Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,220,983 times

Advertisements

I'm spending a week in Arizona this week with my girlfriend. We are from a suburb of Buffalo, New York. We set up a few job interviews, and have been trying to relocate here for the past six months.

Here are some of my opinions on the area. I have been to Arizona several times as a kid.. I'm 26 now, and this is the first time I have gone with my significant other, rented a car, and gotten the true Arizona "experience".

First of all, the PHX airport taxes are insane on rental cars. We rented at a hertz about 5 miles away from the airport, and saved over $150 for one week's rental. I took a shuttle bus for 25 dollars, it was well worth it.

We are staying in Tempe at the Fiesta Resort. I really like Tempe, it feels like home in the summertime. Good neighborhoods. The mill avenue district feels like certain areas of Buffalo. Very artsy, nice bars, etc. I bet it is a nuthouse after dark though.

One night after coming home, we got a bright flash in our face when crossing a intersection. I think the guy behind us ran the red light, and the camera got him. I hope we don't get dragged into this, I've been worried about it..

The job market here is TOUGH.. There are a ton more jobs here than in Buffalo, but the competition is fierce. I interviewed for a couple entry jobs, and it wasn't worth taking a huge paycut to move here, and struggle. Jobs here pay a little more than in Buffalo, NY but not much.

I will relocate here once I get a firm job offer, for a full time job, that pays more than I make in New York.

My girlfriend interviewed for a entry level temp job in her career, the agent told her that over 100 people had applied for this one job (sub 30k), and that they would probably pick someone local over her.

We looked at some homes in Maricopa, AZ. They were in our price range. The ones that I found on the internet, I went to visit them, but they were all in Active Adult Communities, and they had gated entrances. I pulled up to the gate, and just told the guard I was at the wrong place, lol.

Maricopa is beautiful, I see a ton of potential there. I expected it to be an arid wasteland with nothing around. There is some retail shopping, not a ton but enough to get by. The drive from Tempe is LONG and terrible. It really is in the middle of nowhere, I would hate that drive. But if I worked in Chandler, I would consider buying there.

We went up to the tourist trap of Old Town Scottsdale. I enjoyed walking around outside more than the touristy gift shops.

We are going up to Sedona today, and tomorrow to a horseback riding ranch.

Then we will return to Buffalo, where it is 20 degrees and snowing, and cry ourselves to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
I'm spending a week in Arizona this week with my girlfriend. We are from a suburb of Buffalo, New York. We set up a few job interviews, and have been trying to relocate here for the past six months.

Here are some of my opinions on the area. I have been to Arizona several times as a kid.. I'm 26 now, and this is the first time I have gone with my significant other, rented a car, and gotten the true Arizona "experience".

First of all, the PHX airport taxes are insane on rental cars. We rented at a hertz about 5 miles away from the airport, and saved over $150 for one week's rental. I took a shuttle bus for 25 dollars, it was well worth it.

We are staying in Tempe at the Fiesta Resort. I really like Tempe, it feels like home in the summertime. Good neighborhoods. The mill avenue district feels like certain areas of Buffalo. Very artsy, nice bars, etc. I bet it is a nuthouse after dark though.

One night after coming home, we got a bright flash in our face when crossing a intersection. I think the guy behind us ran the red light, and the camera got him. I hope we don't get dragged into this, I've been worried about it..

The job market here is TOUGH.. There are a ton more jobs here than in Buffalo, but the competition is fierce. I interviewed for a couple entry jobs, and it wasn't worth taking a huge paycut to move here, and struggle. Jobs here pay a little more than in Buffalo, NY but not much.

I will relocate here once I get a firm job offer, for a full time job, that pays more than I make in New York.

My girlfriend interviewed for a entry level temp job in her career, the agent told her that over 100 people had applied for this one job (sub 30k), and that they would probably pick someone local over her.

We looked at some homes in Maricopa, AZ. They were in our price range. The ones that I found on the internet, I went to visit them, but they were all in Active Adult Communities, and they had gated entrances. I pulled up to the gate, and just told the guard I was at the wrong place, lol.

Maricopa is beautiful, I see a ton of potential there. I expected it to be an arid wasteland with nothing around. There is some retail shopping, not a ton but enough to get by. The drive from Tempe is LONG and terrible. It really is in the middle of nowhere, I would hate that drive. But if I worked in Chandler, I would consider buying there.

We went up to the tourist trap of Old Town Scottsdale. I enjoyed walking around outside more than the touristy gift shops.

We are going up to Sedona today, and tomorrow to a horseback riding ranch.

Then we will return to Buffalo, where it is 20 degrees and snowing, and cry ourselves to sleep.
Loved reading your post. Tempe IS nice, haven't lived there all these years for nothing. I do as you do with rental cars, when I need one, there's an Avis location walking distance from my house.

Don't worry about getting "dragged in" to a situation with someone else running a red light. If it's his ticket, it's him against the camera. If YOU don't get a ticket too for running the light, no worries.

I think you would TIRE of that commute on the 347 into Maricopa, even if you lived in Chandler. There's lots for sale there at good prices-- one survey says 75 percent of homeowners there are upside down on their houses... some homeowners are just walking away rather than waiting to even break even, lots of short sales.

Downtown Scottsdale is fun to look at and walk around in. The first time I crossed a real street by myself was at Scottsdale and Main when I was a little kid... my mom and aunt ran a little store on Main St. Even now, some things there are actually worth buying, and at decent prices, if you know where to look.

You'll love Sedona... it's a great getaway for all of us down here.

I don't know how cost of living compares to Buffalo, so I don't know how far what you make in Buffalo would take you here.

I wish you much luck, it sounds like you should be here... and all that crying yourself to sleep can get you down after a while.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,220,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Loved reading your post. Tempe IS nice, haven't lived there all these years for nothing. I do as you do with rental cars, when I need one, there's an Avis location walking distance from my house.

Don't worry about getting "dragged in" to a situation with someone else running a red light. If it's his ticket, it's him against the camera. If YOU don't get a ticket too for running the light, no worries.

I think you would TIRE of that commute on the 347 into Maricopa, even if you lived in Chandler. There's lots for sale there at good prices-- one survey says 75 percent of homeowners there are upside down on their houses... some homeowners are just walking away rather than waiting to even break even, lots of short sales.

Downtown Scottsdale is fun to look at and walk around in. The first time I crossed a real street by myself was at Scottsdale and Main when I was a little kid... my mom and aunt ran a little store on Main St. Even now, some things there are actually worth buying, and at decent prices, if you know where to look.

You'll love Sedona... it's a great getaway for all of us down here.

I don't know how cost of living compares to Buffalo, so I don't know how far what you make in Buffalo would take you here.

I wish you much luck, it sounds like you should be here... and all that crying yourself to sleep can get you down after a while.
Thanks for that info.

Today we went to Sedona, we absolutely loved it. I haven't been there since I was a kid, always a breathtaking sight. I have never been there in the springtime, it is very green and beautiful.

We just kept driving, and ended up in Flagstaff. I wasn't too impressed with the area that we ended up in. Not for me. Most of the snow had melted, but there were a few patches. We had ice cream at the dairy queen, and sat outside in Tshirts when it was about 50 degrees outside. People must think we are wackos.

The new lightrail is amazing. A super idea, I hope it really takes off. Great way to beat the traffic, and take a load off while going to work/school. Its the exact thing that we need in Western New York, but the politicians argue it, and the lawsuits fly, and it never gets done.

The cost of living in Buffalo versus a suburb of Phoenix is about the same. The houses are more money in Arizona, but the property taxes are much much cheaper. I have a two family house in a suburb of buffalo, and the taxes are 50% of the mortgage.

A much more expensive house in Arizona, would have the same mortgage payment, even including insurance, HOA, and taxes in the Escrow..

Great state you have here!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM

32 posts, read 112,016 times
Plus Tempe is quiet this week as ASU is out on spring break. i work at ASU and live in Maricopa. check out the KB homes as they have a variety of sizes and prices. it is a little off the beaten path but is quiet and lovely (don't count the cow smell sometimes).

I work 7-4 so i leave at 5:30am (i'm always early) and the traffic is lite. i do some of my shopping at Walmart before school but all in all if i were to travel straight to work it would take 35-45min. Home path is about 10 minutes longer sometimes.

Our taxes this year in maricopa was less that $800. I'm sure that will increase soon.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 AM

oh and the walmart is maricopa is opening in May!! Yeah!!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM

P.S. the house across the street from us is a short sale. just built last year and it's up for sale for $74,000. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area