Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 PM

111 posts, read 392,620 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have read a lot of AZ threads and many state how poor the schools are. As do national stats. I have been getting closer to wanting to move there but have serious reservations about the school system for my 3rd and 5th grade girls. fwiw, the schools we are in now are nothing to write home about. (and I work there).

Basically I would really love to hear anything teachers are able to tell me about their school settings, evironment, administration, principal support and the kids in general. The areas I am most interested in are Tempe, Goodyear/Litchfield and possibly Peoria but welcome any input from anywhere on the inside.

Also, any parents that want to give their experiences would be great too.

Please, tell me why AZ ranks so low???....thanks for your help; let me know if you need anymore info from me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
Not much direct experience with the Phoenix schools yet; our daughter is too young. But my wife has started tutoring kids with special needs at a school in north Phoenix. Absolutely HORRIBLE support structure there. A girl has a learning disability of some kind, having trouble writing, so a teacher ordered her to write something 100 times. This teacher has no concept of special needs and no common sense. Don't education degree programs teach even a little about exceptional cases?

Yeah, the schools are pretty grim. And now they're talking about closing ASU West and a few other places. Talk about misplaced priorities. My advice would be, look at the charter schools and some of the schools in Scottsdale, and consider home schooling.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM

That is NOT teaching. Do they not have a SPED program? I currently work with kids with special needs or bellow gr. level kids and they absolutely need extra attention. Talk about just letting the kids slip thru the cracks. Unacceptable!

I have read varying things on charter schools so not sure on that yet, and I am definately not homeschooling, I just wouldn't be good at it for my own kids. I'm great with others but couldn't do it with my own at home, also there are many aspects of school I can appreciate for them to experience.......then again stuff I could certainly do without!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Oh, I forgot to write in my op...are there music programs weekly? art? pe? library? recess? What I guess I consider some of the basics apart from math, etc. How about sports, drama....you name it?

thanks again.

Last edited by breathe&relax; 03-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: fixed spacing

Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,970 times
Look at the free/reduced school lunches at the different schools. Poverty is contagious.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,340 times
Hana, i wouldn't give into Arizona school stats for another 10 years. The testing standard was shoved into the school system in the middle of a lot of students grade school career. As far as violence in schools, teachers can't do anything.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,171,668 times
PUSD and DVUSD are great districts (as far as test scores and general statistics are concerned). Scottsdale is also a great district but that may not be the case for much longer as they are increasing class sizes to almost 50 due to the budget issue.

IMHO the reason that Arizona is bottom of the preverbal barrel as far as education is because of the state standards and funding issues we have. State standards obviously do not measure up when compared to the North East...Apparently our state government doesn't feel that education is as important as tearing up our highways either....

Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
the litchfield ESD is pretty good. Litchfield Elementary, Palm Valley Elementary and Verrado Elementary are all pretty good. The district has elementary school (K-5) and then middle schools (6-8).

There are sports options available as well as music, art, PE, etc.

The PTOs are very active (if a bit of a clique).

However, if you have an educational background and stay involved, the teachers will stay involved with you.

As with anyplace you'll run into the occasional excpetion to the rule - but all in all you can guide your kid to a good education.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 AM

575 posts, read 1,779,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaMandamom View Post
Oh, I forgot to write in my op...are there music programs weekly? art? pe? library? recess? What I guess I consider some of the basics apart from math, etc. How about sports, drama....you name it?

thanks again.

As the PP stated, there are definite issues with education as a whole in AZ. That doesn't mean there aren't good schools though. You just have to do your homework and find one that is a good fit for you and your kids.

As a parent I can only speak to my experience with our neighborhood schools in DVUSD, but maybe it will be helpful.

At the elementary level: we had dedicated music, art, and PE teachers and the kids went to those classes once a week. Time in the library and the computer lab was offered on a rotating basis, so one or the other every week. Recess time was shortened a couple of years ago, but not completely eliminated. Band was an option, but it replaced music ie: the kids had to choose one or the other. Kids in 4-6 could attend chorus twice a week before school and they put on a cute little "musical" every year. An after school flag football competition was a tradition every fall, but only because one of the teachers took it on, I wouldn't count on that as a given.

Whew, I think I adressed all the specifics you asked about.

BTW, there were also plenty of after school programs/classes on site, but those were offered through independant businesses, so of course additional fees were involved.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Wow, thanks you guys for all of your great input. It helps to hear all is not lost. Too bad the state can't see the value in education. Hello, these kids will be involved in your community one way or another, good or bad. Let's head em in the right direction.

So since I don't live there, I am not familiar with all the acronyms but correct me if I'm wrong....PUSD-Peoria?, DVUSD-is that Deer Valley?. I have heard before these are good. Does anyone have any comments on Tempe? I know it is considered a little more urban but I kinda like the thought of that too.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area