Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,546 times

Advertisements

Man why is everyone bagging on Copper Square, I kinda dig that name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 PM

919 posts, read 3,401,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Silicon Spheres would be more indicative of the modern population.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
YIKES! and it isn't even summer...
LOL...much respect and my apologies. You could have unloaded on me. I owe you one. You can rip on Phoenix again and I will not respond.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 AM

768 posts, read 1,763,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LOL...much respect and my apologies. You could have unloaded on me. I owe you one. You can rip on Phoenix again and I will not respond.

Nah - I will take a different road and avoid forum posts that you participate in...life's too short for growling. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,021,176 times
Why does the name matter? People are not going to travel downtown because of a slogan . People are not going downtown no matter what you call it.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM

725 posts, read 2,326,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LOL! Good one!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM

725 posts, read 2,326,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Why does the name matter? People are not going to travel downtown because of a slogan . People are not going downtown no matter what you call it.
What a stupid reply!!!!!!!

People do go Downtown for different reasons. If you want to go a Sun's Game, that's in Downtown Phx. People work Downtown too. All those Office towers aren't just there for show.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,510,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
I think my problem with it is that it didn't actually refer to a "Square", like we see in other cities (Union Square, Trafalgar Square, even the now defunct Patriot Square), but to some sort of amorphous area of downtown covering several blocks that may have been a rectangle . I was never sure whether or not I was actually IN Copper Square.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM

549 posts, read 1,562,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think my problem with it is that it didn't actually refer to a "Square", like we see in other cities (Union Square, Trafalgar Square, even the now defunct Patriot Square), but to some sort of amorphous area of downtown covering several blocks that may have been a rectangle . I was never sure whether or not I was actually IN Copper Square.
I kind of thought it was a cool name too, but the problem is that it didn't really *refer* to anything. Union Square is a defined neighborhood in New York, just as Logan Square is a defined neighborhood in Chicago. But "Copper Square" had no relation to anything that was in downtown at this time. Nobody was going to ever refer to downtown as Copper Square, not really - in a way, returning the name to "downtown Phoenix" is a good idea. I'm just not as taken with "Arizona's Urban Heart," which is just as meaningless.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Nah - I will take a different road and avoid forum posts that you participate in...life's too short for growling. Thanks anyway.
If life is too short for growling then why do you growl so much about Phoenix particularly in nearly every thread I might add. If you can't handle criticism regarding New Orleans then perhaps you should think twice before making this your personal sounding board to criticize Phoenix. I've read your posts and nearly all of them are critical of Phoenix. It's obvious, you have an agenda to vent about Phoenix. Maybe others ignored it but I'm not going to. Anyway, I was trying to be civil and let it go, but seeing the stance that you are taking, I won't hesitate to call you out on your statements regarding Phoenix seeing as you routinely make up facts about the city since are heavily biased against it. I particularly enjoyed your erroneous and contrived statements about how the IT industry doesn't grow here even during strong times which is completely inaccurate as the hardware industry exploded (which is also part of the IT industry grew) in the 90's. I just laughed when I read that but ignored it because it was obvious you had no clue what you were talking about. Unlike you, I know more than enough IT recruiters who worked at companies like Hall Kinion, Robert Half, K-Force etc who made a fortune here based on dotcoms alone. You didn't even live here long enough to qualify your opinion on that issue seeing as most of the growth in the IT industry occurred in the 90's and early 2000's when you didn't live here. I have read your other critical threads in the past and ignored them out of civility. I just figured you missed home and just wanted to vent. I felt bad for you. However, you are no longer getting a free pass from me. Just like with your inaccurate statements about the IT job industry, the next time you choose to contrive some rubbish about Phoenix, I'm going to call you out on it. Guess what, you can't just make up whatever you want about Phoenix any longer.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-11-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area