Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,358,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Again, it's a slogan, not a name.

Do people say "I know what to do this weekend...let's go to What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."?

No, they don't.
Whatever it is, it's pretty lame. It's bad enough that Cardinals stadium is name "The University of Phoenix Stadium" Cmon Arizona. I can take Copper Square seriously. Arizona's Urban Heart just sounds like the title of contest that Third Graders were asked to come up with: "Billy Martin of Kyrene Elementary School was the winner of Arizona's downtown title contest" I agree that Copper Square doesn't really attract people either but its better than Arizona's Urban Heart. That would just make us look ridiculous

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-09-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
As for more things to do...what suggestions do you have that would make you and others frequent downtown a lot more often?
Upscale shopping and restaurants that are all right next to each other and have sidewalks. If they had some cool book stores, restaurants with patios and cool boutique stores or even trendy chain stores, that would bring me to downtown more and I would even consider moving there since I work there.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM

549 posts, read 1,564,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Upscale shopping and restaurants that are all right next to each other and have sidewalks. If they had some cool book stores, restaurants with patios and cool boutique stores or even trendy chain stores, that would bring me to downtown more and I would even consider moving there since I work there.
*Exactly.* Like any street in Chicago or San Francisco. *Those* cities have an urban heart.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,564,385 times
Quote:
Again, it's a slogan, not a name.

Do people say "I know what to do this weekend...let's go to What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."?

No, they don't.
Then why bother with the name at all? People *do* say the phrase, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." It's a terrific slogan for a unique city. I can't think of anything unique or memorable about "Arizona's Urban Heart." Build the downtown, people will come, *then* it develops an identity. Not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I think Phoenix has made great strides and I honestly believe it's on the right track. But lame slogans won't make much of a difference.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,570,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Phoenix has made great strides and I honestly believe it's on the right track. But lame slogans won't make much of a difference.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 PM

768 posts, read 1,765,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be an Entertainment-bar-club district built that would have rivaled Burbon street in New Orleans? That's what I heard. Anyway what happened to that plan?????

Get City scape built to it's full potential, put in more storefronts, adult entertainment, places that people actually want to go after dark.

I just think that Arizona's Urban heart sounds lame - especially when there's a lot more than 1 Urban heart in Arizona. Phoenix alone has several districts and well-known Intersections that could be considered Urban meccas.

As a NOLA native - Phoenix couldn't re-create a Bourbon Street atmosphere or attitude if they wanted too. The French Quarter has a soul that is over 250 years old and is a one of a kind place.

NOLA is not the only city on the planet (San Fran, San Diego, Chinatown NYC, Georgetown, Key West) that happens to have a unique, one-of-a-kind neighborhood.

Phoenix has NO soul. No vibe, no history, no pulse. Too bad the city didn't save the tax payers $160,000. The city could have used the money to keep the library hours from cut-backs or maybe bought some paint to cover up all the UGLY graffiti...sad, sad, sad.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,337,835 times
Quote:
Get City scape built to it's full potential, put in more storefronts, adult entertainment, places that people actually want to go after dark.
I agree about CityScape. Actually, it's under construction now (at least the first phase is) ... except it's now likely to be a scaled back version. Downtown could use more eateries, as well as more after hours type of activities. There are Suns & DBacks games, and concerts at U.S. Airways Center, Orpheum, Herberger, and Dodge Theatres ... but not too much 24/7 type of entertainment. More highrise hotels are needed as well. I'd really like to see downtown become a corporate/financial hub too.

Quote:
I just think that Arizona's Urban heart sounds lame - especially when there's a lot more than 1 Urban heart in Arizona. Phoenix alone has several districts and well-known Intersections that could be considered Urban meccas.
You're right. In reality, the "urban heart" of Phoenix extends north along Central Avenue to about Camelback ... which is also known as the Central Corridor. Camelback East/Biltmore (24th Street/Camelback) could also be considered an urban heart. Tempe & Scottsdale have very active urban hearts. Referring to downtown Phoenix as "Arizona's urban heart" makes it sound like the entire state only has one downtown area. Even if they came up with something more inspiring, the whole idea for a special name or marketing strategy is rather idiotic. How about just calling it "downtown Phoenix"???
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Phoenix has NO soul. No vibe, no history, no pulse.
Well, in a way it does ... but it seems like one has to look hard to find the vibe, the soul, the history, and the pulse. It's scattered, and not confined to the urban core. A lot of the active nightlife is in Scottsdale and Tempe. Or, you could drive on the 101 through endless miles of CookieCutterville (and vacant land) to Westgate Center, which is supposed to be Glendale's pulse.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,519,081 times
This was just a ruse to p*ss off Tucson

Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Phoenix has NO soul. No vibe, no history, no pulse. Too bad the city didn't save the tax payers $160,000. The city could have used the money to keep the library hours from cut-backs or maybe bought some paint to cover up all the UGLY graffiti...sad, sad, sad.
It's funny because New Orleans tries to justify it's third world living standards by saying "Yeah but we have culture" as if that makes up for all of the other negative traits that far outnumber Phoenix in several ways. Yes, we have no funk or soul like New Orleans but we also don't have vomit, filth and poverty that New Orleans is known for as well. New Orleans honestly smells like a combination of vomit, feces and dead fish all at the same time. I love New Orleans but you couldn't pay me to live there. I'll take my sterile cultureless utopia in Phoenix over that filth pond called New Orleans anyday. New Orleans is like Las Vegas in that it's a place you visit but don't settle down in. And where are you in any position to criticize Phoenix for not removing graffitti? You are from New Orleans. How about New Orleans remove the heroin addicts that pester people for money in the French Quarter? Would it kill New Orleans to pick up diapers and other trash off the street? New Orleans is just a dirty dirty city and extremely unsafe. Not only does it have a large organized crime presence but they have a gang problem too. Also, Mardi Gras has changed. It used to be fun. I went twice. The first time was in the early 90's and it was a lot more classy and you had normal people. You had fraternities and sorrorities there but they were from colleges from all over the United States. Then I went again in 2002 and it had completely changed, it was full of local high school thugs. I'm all for having culture but not at the expense of enduring third world living conditions. I have friends who did residency at Tulane and their ER shifts were literally hell due to all the gunshot victims that came there on a regular basis; it makes Maricopa look like the Mayo Clinic. Oh yeah and then it's a part of the south which has it's own troubles ie racism. Normally, I would refrain from making these comments but you have taken several shots against Phoenix so I'm sure you understand the rules and can handle it. After all, if you can dish out the criticism, you should be able to accept the truth regarding New Orleans in return.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-09-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM

768 posts, read 1,765,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's funny because New Orleans tries to justify it's third world living standards by saying "Yeah but we have culture" as if that makes up for all of the other negative traits that far outnumber Phoenix in several ways. Yes, we have no funk or soul like New Orleans but we also don't have vomit, filth and poverty that New Orleans is known for as well. New Orleans honestly smells like a combination of vomit, feces and dead fish all at the same time. I love New Orleans but you couldn't pay me to live there. I'll take my sterile cultureless utopia in Phoenix over that filth pond called New Orleans anyday. New Orleans is like Las Vegas in that it's a place you visit but don't settle down in. And where are you in any position to criticize Phoenix for not removing graffitti? You are from New Orleans. How about New Orleans remove the heroin addicts that pester people for money in the French Quarter? Would it kill New Orleans to pick up diapers and other trash off the street? New Orleans is just a dirty dirty city and extremely unsafe. Not only does it have a large organized crime presence but they have a gang problem too. Also, Mardi Gras has changed. It used to be fun. I went twice. The first time was in the early 90's and it was a lot more classy and you had normal people. You had fraternities and sorrorities there but they were from colleges from all over the United States. Then I went again in 2002 and it had completely changed, it was full of local high school thugs. I'm all for having culture but not at the expense of enduring third world living conditions. I have friends who did residency at Tulane and their ER shifts were literally hell due to all the gunshot victims that came there on a regular basis; it makes Maricopa look like the Mayo Clinic. Oh yeah and then it's a part of the south which has it's own troubles ie racism. Normally, I would refrain from making these comments but you have taken several shots against Phoenix so I'm sure you understand the rules and can handle it. After all, if you can dish out the criticism, you should be able to accept the truth regarding New Orleans in return.

YIKES! and it isn't even summer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area