Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,133 times

Advertisements

I just moved to this area about a year ago. After being here for awhile I would really like to get back into the routine of riding again. Does anyone know where I can go or where I can find a horse to ride? I had to leave mine with my parents when I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
There aren't NEARLY as many riding stables with horses for rent here as there used to be. I think there is still one out in the far east Valley. Your other option would be to go somewhere where you could take some lessons. You'd ride a better quality of horse, but it would be in an arena. What type of riding did you do (English, Western), and what part of the Valley do you live in?. I might be able to steer you to a few places.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,769,592 times
here are stables @ South Mountain Park driving in through Central Ave Entrance. Also, near the Phoenix Zoo on Van Buren. Both locations you can rent horses and ride on trails.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,092 times
There are also stables near Saguaro Lake, Red Mountain and Gold Canyon.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
here are stables @ South Mountain Park driving in through Central Ave Entrance. Also, near the Phoenix Zoo on Van Buren. Both locations you can rent horses and ride on trails.
Do you mean Papago Stables as "near the Phoenix Zoo"? The stable nearest the zoo (Weldon's) has been gone for years. Papago is wedged in between Tempe Town Lake and Rural Road and a boat parking lot. I'm not sure they do rentals any more (I'll take your word for it), but it is a lot trickier place to get in and out of, on horseback than it was when it was not surrounded by stuff. I don't know if you have to use a guide.

It's good to see that the two stables are still operating down at the end of Central Ave in South Mountain Park. I was last there years ago, for a group cookout ride. I'm not sure if they allow anything unguided there, I've never asked.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Do you mean Papago Stables as "near the Phoenix Zoo"? The stable nearest the zoo (Weldon's) has been gone for years. Papago is wedged in between Tempe Town Lake and Rural Road and a boat parking lot. I'm not sure they do rentals any more, but it is a lot trickier place to get in and out of than it used to be.
Uhm Pagago doesnt extend to Rural Rd. it goes to Mill Ave. Not sure if the stables are gone been I while since i've been to them.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,557 times
Quote:
Do you mean Papago Stables as "near the Phoenix Zoo"? The stable nearest the zoo (Weldon's) has been gone for years. Papago is wedged in between Tempe Town Lake and Rural Road and a boat parking lot. I'm not sure they do rentals any more (I'll take your word for it), but it is a lot trickier place to get in and out of, on horseback than it was when it was not surrounded by stuff. I don't know if you have to use a guide.

It's good to see that the two stables are still operating down at the end of Central Ave in South Mountain Park. I was last there years ago, for a group cookout ride. I'm not sure if they allow anything unguided there, I've never asked.
Its on the west side of Scottsdale road south of McDowell (call first). You can rent a horse for riding there. I do not recommend South Mountain. It is hard core touristy with horses that are ill behaved trail nags used to ignoring novice riders. And they even ask ahead of time for tips (seriously).

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM

South of McDowell??? Yes, a few miles south. You can see it from the 202, it's just south of the 202, between the 202 and Tempe Town Lake.

Can you rent a horse there without a guide?

Thanks for the update on the South Mountain folks. I'm not surprised.

AZ Native4Life -- the closest exit to Papago Stables, (and what used to be the road for access to it --I haven't been on the Papago property for years, so I don't know if car access has changed), is Rural, not Mill. You can, as I said, see the stables from the 202 eastbound, right before the Rural off ramp.

Hopefully the OP will come back and fill us in with some more details of what she's looking for. A private stable may be a better connection, either through lessons or meeting some people who will let her ride their horses.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
South of McDowell??? Yes, a few miles south. You can see it from the 202, it's just south of the 202, between the 202 and Tempe Town Lake.

Can you rent a horse there without a guide?

Thanks for the update on the South Mountain folks. I'm not surprised.

AZ Native4Life -- the closest exit to Papago Stables, (and what used to be the road for access to it --I haven't been on the Papago property for years, so I don't know if car access has changed), is Rural, not Mill. You can, as I said, see the stables from the 202 eastbound, right before the Rural off ramp.

Hopefully the OP will come back and fill us in with some more details of what she's looking for. A private stable may be a better connection, either through lessons or meeting some people who will let her ride their horses.
I have lived in the Tempe area my whole life. Rural turns into Scottsdale Rd. Papago curves along Van Buren which turns in Mill @ Curry Rd

Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
I have lived in the Tempe area my whole life. Rural turns into Scottsdale Rd. Papago curves along Van Buren which turns in Mill @ Curry Rd
I've lived there more than half of mine, but perhaps now I understand the confusion. I was never talkiing about a "Papago" street or road, and didn't get that you were. If you can get to Papago Stables on that road, from Mill/Van Buren, then that makes sense. I can't remember whether there was a street I turned onto off of Rural to get there, I got onto Papago Stables property years ago when I went there from Rural, not from the Mill/Van Buren direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area