Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM

25 posts, read 55,191 times

Advertisements

Trudawg, I am visting in July. Figured I would try and weather the worst! I have never visited before, so I am really looking forward to coming out and exploring. I can't wait to get out of Minnesota, really. For a billion reason.

he's so hott, I am sorry about your situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
LOL, sounds like you have some PUA skillz, I have sarged all over the valley myself, but the best spots seem to be in scottsdale for the nightlife.

Teeniewienniebeenie, when are you coming to PHX? Have you visited before?
I know the language well my friend.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeniebeenie View Post
he's so hott, I am sorry about your situation!
Thank you. You'll enjoy Phoenix.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I have been lurking around here for a few weeks. I am a 30 year-old single lady and I am sick of the cold weather that I get in Minnesota! I am looking at moving to AZ within the year. I am wondering, though, what community is best for 30-something single people? I see all kinds of places for families and retiree's, but nothing for a single person.

Any advice?
Scottsdale is ideal for singles, but you'll usually pay through the nose for just about anything, including a small apartment. The Camelback East section of Phoenix is fairly decent as well, especially around the 24th Street/Camelback area ... however, it's also rather pricey. Tempe might be the best location because it's rather inexpensive, and attracts lots of younger, single people (mainly due to the nightlife along Mill Avenue).

I'm not sure what the cost of living is like in Minnesota, but it's not as cheap as it used to be in the Phoenix area ... so don't expect something decent or fun for a low price. You might be able to get a foreclosed home for a decent price in a far flung suburban area (Maricopa, Queen Creek, Buckeye, Surprise, Anthem, etc.), but those places are more geared toward families or older folks.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 PM

121 posts, read 519,986 times
Quote:
Trudawg, I am visting in July. Figured I would try and weather the worst!
I am thinking about moving to AZ but my problem are those "bad months". I am trying to figure out how to split my months....I can do az from nov-march with no problem! In any case wish you the best on your move.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 AM

122 posts, read 210,028 times
I lived in Phoenix for 2 years before I left. I was like you and thought it would be a refreshing change. But the dating scene sucks there! It seemed like all guys wanted to do was hook up. People seemed to move there to party not settle down. If you did meet someone who wanted to settle down than they were expecting you to move to small town middle america and live near their family. Also every guy I met expected every girl to get plastic surgery. It's the rule not the exception there.

I would recommend North Scottsdale, central Phoenix near Paradise Valley, or near the mall in Scottsdale. You probably won't like the age of the boys in Tempe.

Also the dryness really bothered me since I grew up in a humid environment. I had to use a humidifier.

So sorry to be so negative about it. I'm glad I had that experience but never again.

Some positives... everyone in shape, good looking people, warm weather, easy going people, sedona, lake havasu, low cost of living, and hiking.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
I lived in Phoenix for 2 years before I left. I was like you and thought it would be a refreshing change. But the dating scene sucks there! It seemed like all guys wanted to do was hook up. People seemed to move there to party not settle down. If you did meet someone who wanted to settle down than they were expecting you to move to small town middle america and live near their family. Also every guy I met expected every girl to get plastic surgery. It's the rule not the exception there.

I would recommend North Scottsdale, central Phoenix near Paradise Valley, or near the mall in Scottsdale. You probably won't like the age of the boys in Tempe.

Also the dryness really bothered me since I grew up in a humid environment. I had to use a humidifier.

So sorry to be so negative about it. I'm glad I had that experience but never again.

Some positives... everyone in shape, good looking people, warm weather, easy going people, sedona, lake havasu, low cost of living, and hiking.
Hopefully, "teeniebeenie" will heed your advice, especially since it is now apparent she has never even been to Phoenix. Phoenix is one one of the few cities that actually fits the definition of a true hell. I give it one month tops until she is purchasing a plane ticket back home.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Hopefully, "teeniebeenie" will heed your advice, especially since it is now apparent she has never even been to Phoenix. Phoenix is one one of the few cities that actually fits the definition of a true hell. I give it one month tops until she is purchasing a plane ticket back home.
It's really only "hell" from about June to October when the temperatures constantly exceed 100 degrees. Other than that, what would be considered hellish about Phoenix? There are other large cities that are much worse than this in terms of unemployment, economic conditions, crime, etc. Detroit and New Orleans are two place which instantly come to mind. Talk about two well known cities that have basically become cesspools!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM

122 posts, read 210,028 times
Yeah it is all relative. But I have lived in so many places including NYC, Santa Monica, Spain, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. There are worse places and there are better places. I just heard so many people regret their move to Phoenix when I was out there. She may love it or she may hate it. IMO it was hell from mid April to mid September. Some advice... watch out for seniors driving on the wrong side or the road. I saw it 3 times when I was out there!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,635 times
the heat is no worse than the cold of the midwest. I equate the summers to back home in michigan in the winter. 1.) you don't want to be outside 2.) you travel from heated (cooled) home to heated house, to heated job, then again in reverse.
Only difference is it is much more tolerable at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area