Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,776 times

Advertisements

Showing their children to totally disrespect the laws by example by speeding and running red lights~ ripping up tickets and laughing about it?

These actions definitely are absorbed by children and results in children who feel they may do anything and the laws of their country do not pertain to them.

Disrespect for laws is disrespect for laws~ up to and including murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
its not just the law its any form of authority. its not really teaching it more like modeling.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,484,624 times
This is something I've wondered. Some people say it's good parenting to teach underage people how to drive. How is it good parenting to teach them to break the law?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:46 PM

75 posts, read 189,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Showing their children to totally disrespect the laws by example by speeding and running red lights~ ripping up tickets and laughing about it?

These actions definitely are absorbed by children and results in children who feel they may do anything and the laws of their country do not pertain to them.

Disrespect for laws is disrespect for laws~ up to and including murder
They don't care if their child lives the rest of their life in prison!!
Just plan idiots is all. reminds me of that stupid nanny show who goes in to help parents to teach their bratty kids to behave. I say a good spanking won't hurt, spank their ass hard and send them to their room.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,487,888 times
ySo you're all saying that by my driving 72 in a 65, I'm subliminally telling my kids it's alright to murder someone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This is something I've wondered. Some people say it's good parenting to teach underage people how to drive. How is it good parenting to teach them to break the law?
Maybe you have lived in the "big city" all your life so I'll take your statement that way. Did you know that in middle America it is common, not as much now as it was in my parents generation, for kids that are 5-10 to drive combines, grain trucks, and other various farm machinery(including automobiles)? Farm kids to this day usually don't start school until a month after other kids. They have the harvest to worry about. I guess all my aunts and uncles are teaching their kids to murder people, not that famed mid-western work ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlaz View Post
I say a good spanking won't hurt, spank their ass hard and send them to their room.
It may not be the best way. It's debatable. I personally think it's worse to yell than to spank. I have no problem with teaching a kid that their actions have consequences. Works better than a "time-out".

I think this thread is silly. I agree that in most instances that parenting responsible for all the good or bad that their children do in life. But come on........

Maybe you should of posted this in "great debates".

Last edited by roundball; 02-28-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,711,484 times
Quote:
They don't care if their child lives the rest of their life in prison!!
Just plan idiots is all. reminds me of that stupid nanny show who goes in to help parents to teach their bratty kids to behave. I say a good spanking won't hurt, spank their ass hard and send them to their room.
You could be less barbaric and do something a lot more ingenious. I feel parents that spank punish based on their own emotion than thought.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM

75 posts, read 189,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You could be less barbaric and do something a lot more ingenious. I feel parents that spank punish based on their own emotion than thought.
I guess, like hire nanny 911 after repeating oneself a million times.
I don't mean discipline them this way each time they step out of line. Taking away conveniences like cell phones, televisions, ipods, video games, visiting friends works also. It is barbaric.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,711,484 times
Quote:
I guess, like hire nanny 911 after repeating oneself a million times.
I don't mean discipline them this way each time they step out of line. Taking away conveniences like cell phones, televisions, ipods, video games, visiting friends works also. It is barbaric.
Unfortunately i was raised by spanking and for me it solved nothing. I would constantly get whipped for bad grades, not doing my chores, my parental forgetting what he said and end up whipping me anyway. It honestly degrades the child and solves nothing. I would go even as far as saying over whipping a child will degrade the child's emotion stability and self esteem to a point of constantly thoughts of suicide. If a child was beat, not talking belt,switch, hand, to ass contact. I'm referring to beating up a child like in a boxing match, could possibly turn the child into a criminal to find his own escape from the nightmare.

I agree with the taking away conveniences including future conveniences. For example, the family never has ice cream or such and because of the child's behavior, the other children get an ice cream. This was used on a co-worker and he is a very well put together 40 year old.

Turning to the Criminal Justice system, the system considers me a criminal, yet i've never cause any harm to anyone, made any crime, i'm quite the opposite of what a criminal is.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,576,266 times
Traffic laws are life-saving if 99.999% of the people follow them. And they do. If that percentage drops to even 99%, we'd have a serious problem with the 1%.

As for victimless crime laws, I have serious issues with those. Years ago it was said that there are 20,000 laws in various levels of government. Not a day goes by when you actually violate a law. I'm not giving an excuse, I'm just saying that we've long gone past saturation and heavy handed government is settling in. The fact that you may break ridiculous laws that are victimless crimes certainly does not make you a bad person at all.

I lived on the east coast in Maryland a few months ago. They have the ridiculous southern style blue laws. You can drink alcohol in a bar or restaurant, but you cannot buy any from a liquor store on Sunday. And alcohol is sold only in liquor stores (6 days a week) or served in bars and restaurants (7 days a week). You cannot buy any in a grocery store, Trader Joes, Costco, and so on. IMO, anyone who drives under the influence is endangering other people's lives and should be treated as criminals. People just need to be responsible and know where they could cause a threat to someone else.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 03-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,776 times
[quote=roundball;7676511]ySo you're all saying that by my driving 72 in a 65, I'm subliminally telling my kids it's alright to murder someone?

Yes~ that is EXACTLY what I'm saying~ if ou show by example that you feel you are above the law you are showing by example that you feel that laws do not pertain to them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area