreciated.

Thanks

Tyshea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
I certainly hate to discourage anyone who wants to move here because Phoenix is home for me and many people who love this area. However, I must be frank regarding your situation. I don't think moving here would benefit you. Many qualified individuals are having a difficult time finding jobs here. It's nice to see that you are pursuing an education but an associates degree in healthcare administration will probably not help you get a job in the health care industry in the Phoenix area. I would encourage you to consider pursuing nursing or perhaps even an associates degree as a respiratory therapist, surgical assistant or surgical scrub tech. Those jobs are in demand and pay quite well for the number of years of schooling. I don't know how much tuition those trade schools charge to train you in those fields. I think if you were to land a job in healthcare administration, you would require a bachelors at the very least in our poor job market.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 AM

Thank you for the response and I totally understand what you mean. I am having that problem in my current state so I know moving wont solve the problem. I have thought about going to school again after I finsh my associates for something that would help me find a job quicker. Like I said I am still in the beginning stages of this thought and I am just looking for others insights on how the job market is out there for someone with no specialty skills.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tperkins123 View Post
Thank you for the response and I totally understand what you mean. I am having that problem in my current state so I know moving wont solve the problem. I have thought about going to school again after I finsh my associates for something that would help me find a job quicker. Like I said I am still in the beginning stages of this thought and I am just looking for others insights on how the job market is out there for someone with no specialty skills.
The job market is not great by historical standards. That's for sure. But the unemployment rate is lower than the national average, still, and some people are finding jobs and getting offers. The big problem is that there are so many after every opening. Frankly, it might be easier to have a less of a job history and less specialized skills. Employers are quick to label as "over-qualified" as well as under-qualified in this environment. It's hard to find a match to your skills once you get a longer resume. I would not move unless I had something lined up, though, or unless I got laid off in the old place. If you lose a job, you are looking for opportunity down the road and I think this is still the land of growth and opportunity in the US.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM

35 posts, read 96,042 times
Hi there!

Im in a situation very much like yours I live in IN...tired of the cold and have been to AZ several times during the past few years to make sure I liked it.

Im a single mom of 3 myself and was very concerned with the job situation but, I have been very blessed to receive a few offers and I wondered if you have ever considered being a debt collector?

The only reason I ask is there are many jobs open for this field. It's not what I went to school for (criminal justice) but, I have been able to support myself and my 3 children without any child support OR government assistance by being a professional debt collector.

There are many stereotypes out there about "us" but, I find being courteous and empathedic to be quite rewarding.

Something to think about. Also we are moving to goodyear as well it's quite lovely and very diverse. So let me be one of the many to say welcome and I will be there July of 2009 if you have any other questions now or in the future. You only live once and with a mother's determination and your ability to recognize the need for education I see you as a success! Stay blessed

Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Ponderosa, I can understand what your saying. I dislike my job so much and there is no room for growth where I am at that I only wish I could get laid off...then I would go back to school on unemployments dime and get some type of specialized training. Of course I am not going to do anything to get myself fired or anything...that would just be plain ole stupid but I only wish that their would be a layoff at my job.

I only would be making this move to Arizona if I had employment already lined up or as I said I got laid off and was recieving unemployment. I would never move before I had other options already set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The job market is not great by historical standards. That's for sure. But the unemployment rate is lower than the national average, still, and some people are finding jobs and getting offers. The big problem is that there are so many after every opening. Frankly, it might be easier to have a less of a job history and less specialized skills. Employers are quick to label as "over-qualified" as well as under-qualified in this environment. It's hard to find a match to your skills once you get a longer resume. I would not move unless I had something lined up, though, or unless I got laid off in the old place. If you lose a job, you are looking for opportunity down the road and I think this is still the land of growth and opportunity in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area