Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 37,741 times

Advertisements

I was at the airport and dropped off my husband quickly. I didn't read that the sign said "No PUBLIC waiting or stopping" I thought the sign was the same as signs in other areas that say "No waiting or stopping" and you can drop off your passengers. I failed to read this because some guy was waving at me. I thought he was telling me to hurry on through as they do in other areas. Turns out he was telling me not to stop there. (I think he WANTED me to stop there so he could yell at me...power hungry!). When my husband got out, the guy said you shouldn't stop here, or you'll get a fine. My husband apologized but as I drove away, the airport guy (whatever he is) wrote down my plate number (which is a temporary one from the dealer) and said he would give my information to the police. I have a clean record. I wouldn't have stopped if I knew that I was not allowed to. Who in his/her right mind would? Now does anyone know what might happen and what I can do? Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Somehow I doubt he will actually turn it in, and if he does, it's a parking ticket, as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't "go on your record", as far as a driving record.

That said, I guess no stopping, public or otherwise, means NO stopping, at least in that guy's mind. Thanks for posting this, for the benefit of all of us who drop people off at the airport, so we are watchful about where we do that.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Somehow I doubt he will actually turn it in, and if he does, it's a parking ticket, as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't "go on your record", as far as a driving record.

That said, I guess no stopping, public or otherwise, means NO stopping, at least in that guy's mind. Thanks for posting this, for the benefit of all of us who drop people off at the airport, so we are watchful about where we do that.
Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel a lot better. Anyway, I see people stopping at the place I stopped all the time (though at night) so I thought it was okay. My husband went back to yell at this guy because my husband had apologized many times and was sick of it. Then the guy said that if my husband really felt guilty that he should go upstairs and pay the fine. Which means that we probably are not obliged to do so.

Oops, and I realize in my first post that I should have wrote that I thought the signs were the same as "No waiting or parking, unloading passengers only" signs (or something similar to that). I was distracted by this guy waving at me which is why I wasn't really paying attention. If he hadn't waved I probably would have focused on the sign and wouldn't have stopped. Anyway I'm sure my fellow arizonans will be smarter than I was! =)

Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
There is a major difference between No Stopping and Passenger Loading Zones.

Ever since the 9/11 attacks, the No Stopping Laws at Airports all over the country have been more rigorously enforced.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Bummer, you are right. That's why paying close attention to the exact wording of the signs is the best policy.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropikalrain View Post
,,,, the airport guy (whatever he is) wrote down my plate number (which is a temporary one from the dealer) and said he would give my information to the police.,,,,,
Even if it was a normal plate, a officer has to see the violation to write a ticket.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM

I think, from my impression of the story, that the "airport guy" was the airport policeman/security, in uniform. I think he COULD write the ticket, I just don't think he will.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think, from my impression of the story, that the "airport guy" was the airport policeman/security, in uniform. I think he COULD write the ticket, I just don't think he will.
Yeah I suppose he was a security guard. Wearing regular clothes. Wouldn't he have to give the ticket to me right at that time? Would they really hunt me down and bring it to my house? What if I never went to the airport again with that car? Just asking for everyone's thoughts, not going to hold anyone accountable =P

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
There is a major difference between No Stopping and Passenger Loading Zones.

Ever since the 9/11 attacks, the No Stopping Laws at Airports all over the country have been more rigorously enforced.

Yes but the wording and format is a bit similar. It's actually a taxi/bus stopping place, oops. I wish I had paid more attention but waving guy distracted me =( And it is not rigorously enforced at certain times of the day. At night (i've been there around 8-9) it's not enforced. It should be enforced all hours of the day. Made me think that it was a place to stop. =/

Last edited by tropikalrain; 03-09-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Well, they are protective of those restricted zones, too. I've seen people sitting in the bus zone when the bus is trying to get in.

Hopefully nothing will come of this for you... It really shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area